SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have an injen intake. samco pipe and elevate tcv.

im debating on getting a custom made catback with magnaflow muffler
-fmic
-elevate manifold

·
Registered
837 Posts
IMO
intercooler, intercooler, intercooler, if you have the money will be best bang for buck
downpipe next
manifold
then catback

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Intercooler then Downpipe and CBV for sure <- reason i went with those is because all of those provided the most noticable effects.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
The CBV might be a very good next choice , seeing it will take some stress off the TCV . Cost a lot less then the IC .
If it was April going into Summer Heat - I'd get the IC next . There should also be some Tunes going on Sale .

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
disco potato

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
don't bother with the manifold... i don't think anyone with it reported significant gains.

intercooler/downpipe is the way to go. cbv provides no noticeable effect. it's just a replacement part. if you're in pa, i have a couple friends who got turboback's made for $300 and sound amazing. he told me the amish worked on it or something. lol

·
Registered
6,415 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i am in pa, lancaster right near the amish lol. where are these nice cheap exhausts? i want stainless

·
Registered
4,007 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
don't bother with the manifold... i don't think anyone with it reported significant gains.

intercooler/downpipe is the way to go. cbv provides no noticeable effect. it's just a replacement part. if you're in pa, i have a couple friends who got turboback's made for $300 and sound amazing. he told me the amish worked on it or something. lol
This, DP or IC. I would say DP, as you're probably in a cooler climate and an IC won't be as usefull as someone who lives in Texas/Arizona.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
cbv provides no noticeable effect.
lmao yes it does, it makes the boost pressure release ALOT louder and sound different then the stock.. i never said noticable GAINS .. i said noticable effects.
And the stock one is useless for sustaining boost after you get tuned. and the stock diaphram rips after so many miles and years of use. so this and a tcv upgrade should go hand in hand in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
lmao yes it does, it makes the boost pressure release ALOT louder and sound different then the stock.. i never said noticable GAINS .. i said noticable effects.
And the stock one is useless for sustaining boost after you get tuned. and the stock diaphram rips after so many miles and years of use. so this and a tcv upgrade should go hand in hand in my opinion.
please quantify "a lot louder" in decibels. i went back and forth with a stock s40 and my car. both sound similar. also with these aftermarket tcvs with a sport tune seems to be hit or miss unless if you relocate it.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
please quantify "a lot louder" in decibels..
....:rolleyes::facepalm:

i cant exactly say how many but its noticable louder........ can you quantify how loud a stock one is in decibels? :p

anyways besides the cool factor of the sound, theres still a technical significance over the stock one.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts

i cant exactly say how many but its noticable louder........ can you quantify how loud a stock one is in decibels? :p

anyways besides the cool factor of the sound, theres still a technical significance over the stock one.
ok i see why you think it's noticeably louder now. it's because of your intake. on the stock intake, there is no difference in sound of the cbv. more noticeable with the other intakes. lol. therefore the sound is not enhanced by the cbv itself, rather the intake. case and point.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
My girlfriend wants our car to make more turbo noise.. so intake and CBV are the way to go?
I'll get dp and exhaust myself but the gf really want the sound of the turbo/bov

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
any aftermarket intake with the cone filter makes that noise

injen
k&n
gdub
cci
est

·
Registered
3,256 Posts

Agreed. Besides the sound...once you start even adding a hint of power or getting up in miles i would recommend ditching the stocker. the stock unit it is puny and weak like a baby. rubber diaphragm becomes brittle after miles and miles of heat and usage. ask me how i know. ;)

·
Registered
574 Posts
I changed to the Forge CBV and it completely transformed how the engine delivers power. Strong delivery across the board. Prior to installing I had problem maintaining boost on the higher gears, also power delivery could be fluctuating in any rev range. Sometimes strong, other times not. Quite a few surprises when overtaking etc.
The stock CBV removed, showed no sign of tearing or wear for that matter, must have been that pencil strenght spring causing it.

Swap to a new TCV while under there..

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
any aftermarket intake with the cone filter makes that noise

injen
k&n
gdub
cci
est
there are so many different options (and all of them are a lot different) that I still haven't decided.

I've seen a bunch of threads with small pipes, long ones, airbox this, no airbox, hacked this, etc. I can't figure out what's best...

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Lol man, there's no best!
For one thing if you just look at air intake it's not rocket science. The thing is just piping and filtering. Sure they all have their little pros and cons but the difference will be very nominal anyway.

Just digest what they are and make yourself a list of what's important to you:

- Cost
- Look, materials, color, etc...
- Sound (which is mostly a filter thing and how direct it is to the turbo)
- Easy fit
- Type of filters pros and cons (oil, water ingress, protection, heat, more direct or less, etc...)
- Where do you want to take your car with mods (>300Hp or just enough for the experience)

There isn't a great HP gain with these so don't sweat it. If you want an air intake, make your list, chose what fits your needs, and enjoy your work :D

IMO money is better spent else where anyway :p

1 - 20 of 23 Posts