SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 98xc and I have to honestly say I've never hated a car more, it just seems so slow and lumbering and uninspiring; I actually like my wife's 09 corolla way more.
And it isn't that I'm a volvo hater, this was bought to replace a v70, same year, with a 5sp in it that suffered unrepairable damage. My thought was if the v70 was great then how much better with a turbo and AWD. Unfortunately I didn't get to drive it before buying as it had a blown headgasket.

Some amount of work later it was running, admittedly faster then my old v70, definitely not as fast as my 240+T but it didn't turn well or even handle well this despite an initial upgrade to 16" wheels from the old v70, hate to think what the 15s were like. A couple months later the rear shocks blew out, they're still out, I couldn't believe the price for nonperformance shocks; wish I could get a setup from triangles unlimited but that isn't happening anytime even remotely soon.

Fast forward to Feb and the light switch disintegrates. Not a big deal, I figure I'll pick one up at the JY, only problem is I never find the inspiration to go get the switch and the car sits till june, the inspection lapses in the meantime. Come june I decide I need to start driving it into Rochester so I finally toss in a new switch which I purchase at NAPA, first trip and the car claims it is overheating so I drive it home with the heater on full blast and all the windows down. Toss in a new thermostat, did this during the rebuild but they're cheap, not the solution and the code suggests a temp sensor. A month later I finally make it to the JY and get two of them, both newish looking. Only last week did I finally bother to find the time to install it. Clear the code and take it out and the problem is solved except I still hate the car.

I just had a new kid arrive last week and will now need it if the whole family is to go for hikes in the spring. Wife, 2 kids and a boxer/lab mix do not fit in a corolla but they do a XC.
Current plan is to get it inspected finally, fix the rear latch which is busted closed so the dog can go in there, get a new gas cap cover, ditch the AWD driveshaft to hopefully improve gas milage and maybe see how to make the brakes not feel like crap. Somewhere in there I need to find used Nivomats or an alternative.

So why do you like yours, what inspires you in it. The only things I really find I like is the sound of the turbo, the sunroof and the heated seats.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So, you buy a 14 year old car without a test drive and you're complaining that it's a piece of crap? I bought my '98 V70XC new and have driven for 264,000 miles so far. I still love it after all these years. I never expected it to be a sports car. It's an AWD wagon! It does what it was designed to do flawlessly and dependably. I have always maintained it and never flogged it.
I think you have unrealistic expectations for a 14 year old car that may have all the useful life sucked out of it before you bought it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only 11 years old when I bought it and still has half the miles yours has so yes I did expect something better. Wasn't expecting a sports car, it is a volvo, but having owned a v70, 2 91 240s, an 81 240 wagon that was 20 years old with over 300k+miles when I bought it and far more fun and currently own a 79 bertone besides I think I was justified in expecting a certain level of drivability that this just seems to lack.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
These are not like older RWD Volvos, they need MAINTENANCE, plus suspension and certain other rebuilds every 100K or so.
NOT for a person who has to J/Y it for the smallest used parts all the time

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have both a 99 V 70 R and a 99 XC, and I find the XC actually quite torquey and responsive, but the chassis is fairly normal, not sporty. If you want more juice from the Engine, look at ARD for a tune. Other than that, like the others say, its a comfortable wagon. Great for snowy winters and rough terrain.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
The last thing this guy's car needs is a tune! It'll fall apart. He's gotta get the maintenance under control before adding any go to it.

My '98 has 183,000 miles on it. Sure the maintenance has been enormous on it but it's also run a number of mods and performance upgrades for over 110K of those miles and the car has never left me stranded out on the road aside from a shredded tire from some barbed wire on the highway. It does what it's meant to do, can carry an enormous amount of stuff and I think these cars handle great as long as the suspension is in good shape. Add a set of IPD swaybars and some upgraded endlinks and it's a whole different experience.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These are not like older RWD Volvos, they need MAINTENANCE, plus suspension and certain other rebuilds every 100K or so.
NOT for a person who has to J/Y it for the smallest used parts all the time
Hate to burst your bubble on this but my old 240 wasn't filled with JY parts for the most part, new gauge clusters, better seat covers, or a crack free dash yes. But the 17s that it sported, the bigger brakes that needed the 17s, the turbo, and most of the kit to do so were all new parts and it was maintained with new parts; not hard to figure out what it takes to keep a car running.

The purpose of the post wasn't so that others could recommend how to make my car better, it was what do all of you find enjoyable about your XC, what makes it fun for you. I'm well aware of what my car needs and have a list of repairs already made up for it. But does that mean that at the end I'll have a well maintained polished turd or a car that can actually be more enjoyable to drive then an absolutely base line corolla (picture manual everything including locks with 14" steelies).

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
. But does that mean that at the end I'll have a well maintained polished turd or a car that can actually be more enjoyable to drive then an absolutely base line corolla (picture manual everything including locks with 14" steelies).
Really??? If you honestly don't know the answer to this you should sell the XC now and buy another ****box

1 - 8 of 8 Posts