SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By the time I realized what kind of brand Volvo was, the new Volvo XC60 had just been revealed to the world. Beautiful interior, muscular exterior, safe, and competitive. I was so excited. I managed to convince my parents to get an S60, since my mom needed a safe, quality car with a manual trans. I was in love with the brand.
I soon realized how big a deal it was to replace the S60 with a new one. Everyday I looked for spy shots or news online. I was obsessed. The S60 concept left me feeling like something big was coming. The S60 arrived and I was very impressed. Competitive, sporty, quality, safe, very good looking.
Time has passed now and I look forward to the XC90 replacement. Due to timing and ownership transition, there has been a monstrous delay in the development of this new car, but within a year from now, I will be, once again, extremely excited to see the all new Volvo. The spy shots, the fine details, all of this stuff will be revealed very slowly, a little too slow for my patience. This is a new kind of Volvo that stands out from the rest of the model range. It's expensive, it's huge, it's luxurious, it is really unique and was once very competitive. This Volvo is everything that I love about Volvo. It is still extremely attractive still, and I have to thank the designers of the first generation for there work 15 years ago.
Since the launch of the V40, it seems very clear to me that Volvo is trying to match their products with the Germans. They are trying to be competitive, while at the same time, trying to create something special from the competition. While the S60 Polestar can compete with the RS4 and the M3, the V60 brings luxury and (legitimate) hybrid technology. I like what Volvo is doing (for Europe) and commend Volvo for there work. They are in a situation of new owners, new money, and old products to replace. I feel very confident that the new XC90 will be the actual beginning of an independent Volvo that will be competitive and upmarket.

Now to those who think that you just read something unrelated to the thread title, here is where I'm going. I just want to share some excitement I have for new Volvo products. I also want to remind you that Volvo, near luxury, is probably going to make near future products a bit differently, and probably be more competitive with the Germans. Another words, they are moving up market.

OKAY, so, the point.....Volvo's next product, after the XC90, the refreshed S60, S80, probably should be a coupe. Since the C Volvos consist of the C30 and the C70 right now, both old and not popular, I think there is going to be a major revamp of the C Volvos. I imagine the C30 will not be replaced after this year, and the C70 name doesn't represent the product (S40 convertible starting at $41,000) I see an S60 size coupe/convertible and a S80 coupe/convertible much farther down the road. Either of these coupes and convertibles would be competitive in the market, but do not make sense with the timing of the product cycle. Would Volvo be too late in making an S60 coupe, based on the current generation? Would Volvo be crazy in making a coupe for the next generation S80?
I think either coupe or convertible would look awesome, but I feel that is a major missing link to the model range. Volvo, in order to move up market, does not mean Volvo has to go for the kill and make an S100 right away with V12 engines, or an R8 i8 SLS competitor either. I think Volvo coupes, priced at about $40,000 and $65,000 could be a major plus for the Volvo image. I think it could work!!! Imagine a C80 Polestar!

Tell me, what you think???
What would Your Volvo coupe look like?
How big? How expensive? How competitive?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I think Volvo would be hard pressed to sell a $65,000. It would have to either blow all of the competitors out of the water, which I wouldn't expect to happen, or it has to be many many years away after Volvo works on it's image.

A lower model however might be a good fit provided they don't make the mistake they did with the C70 and it's terribly cheap interior.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess no one cares about volvo coupes.... too bad. I almost bought a 262c bertone. It needed some heavy repairs, but I would love to see a small coupe, a large coupe, and a 4 door fast back CLS kind of volvo

·
Registered
785 Posts
I think Volvo's mistake is not to go toe to toe with the Germans and try to realize higher profits per unit sold. Volvo needs to invest in a RWD platform again and present a coupe above the current C70 range based on a premium RWD platform. I am disappointed that the current C30/C70 are not as spacious (width) as the first generation C70. I really considered buying a 2011 C30 however the interior isn't wide enough for me.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I think Volvo's mistake is not to go toe to toe with the Germans and try to realize higher profits per unit sold. Volvo needs to invest in a RWD platform again and present a coupe above the current C70 range based on a premium RWD platform.
THIS. When I ***GAVE AWAY*** my accursed, miserable, wretched 2001 C70 (manual coupe) I looked at the beautiful, simple lines of the P1800 (and to a lesser extent, the PV544) still parked in my garage and I was once again reminded of what a travesty of fail-wheel drive nanny-computer driven garbage Volvo has become.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
THIS. When I ***GAVE AWAY*** my accursed, miserable, wretched 2001 C70 (manual coupe) I looked at the beautiful, simple lines of the P1800 (and to a lesser extent, the PV544) still parked in my garage and I was once again reminded of what a travesty of fail-wheel drive nanny-computer driven garbage Volvo has become.
My V70 XC has been nothing but nice to me, and it's just a wagon version of your car. What miserable condition do you keep your cars in?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I guess no one cares about volvo coupes.... too bad. I almost bought a 262c bertone. It needed some heavy repairs, but I would love to see a small coupe, a large coupe, and a 4 door fast back CLS kind of volvo
You are wrong, I care about volvo Coupes, and I would be thrilled to see a $65k C80 but I doubt anyone but me would be buying it. The word Phaeton pops up in my head when I think of any Volvo Passenger car at that price point but I do believe it would fare well at around $55k.

What I think: The S60 Convertible would be an excellent idea. Not based on the current model though, but the next one, a 2014 with the updated front fascia and rear bumper, LED accents, etc. There were spyshots of a C60 back in 2011 but they turned out to be just a Photoshop tease...
What would MY coupe look like: I would like the C60 to be relatively close to the existing S60 however I understand that rear seat space would be sacrificed at the loss of a door. That is okay though, I think they can carve in to the trunk a little bit more (even though I know the trunk is already the smallest in class)
How Big: Maybe a few inches longer to accomodate for the extra space taken up by the drop top.
How Expensive: It would come in either the new T4 engine trim available next year, or the T6 with built in Polestar software, for a full blown rush. The prices would be- T4 $38k, T6 $48 (due to engine, AWD, Polestar Tuning, Sports seats and R-Design).
How competitive? There is no competition.
It would undercut the 3-series by a few bucks but would excell in every category. At this point I believe Volvo will make the move upmarket. They will no longer undercut the Bavarians in price, they will match them, but their products that once were slightly behind will now be slightly ahead, and will be even more appealing to the eye. With a solid propaganda machine here in the US, they would do just fine.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think that if Volvo pushed their image of sportiness, good design, higher prices, and modern technology, I think the image of Volvo would seriously lift. The Phaeton stuck out like a sore thumb, and any Volvo starting at $65 would too. If Volvo had 2 or 3 models at $50-$60 that would be good. An S100 is not in the cards right now because nobody would buy it. Nobody would believe in it. These coupes and 4 door fast-back thing is a great lead up to a full size sedan. Yes the C70 is going to be much different I think next time around. Hopefully it won't be the only convertible. Volvo needs an actual coupe.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts

What a load of ****** , speaking as an owner of a C70 for 10 years and having 3 in the family for over 12yrs. The original C70 is a real solid Volvo and is together with the P1800 the most beautifull ever made.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I think that if Volvo pushed their image of sportiness, good design, higher prices, and modern technology, I think the image of Volvo would seriously lift. The Phaeton stuck out like a sore thumb, and any Volvo starting at $65 would too. If Volvo had 2 or 3 models at $50-$60 that would be good. An S100 is not in the cards right now because nobody would buy it. Nobody would believe in it. These coupes and 4 door fast-back thing is a great lead up to a full size sedan. Yes the C70 is going to be much different I think next time around. Hopefully it won't be the only convertible. Volvo needs an actual coupe.
I agree with every single comment you made. Volvo already provides better value, they now need to match the Bavarian companies' prices and provide even more features to slam the Germans with value and quality. 50-60k Volvos are the future of Volvo, I am sure the new XC90 will be in that category, and it should be. I hope the new XC90 brings all of the Volvo techs together. The V40 safety systems, V40 dashboard, the new 8 speed tranny, an efficient engine, the new 5th gen Haldex, hopefully (though hard to imagine) improved interior seating, ample space, high utility, ETC. Base price at 48-52k.

Germans charge more for their vehicles and at the end of the day, they are less of a bargain than they act out to be. At the end of the day, their profits are also higher.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
. Base price at 48-52k.

Germans charge more for their vehicles and at the end of the day, they are less of a bargain than they act out to be. At the end of the day, their profits are also higher.
If Volvo raises the price of the XC90 by nearly 10K in one model year they will get slammed by the automotive media and probably consumers alike, especially those who have been waiting for replacements for their older models. A $10K price hike is something that would have to happen incrementally over a number of years. There's definitely room to go up, especially considering the price of the XC60, but they need to do it properly to avoid the vehicle being rejected. Once they price it that high they can't just go back. If there is negative reaction to the price then the model is essentially doomed.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I imagine a good price for the base model would be $42-43, since the XC90 will be the most luxurious and largest Volvo in the lineup. Anyways, a competitive coupe and convertible (separate vehicles!) should be at $36 for the coupe, and $39 for the convertible. Yeah the current C70 should definitely not be the most expensive model considering what its made of. These two vehicles should be called C60 and C60 Convertible, similar to the V40 and V40 Cross Country.

·
Registered
168 Posts
What a load of ****** , speaking as an owner of a C70 for 10 years and having 3 in the family for over 12yrs. The original C70 is a real solid Volvo and is together with the P1800 the most beautifull ever made.
If you had luck with yours, then you should play the lottery - and comparing the C70 to my P1800 or my PV544 was the mistake that got me in trouble. Had Volvo made this car with a decent longitudinal powerplant driving the correct wheels, they probably wouldn't have had as many miserable design failures (e.g. - ETM, horrible A/C design, interference model timing belt - plus all the "maintenance" items that aren't on other cars, like the ABS modules, ignition coils, heater core, etc, etc).

I had better "luck" with Jaguar and even Fiat and Triumph (three brands not exactly known for inexpensive maintenance) than I did with my one-and-only Fail Wheel Drive Volvo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts