SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I successfully did the April software update, I have two days left on my VIDA license. I did not do a lot of exploring and frankly I don't want to do any experimentation and end up bricking the car, but what "cool" things to people activate or deactivate in the US?

For example, can any features be turned on that are VERBOTTEN in the US that are normally available in other countries?

While in Vida I saw a whole check list of things that could be disabled. Is there a list of things that can be enabled that is hidden?

·
Registered
430 Posts
It would be sweet if you got the matrix headlight feature enabled. Search search, but I doubt they left that available for us market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I ended up printing out as much of the information as I could. You are correct that it will show you what can be disabled. Remember VIDA is car specific in that it is looking at your car and its attributes. So chances are that it will not allow you to turn something on that was left off. As an example, when I added the towing module the shop I went to for the download had to request that software. I did not watch to see if VIDA after reviewing all the modules told the guy what to download. I would think it would have. I will share that I have wanted to add fog lights to the front of my car. The T8 uses the area where the passenger fog light would go for drawing air to cool the battery. I was trying to figure out how to turn on the power. I have the connectors at the sight but they do not go live. I could not find software. However, I did find as I dug through everything where a value of 1 or 0 goes which would send 100% of electricity to the fogs. I was unable to change it, probably because I don't know what I am doing. Even if I could energize the wire harness, I would still need to figure out how to bring in enough cooling capacity so as to not compromise the traction battery as it charges or maintains proper temperature. You can learn about removing various components from the car as well as install instructions. It is not the easiest software program to navigate through. The techs who use it everyday have figured it out and know what to do, where as we are still trying to figure it out. The VIDA will show what options are on the car. You can release the rear electric brake to facilitate changing the pads. It is kind of cool but scary at the same time if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
It would be sweet if you got the matrix headlight feature enabled. Search search, but I doubt they left that available for us market.

I did not even realize this existed. Looks like it is under consideration in the US, so no immediate good news:

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/nhtsa-proposal-matrix-adaptive-led-headlights/

I went back out to the car and hooked it up again and these are what I see. Anything cool I should turn on while I can?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I wish there ws a way to add the B&O stereo. I have the amp and all the speakers, but cant turn the subwoofer on...

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
it pisses me off we have to go back to the stealership just to change the size of the tire/wheels...

·
Registered
252 Posts
The only thing I miss is the 'Speed Limiter' option which is showing in the guide but is not enabled for US markets. When I wrote the same to VCNA, they just said, sorry it's not available. I am sure, user guide's are country specific and don't understand why they have to put it in the guide but not enable it. I don't see any regulations against it as I see it in other brands. Need to check if we can get that somehow. very useful feature.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I spy Polestar Optimization on there. :p
Is that the infamous Polestar I see so much referenced on this forum - "Perf. Opt B4204t27+appl"? Pure software, no hardware changes are also required?

I hate to start clicking and installing things and have a brick! So I tried to order it just to see if it would let me and it would indeed permit that. $1245! I thought that what dealers changed? So it must be the Polestarl.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The first thing I would like to change is the "Short Flashing Sequence" when you can automatically flash the turn signal 3 times by moving the turn signal lever momentarily up or down against its spring return action. I would change the flash sequence count to 5 flashes. I had changed this feature on my VW to 5 flashes using the Ross Tech VCDS. My opinion is that three flashes is too short for notifying someone and then following through when changing lanes.

But note: I am not even aware if this "Short Flashing Sequence" count can be changed using VIDA.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have paddle shifters and a heated steering wheel in our V90. If there is a selection for enabling those items, even when the hardware is not installed, can the hardware be added later so you do not need to visit the dealer again?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Is that the infamous Polestar I see so much referenced on this forum - "Perf. Opt B4204t27+appl"? Pure software, no hardware changes are also required?

I hate to start clicking and installing things and have a brick! So I tried to order it just to see if it would let me and it would indeed permit that. $1245! I thought that what dealers changed? So it must be the Polestarl.
Yep, that's it. Pure software, no hardware changes.

That's a really tiny file though, but could be right if it's just a few fuel and transmission shift map changes.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Long story short: VIDA will only allow you (as a non Volvo dealer) to install certain packages in that list. For example, if you try to buy the Polestar package, I don't think it will let you.

Most features that we'd like, are market dependent, so you'd have to do the "change of market" thing to do that, which I also doubt is allowed by non-dealer VIDA. In addition, there's a "car configuration file" that you cannot edit, that controls all the fun features you might want to turn on (but obviously, can't). Not even dealers can directly edit that, it has to be done higher up in the food chain. I doubt the encryption is superb... But we're talking a serious reverse engineering endeavor to get at it.

As to what you can do... I like to reset my fuel adaptions, run a calibration of the 360 degree cameras, and occasionally do a re-alignement of the ASDM (e.g. Pilot Assist) if I have a spare day or two in VIDA. Those are all actually helpful. Other than that... There really isn't much to change, except wheel sizes, and removing features you already have.

Disappointing I know. I've looked through literally every exposed feature in VIDA. Is what it is.

·
Registered
664 Posts
What other OEM’s will allow you to add such functionality as active headlamps? I’d guess Audi, as they are shipping US spec cars with the hardware already?

Edit: I’m familiar with VAG-COM/VCDS (not on anything “new” though), no idea on BMW or Merc “STAR” software?

·
Registered
132 Posts
What other OEM’s will allow you to add such functionality as active headlamps? I’d guess Audi, as they are shipping US spec cars with the hardware already?

Edit: I’m familiar with VAG-COM/VCDS (not on anything “new” though), no idea on BMW or Merc “STAR” software?
I've read that BMWs with Laserlight have the full functionality deactivated from the factory (5AP is the package/code). One reason (other than antiquated DOT regulations) I've read is that the lights that are for sale in the US are different from EU sales. Although I've read how people have changed the coding to activate the full functionality. What I've seen on YouTube is pretty impressive.

I'd be curious if Volvos have similar functionality deactivated for US use.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Long story short: VIDA will only allow you (as a non Volvo dealer) to install certain packages in that list. For example, if you try to buy the Polestar package, I don't think it will let you.

Most features that we'd like, are market dependent, so you'd have to do the "change of market" thing to do that, which I also doubt is allowed by non-dealer VIDA. In addition, there's a "car configuration file" that you cannot edit, that controls all the fun features you might want to turn on (but obviously, can't). Not even dealers can directly edit that, it has to be done higher up in the food chain. I doubt the encryption is superb... But we're talking a serious reverse engineering endeavor to get at it.

As to what you can do... I like to reset my fuel adaptions, run a calibration of the 360 degree cameras, and occasionally do a re-alignement of the ASDM (e.g. Pilot Assist) if I have a spare day or two in VIDA. Those are all actually helpful. Other than that... There really isn't much to change, except wheel sizes, and removing features you already have.

Disappointing I know. I've looked through literally every exposed feature in VIDA. Is what it is.
How do you do the recalibrations?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts