SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Swedespeeders--<P>I had a heated discussion with a gentleman today over lunch as to his decision to purchase another type of vehicle in the V40's price and size class. Without going into details it was obvious that this person sought something a little bit more "trendy" when making his decision (SUV.)<P>So what factors led you to the S/V40??<P>[email protected]

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well, I considered a number of cars when I was looking around, primarily the Alfa Romeo 156, the Audi A4 and the VW Passat. None of those offers the tourist and diplomatic sales program though. The Volvo was about the same price as the others (except the Audi) but when I was offered the TDS option, it became much less expensive, with a much higher level of standard equipment. Besides, around here, there are a lot of A4s and Passats, and quite a few 156s, but the Volvo really stands out, because there simply aren't that many around (although that is starting to change). I'm very happy with my choice, and would make the same one again!

·
Registered
41 Posts
While I haven't bought my car yet I'm going to get a V40.<P>I considered the VW Jetta wagon, Passat wagon, Saab 9-3 and Subaru Legacy outback.<P>The Jetta wagon struck me as being too expensive and didn't come in the trim and engine level I wanted. A GLX at $32K (Canadian) was too much for a small car. I didn't want leather or the VR6 engine.<P>The Subaru didn't fit, my head was at the same level as the door sill. In a side impact collision my temple would have hit the grab handle square on and made me an organ donor. They were a little on the pricey side too.<P>The Saab was nice but my wife didn't like it. Maybe for my next car - the wife can have the wagon.<P>The Passat was the car that we test drove in comparison to the V40 & V70. We drove a country road with two wooden bridges and some steep, twisty turns. I took all three cars on the same drive to fairly compare them. We found the Passat's seats and ride to be overly stiff almost harsh. The VW sales rep kept on saying how they were designed for the perfect roads of the autobahn. That's great but I don't drive on the autobahn! When my wife went 'ouch' when I drove over a pothole I knew that the Passat wasn't the car for us.<P>I'm getting the V40 for the ride, seats and speed. The car felt like it was flying across the one stretch of road and handled the steep parts really well. <P>The price tag in Canada is pretty good - a little cheaper than a 1.8T Passat. I also like how I don't see a whack of them on the road like most SUV's and the Jetta. I read an article that talked about how station wagons are 'understated' unlike showy SUV's. Besides SUV's aren't very practical, use too much gas (hard on the environment and wallet) and aren't particularly safe with that high centre of gravity.<P>I'd much rather have a Cross Country than a SUV.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I waited for 3 years for the 40 series to come to North America so I really didn't WANT anything other than an S40. I have a few friends that have New Beetles and I almost got talked into one but they're so "common." I'm not 'snooty' enough for a Merc, I'm not Bimmer material, I don't care for Audi, Saab is... Saab. The only American made car I ever owned were Oldsmobiles but with Olds on the way out there goes that idea again. I guess I've driven Volvos for so many years I can't see myself in anything else.<P>There is only one other car I would ever consider, a Holden Commodore SS.<P>

·
Registered
415 Posts
If I wouldnt have gotten approved for the S40 I would have gone after the A4 with Quattro. I like the Lexus IS300 Sport and I would have considered a Toyota (TRD equipped of course).<P><BR>Hey Buzzzz I like the Saab!! LOL! Oldsmobile... mm an Aurora would have made my day... BUT<P>I love the S40 and the S40 Racing car made my mind up when I first saw it in 1997 at Silverstone, so I guess i'm with you.. I've waited a long time for this car.<P><BR>Carlos<BR>2001 Volvo S40 "Volvo for life"

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
I own a 2001 Jetta TDI and would have got a Jetta wagon for the wife but:<BR>TDI and auto suck<BR>VW screwed me hard.<P> So I ended up with the Volvo V40, first thing that got me is this year the car has 5 more HP, a variable exhaust timming cam (not listed but there) and a 5 speed auto. The car gets 40+ MPGs on the open road. That alone would have sold me. <P> Performance, needless to say that Volvo worked on the 5 speed after buku complaints about the 4 speed and slugish shifting. The 5 speed is happy at all speeds and performance levels. My God this thing is fast! Don't be fooled by an Oldman my last car was a 450 HP LS1 Camaro.<P> Road performance, yes the VW has better road performance, however I never drive like a young fool anymore, ok well sometimes. so the Volvo's MUCH better ride and far more comfortable seats are what the oldlady likes.<P>Overall I'm very happy with the Volvo and it is an head turner trendy car where I'm at. <P>26 MPG is my average and I'm sure it will go up with breakin, this is 90% city driving.<P>I will chip the V40 to 202 HP and change the filter to 205 HP. I will then preceed to the nearest street fight and put the BIG hurt on any ricers I find there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts