SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at swapping the lower cushion of my VR's drivers seat due to what feels like the heater pad having shifted and bunched up annoyingly right on my thigh.
Given the small numbers of Volvo's in general locally, and certainly no R's in the wreckers I was wondering what other P2's share that cushion - I will see if any have good cushions I can pinch

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I think only later P2 S60 T5 Sport models (possibly the last run of V70 T5s as well?) got the same pads, but with different leather. If the heater pad bunching is the only issue, I would think removing the skin, fixing the heater pad and affixing it to the pad and putting your skin back on will be much easier than finding a new seat pad.

·
Registered
16,965 Posts
I think only later P2 S60 T5 Sport models (possibly the last run of V70 T5s as well?) got the same pads, but with different leather. If the heater pad bunching is the only issue, I would think removing the skin, fixing the heater pad and affixing it to the pad and putting your skin back on will be much easier than finding a new seat pad.

Most P2 T5 have the same seats. Different leather. Only in Tan or Charcoal but it last 100x longer then the R leather.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I watched a couple of videos and it looks like its sort of bonded to the cushion foam, something I don't have the highest level of confidence I can resolve in a timeline thats workable
Given that mines a daily driver I'm thinking of having a swappable cushion and taking it to a local upholsterer as a day job.
We have almost as many T5's as R's in NZ (stuff all). so this thread is to see what other models might share the same cushion, I know the leather is different but in this case thats not an issue.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
To what I think is your question, No bottom foam or seat bottom can replace/swap the R seat using your old R leather.
ALL complete P2 full seats are interchangeable.
If yours is a 2005-2007 you need to stick with one of those to not have any electrical issues. If it's an 04, use a seat from a 2001-2004.

I'm not sure if a R seat bottom foam with or without the heater grid, is still available new. You would need to ask your dealer. If they are I can get you one at wholesale as can a few others here.

Does that answer your question?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
To what I think is your question, No bottom foam or seat bottom can replace/swap the R seat using your old R leather.
ALL complete P2 full seats are interchangeable.
If yours is a 2005-2007 you need to stick with one of those to not have any electrical issues. If it's an 04, use a seat from a 2001-2004.

I'm not sure if a R seat bottom foam with or without the heater grid, is still available new. You would need to ask your dealer. If they are I can get you one at wholesale as can a few others here.

Does that answer your question?
That does get me closer than I was, thank you.

" No bottom foam or seat bottom can replace/swap the R seat using your old R leather" - is the cushion itself unique to the R ?.
Mines an 06 VR, I have a lump that sits right on the lower bolster and digs into my thigh.
The leather etc is fine, it was just as I looked at the practicalities of what might need to be done that I have drawn the conclusion that it really can only be the seat heater which has detached or moved somehow.
It also looks like it's not especially successful trying to remove that pad as it is glued in some manner to the foam of the seat cushion (13 year old foam + glue = mixed results based on past adventures).

I am happy to hear from anyone who has successfully re-glued that heater part, I'm just anticipating that it will be more grief than it's worth with sub-par results (I might be completely wrong).

So it is the actual foam cushion with factory heater that I seek, preferably plug n play (I read your feedback as being that there is a difference between early P2's and 06-07 seats).
Here in New Zealand we have very few Volvos in the wreckers and almost No R's in the whole country, so while I kinda hoping something like an 04 S60 or XC70 seat might be a match, if it needs to be a T5 or an R, I might be waiting quite a while....

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Couple ideas.
If I remember correctly cushion foam and heating pads are two separate parts and thus could be purchased separately. The heating pad is a giant sticker with a peel-off paper backing. And the last one: left and right cushions are identical, the only difference is that the pass side has an occupancy sensor.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats what it looks like in the video I saw for an S60, but the question is can it be peeled back and re-stuck with a reasonable degree of success ?
I don't want to rip my seats out, newly purchased hog ring pliers in hand, only to find out I can't actually fix it and have to go through the whole exercise again weeks later

·
Registered
13,955 Posts
I've peeled off and re-used seat heaters before, on my seat reupholstery project on an 850 a few years ago. I'm surprised the heating pad is bunched up on yours - never seen them move like that.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've peeled off and re-used seat heaters before, on my seat reupholstery project on an 850 a few years ago. I'm surprised the heating pad is bunched up on yours - never seen them move like that.
It's still an assumption untill I pull my seat apart, but I can't think of anything else in there that it might be, I'm open to other ideas but either way I'm going to be pulling it apart - I just want to be prepared to resolve whatever I find so I don't have my car off the road for ages

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thank you, and that's my thinking too.
I have an auto upholstery shop a mile from where I work and I could probably get them to do it as a same-day job - I used them to re-cover my A pillar covers and they did a nice job.

I still suspect shipping will kill it, but I'll check out that listing.
Are driver and passenger sides the same ? we drive on the right here so in effect it's your passenger seat I'm repairing.
Interestingly they list it as S60/V70 which is sort of the question I had in the beginning - what other Volvos share this cushion so I can search for a local car that's in the wreckers like an XC70 I see one is breaking now.

·
Registered
13,955 Posts
The R seat cushions are a totally different shape than a normal V70 or XC70. The only one that would potentially fit would be from a T5 like was suggested or one from a car with the sport package, ie upgraded seats.

·
Registered
683 Posts
The seat heater pad is glued onto the foam and has some pretty delicate wires running through it. If you're going to change out the seat foam, you should buy a new seat heater grid. They're not that expensive and trying to salvage that part is probably going to end up with you having either a non-functioning seat heater or a short and a fire.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The R seat cushions are a totally different shape than a normal V70 or XC70. The only one that would potentially fit would be from a T5 like was suggested or one from a car with the sport package, ie upgraded seats.
When I searched on the ebay listings part number in Tasca it was just for the actual heater pad, not the cushion.
I'm really not liking the idea of unsticking and re-gluing that pad, like mentioned below there's the wires to consider as well as my previous issues with gluing anything to 12 year plus foam

·
Registered
13,955 Posts
When I searched on the ebay listings part number in Tasca it was just for the actual heater pad, not the cushion.
I'm really not liking the idea of unsticking and re-gluing that pad, like mentioned below there's the wires to consider as well as my previous issues with gluing anything to 12 year plus foam
Oh, okay, I was confused. Yes, I would imagine the seat heater pad is the same across several models and to cleanerPA's point, I have burned a hold through one of my seat covers many years ago from a broken heating element.

·
Registered
487 Posts
ebay item: Understand the part number is not for whole cushion, etc. But the ad says - "Volvo S60 V70 XC70 Front heated seat cushion Volvo part number 30749346 with frame."
As a USED item, I would guess he would not pull the heating element off the cushion and sell it with frame... I would send him a message and ask 2 things: 1. confirm it is the whole unit, cushion, heating element and frame and 2. if he will ship it W/O frame... cheaper shipping... (OK, 3. what will the shipping cost be??)

·
Registered
683 Posts
If you're going to do this job, get a new heating element and a new seat foam. The foam is going to be beat up from years of being sat upon and the heating element is much easier to deal with when you're talking about all new parts.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ebay item: Understand the part number is not for whole cushion, etc. But the ad says - "Volvo S60 V70 XC70 Front heated seat cushion Volvo part number 30749346 with frame."
As a USED item, I would guess he would not pull the heating element off the cushion and sell it with frame... I would send him a message and ask 2 things: 1. confirm it is the whole unit, cushion, heating element and frame and 2. if he will ship it W/O frame... cheaper shipping... (OK, 3. what will the shipping cost be??)
Based on the posts above as this doesn't appear to be specifically an R seat cushion then I'm likely wasting my time. So far I haven't found any listings for an new R seat cushion on Tasca etc (heating pads yes)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts