SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I saw that pic of the XC90R that was posted. That got me to thinking, what other R models is Volvo planning?

Has anyone else heard anything beyond the S60 and the V70?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
I had no idea about an X90R, would be cool though. There will definitely be an S60R coming out in about a years time, but again, volvo would be stupid not to make another V70R concidering how well the others sold. (See PCC and PCC2 for photos) http://www.volvospy.com

Good luck,
David
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,997 Posts
The XC90R at this point is speculation and a very cool pic in our galleries by InDy. Like he said above, the S60R and V70R won't be too far from the PCC and PCC2 (again, see our gallery).

Volvo has expressed interest in expanding their more enthusiast driven models, as long as they can maintain their safety image. From what I understand, an S80R is under consideration, and with the DEEP partsbin associated with the new Focus platform, I'd imagine 30/40/50 Rs would be a possibility as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
And really, who wouldn't like that?
Imagine all cars volvo makes available in "R" variants, how much would that kick A$$?
David
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
39,289 Posts
G
quote:

Originally posted by [email protected]:
The XC90R at this point is speculation and a very cool pic in our galleries by InDy. Like he said above, the S60R and V70R won't be too far from the PCC and PCC2 (again, see our gallery).

Volvo has expressed interest in expanding their more enthusiast driven models, as long as they can maintain their safety image. From what I understand, an S80R is under consideration, and with the DEEP partsbin associated with the new Focus platform, I'd imagine 30/40/50 Rs would be a possibility as well.
Unfortunately, an S80R and a XC90R are wishful thinking, at best. The first "R" variants we are going to see will ne in S60 and, very possible, V70. Next in line, the new S40 but not till after 2005.

I have seen a prototype C70R (back in 1999), kinda funky looking, Dark Blue with two HUGE white stripes running down the center of the whole length of the car. Never made it to production, though.

Yannis
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,564 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by GrecianVolvo:
I have seen a prototype C70R (back in 1999), kinda funky looking, Dark Blue with two HUGE white stripes running down the center of the whole length of the car. Never made it to production, though.

So..you mean that car looked like a skunk? I can't help not to laugh at those r1cers doing that to their Geo Metro...or worse, some do that to their black cars.

But believe or not, TechArt did that kinda stripes thingy to their Porsche, too. Except they use the 'tire tread' looking graphic for the stripes. Hehehe...looked like some road kill.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,331 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by The_one_n_only:
Except they use the 'tire tread' looking graphic for the stripes. Hehehe...looked like some road kill.
I saw a really nice looking silver 5 series BMW once, except it had this weird looking "racing" stripe. As I got a little closer, I could see it was that horrible tire tread graphic right down the center. I can't believe someone could do that to such a nice car!!

quote:

Originally posted by The_one_n_only:
So..you mean that car looked like a skunk?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A C70R sounds natural to me. Actually, they could have just badged the high output turbo version an R. It has 17s generally and the same motor as the V70R AWD. I wonder why they didn't?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
39,289 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by [email protected]:
Do you have any further info on that C70R? Pics?
No George, at that place, they would not let us use cameras. I saw some very strange cars. Also, that C70 I saw I was told that it had AWD (!), it really looked kind oe neat; the stripes were done very tastefully and the BBS 18 inchers really made the car nicer! I just know (and they did too) that it would have never made it if it ever came here. I saw so many crashed convertibles, my heart bled. They told me that they were from safety testing where they smashed these cars head-on, broadsided them with...buses (!!!) and also rolled them over at speeds of more than 50mph...Crazy!

Yannis
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,564 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by GrecianVolvo:

No George, at that place, they would not let us use cameras. I saw some very strange cars. Also, that C70 I saw I was told that it had AWD (!), it really looked kind oe neat; the stripes were done very tastefully and the BBS 18 inchers really made the car nicer! I just know (and they did too) that it would have never made it if it ever came here.
Yannis
So I guess the rumor I heard about some 4 AWD C70 was made in Volvo's headquarter in Sweden was correct then. I just can't imagine how heavy that thing will be.

Just a thought, tho....how about a Haldex AWD C70?!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,997 Posts
That would require a lot of dev. If Volvo really is working on a C60, it'll most likely go in that.

That said, that C70R sounds pretty cool. I wonder if they'll ever let us take a look, once the C70 is out of production. 18-inch BBS. Do they sell those in Europe? The ones on C70s are 17" right?
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top