SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there, I see the tire size is 205/65/15 on my 2000 V70XC. Trying some KN-90 type snow chain like below. However I found that the space between strut and tire is quite limited. I can fit the chain on, but then it is so close to the strut spring bottom seat and I am kind of worried it could scratch.

Is there special requirement for snow chain on V70XC?

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Geesh, found this, kind of unfortunate.

Chains cannot be used on V 70 XC AWD models equipped with 205/65 R15 tires. Consult your Volvo retailer.

http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/2000/2000_SV70/00sv70_05.htm#pg89

There is no Volvo approved chains for this tire size. :(

Seems the Thule K-Summit K33 fits, but it is way expensive for such an old car.

http://www.amazon.com/Thule-K-Summit-Low-Profile-Passenger-K33/dp/B001ED4Q1Q

This KN-90 type chains are said to fit based on tire size, but I really doubt:
www.amazon.com/Thule-Super-Premium-Passenger-Chain-pairs/dp/B000UNRJ2Y/

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe my best luck is this kind of simple grips as they only take minimal space between tire and strut.

·
Registered
17,715 Posts

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
A good winter tire and you'll never need chains. I have Dunlop Wintersport 3Ds on my V70R and it will drive circles around just about anything in the snow.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But I only go to ski several days a year, and need chains couple of times. Otherwise the weather is not frozen and I am happy with all season tires. So winter tire is not my choice.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Having the wheels the same circumference is important on a viscous coupling type AWD system. Traction is amazing with AWD. There are like a billion videos of people plowing through thick snow in AWD cars. Chains and AWD won't let you drive trough the corners any better, but I don't think that you'll ever be stuck if you drive smart.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My car has 215k miles and I am only driving it as FWD now as I had to take off the AWD propel shaft because vibration problem.

Still, AWD with all season tires are not as good as FWD with tire chains on snow.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
What about socks since you rarely use them? Doesn't get more low profile than that.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts