SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With gas on the rise what octane are you running? I was running 94 octane for the past few months but it's starting to get expensive so I switched to 91 roughly a tank and half ago and I'm curious if I could even possibly go to 89 or 87 and if going to a lower octane will I actually save money or will it just result in poor fuel economy making putting in the lower octane pointless?

I'm in Toronto,Ontario , Canada.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Meh I run premium. Whats the price diffrence at the end when you fill up??? less than 10 dollars.... i mean way less than 10 to fill up. I read in the manual the t5 cars ideally need to be run on premium so why risk it for 5 bucks??? but thats just my opinion.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea but saving $5 per fill up over the course of year adds up. I know it calls for premium but I was just curious what everyone else is running.

·
Registered
839 Posts
i put 93 in mine, most times its shell or chevron, y'know quality stuff. but when i'm strapped on cash i'll put in 89. *shrug

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Welp I would never EVER run 87 in my car, I would hate to lose MPG and engine performance. The difference between 91 and 93 is usually only 3 cents a gallon so I always give my baby the 93 @ shell. Whats the point in losing 2 MPG on 87... I get 26 combined on premium, doesn't make sense to fill up more on a lessor grade.

(I have used 89 just once and saw a decrease in MPG and had a slower car, not worth it!)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Costco 93 for me, 95% of the time. When traveling up I-95 to NY I get 93 at Shell. I tested MPG for a few weeks on and off, 89 vs. 93 and found I got roughly 1.5-2mpg better mileage with 93. Worth it for that alone IMO.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Costco 93 for me, 95% of the time. When traveling up I-95 to NY I get 93 at Shell. I tested MPG for a few weeks on and off, 89 vs. 93 and found I got roughly 1.5-2mpg better mileage with 93. Worth it for that alone IMO.
89 vs 93 I lost 2 MPG! I agree not worth the 3 dollars per fill-up you save if you have to fill up more!

·
Registered
837 Posts
All we get in my area is 91. When I got the car it had 85 and it ran like crap. Started using 91 with new plugs and its alive agian. I would never go below 89. Im a college student so sometimes I have to go 89 for a bit so I can get lunch those days lol. Ive heard rumors that Denver has 94 and 100 or something like that. Next time Im at a Broncos game Im looking for some of that stuff. Make the trip home more fun.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The manual does say nothing less than 91, that being said; you seem to want a corporate store in Jersey. I've used Shell's 93 the past 2 years and she loved it(with good oil) until recently and it turned out the shell went private and they changed the gas. My mileage and torque improved when I found a corporate shell. Sunoco's 93 also woke her up. If you drive your car hard, use a better gas and you will notice the car strain less; that alone tells me I'm saving a lot more on potential problems than 3 to 10 cents per gallon.

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
Also running 93. For me, difference in a fill up between 87 and 93 would be less than $3, and I get better mileage with the 93 (as others said), so it's not like a loss at each fill up.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Iv been running strictly 93 octane since the day i purchased my car.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
I ran 87 for 2.5 years and dynoed the car on it. I switched to 93 for 2012 and will dyno again to see how much hp is gained. Btw I dynoed at 196fwhp

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk while on the toilet.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I ran 87 for 2.5 years and dynoed the car on it. I switched to 93 for 2012 and will dyno again to see how much hp is gained. Btw I dynoed at 196fwhp.

Hey jn2k108, was they dyno done before or after your performance mods?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I run 94 octane because that's what I had my Autotech tune written for. Before that, I was using 91.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
I normally would run 89 for the first 75,000 miles then the 91 Octane.

Seeing this Turbo got Tuned , it's 91 in cold and 93 when the summer Temps get Hot .

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Iv been running strictly 93 octane since the day i purchased my car.
Same. Only legit gas stations if possible as well. Most of the time it was Shell, but rarely I would use (in order) Exxon or BP. I did get worse mpg with the BP, and I my car didn't really run as smoothly with Exxon either. She really only liked Shell 93.

Consider running Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner periodically to keep things in top shape, especially if you're going to spend a little less on fuel.

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
Consider running Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner periodically to keep things in top shape, especially if you're going to spend a little less on fuel.
Great advice. I run a bottle through my 50 and the wife's 40 every oil change (5K). Even though we only use 93, it's still cheap insurance in the long run imo.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Hey jn2k108, was they dyno done before or after your performance mods?
I think he just had the cat-back and the K & N drop-in filter he has not loaded his tune yet

1 - 20 of 44 Posts