SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
buddy is looking for his t5 awd and cannot decide between the evolve and kw v1 coilovers. Which set goes lower? Evolve claims their coils go 10mm lower which isn't that significant but after purchasing their "lowering" springs and being completely dissapointed with the drop they gave, we want to make sure before blowing $1500+ on a set of coils.

any opinions? right now it's on elevate springs that have 2 coils cut off front and rear.

we need it to go lower than this.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts

There's my AWD on KW V1. That's the absolute lowest it will go, and I had to grind the front stabilizer bar endlink mounts on the strut bodies to allow for an extra 8mm. Not sure about the Elevate coilovers, but I found them rather pricey. I chose the KWs because they have a solid reputation and I saved about $500 compared to the Elevate ones.

Oh, and your buddy should invest in some sort of protection for his oil pan if he's gonna go any lower than that...as mine sits now, the skid plate is only inches from the ground.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the pic. rather disappointed in that drop (no offense if you're happy with it, everyone has their preference). Do they have a regular spring and a helper spring, or just a single spring?

not really worried about ground clearance, we come from the vw world if you haven't noticed from the username--slammed cars are our ****

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Yes, there are helper springs. I've heard mixed responses regarding the removal of them. I decided just to leave them in.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
seriously? um that makes a deal then. helpers will decrease ride comfort a little on a daily driver but for a weekend warrior, you won't care.

so they have the little springs on the bottom (or top) like these FKs?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i just called KW to confirm and they told me that the V1s do have a front helper spring and rear perch. we should be golden once we pull that junk out. thanks for your help MM!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
With the helpers removed, you can go quite a bit lower. I have mine back in now, but I got a reasonable amout of drop by removing them.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Yeah, no problem man. Helper springs aren't actually there to increase ride comfort though...rather, they assist the main spring to seat properly during rebound should the wheel leave the ground. However, I would assume that the lower you go without them, ride comfort will decrease substantially. I noticed an increase in ride harshness when I dropped them that extra 8mm in the front. But hey, if comfort is no concern for you...do it up. If you're tracking the car though and throwing it hard into the corners, the helper springs will help that main spring stay in place properly.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
With the helpers removed, you can go quite a bit lower. I have mine back in now, but I got a reasonable amout of drop by removing them.
Hey Moofluffen...just some questions for you...

How much lower did you go without those helper springs and how was the ride quality? Did you experience any issues with them out and why did you put them back in?

Any pics of the car without them? :)

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Got another 1/2" out of the front I'd say. I didn't remove the rear perches because my low offset wheels would be kissing those fenders lol.
They're back in right now because it was "clunky". Ride quality wasn't really any changed but the clunk was kinda concerning.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Good stuff. Yeah, when I was faced with the decision of removing the helpers or grinding the stabilizer mounts, I went with the latter because I did some research and knew that I would encounter some issues like that. I may not be able to tuck my tires, but I think I made the right choice (even though I voided my warranty, lol). Next time I'll go to 235 tires from my current 225s...that'll help a bit.

Just for reference...here's a pic of my coilovers when I got them...I've circled the stabilizer bar endlink mounts and drew a line where I had to grind them in order to make use of the remaining threads.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
lol yeah I ditched those too, I figure they can't be that important. I don't plan to take the helpers back out... it's reasonably low so I'll live.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This s40 will never see the track and will be more of a rare head turner at some meets and car shows. ride quality is important, but ever with the helpers and perches removed from the KWs, I'm sure it rides better than the cut spring combo on it now.

Aren't those VW GTI wheels? How'd those fit the S40? I likey...
haha yes yes, those were the wheels off my mk6 gti. you volvo guys gotta expand your horizons a bit :)
he's running 5x108 to 5x112 adapters to run those wheels. he's probably going to end up buying either rotiforms or CCWs before summer so that's why we need something to go lower than those springs. Due to the limited selection of 5x108 wheels, it's easier to find something with aggressive fitment from either of those two companies since they custom build/drill each wheel.

thanks everyone for your help!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My guess is adapters. Could be a fill and re-drill though.

Looks to be OEM VW "Huff" wheels.
beat me to it! yes, they're 1'' front and 1.25'' rear adapters I believe. so somewhere around 18x7.5 et26/19 front/rear. The wheels are VW "Detroit", huffs are similar but have gunmetal windows and came on the mk5.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
lol Detroits were my second guess.

Judging by your username... I'm assuming you have a rado. Any pics??
If you guys need any fitment help, give me a shout ;)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
had two rados, one 92 vr6 and another 92 vrt but have sold both since. both the worst and best vw's i've ever owned for many reasons haha. i only own a mk6 gti now though. i just carry this forum name around because i've had it on vwvortex since 2004.

1 - 20 of 161 Posts