SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I'm recently new to signing up to Swedespeed and I just bought my first S60 last month. So far I have done a lot of cosmetic work to the car but I am looking to get a new exhaust system. I heard that a 3" straight pipe was pretty decent from reading these forums but I would rather just get an opinion from a larger group of Volvo junkies. I also have a limited budget so I'm looking for something with a better tone over something with better performance. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
501 Posts
I am assuming you have a T5 based on your name, but knowing what year/ model you have helps. A lot of people will say go with a custom exhaust since this is the most cost effective way, but I have been hesitant to do this since going custom means you have nothing to compare the sound to and risk things like drone, it being too loud, or even not loud enough. I have been searching for one and I haven't decided if I am going to get an EST exhaust or the ipd oval exhaust for the Rs. A lot of people have been commenting on the noise levels with the ipd exhaust and it is a bit pricey.

Also catbacks don't really provide any major gains on these cars, a downpipe would be where you see the most improvement if you're looking for performance through the exhaust system. But if you haven't done a tune that would be the most beneficial thing you can do to your car, especially if it is an 05+ T5

·
Registered
27 Posts
Here is my Euro Sport Tuning s60 AWD Touring Catback Exhaust. It sounds as good as it looks. Occasionally they have a exhaust sale keep you eye out for that.

·
Registered
877 Posts
With almost all kits in my opinion except the elevate system they are all to quiet for my taste. If you like loud go with 3 in straight pipe i got a 3in straight pipe done mandrel bends for 175 plus the cost of the downpipe (175), thats about as cheap as it gets. You can always do what i did later down the road and add in a muffler with Vband clamps and have a straight pipe with vband clamps so you can interchange them whenever you want. I switch in my borla xr1 muffler every once in a while when i want it to be mildly quieter.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
loud gets old quick. After ~21 years old you decide its time to grow up and mature a little. EST is a very good choice, especially if your stock exhaust has a good amount of rust on it. EST also has their exhaust on sale right now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The EST S60 touring Exhaust is not extremely loud, but it does have a fantastic deep, and throaty rumble to it. Its great for me cuase where I live you dont want to draw too much attention as the Police Vehicle Inspection Unit is everywhere, constantly pulling over and inspecting tuners.

·
Registered
877 Posts
loud gets old quick. After ~21 years old you decide its time to grow up and mature a little. EST is a very good choice, especially if your stock exhaust has a good amount of rust on it. EST also has their exhaust on sale right now.
Haha well i just turned 19 on saturday so i guess Im still good. But no offense I think the EST exhaust is a bit of a waste unless you get the sport EST exhaust which has the resonator delete, otherwise i dont really hear a big enough difference from the stock exhaust. Not trying to say the EST exhaust is a bad exhaust system it's a beautiful exhaust system, but i guess its just not for me. And considering the op brought up the idea of the straight pipe exhaust I'm guessing he wants something a bit louder...

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Hmm, I'm 31, married, and a few months ago got a 2nd OEM catback for my R that has resonator AND muffler delete. It's very loud. I leave it on most of the time (though I can swap with original catback in 30 minutes in my garage).

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8vJ2i_VQXs&hd=1

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow awesome feedback! I think I will try the 3in straight pipe and just keep my old parts just in case I wanna revert back to it. I just got the thing so I have a lot of room to play with. And yes its a 2001 s60 T5. Ill post pics in a bit.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
only reason i made a point about it is that i have one of the louder catbacks made for the p2 cars. It has 2 resonators.. no real "mufflers". Cold start idle sounds pretty beastly, but unless you live in the middle of 6-7 acre plot, your neighbors will hear it. Also for those that have a manual it makes you feel kinda silly rowing through all the gears just to keep up with traffic since these cars are geared for a weak low end power. These engines sound great and all, but too much of a good thing can be bad, especially on long trips.

Not to mention that now a days these cars aren't really anything special performance wise. I love my car, but i'm not going to sugar coat it. Also, in a yuppie state, if its loud, it isn't going to be long before you get popped with a fix it ticket.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Does anyone know of a good exhaust installer in the Vancouver, BC Canada area. I was thinking of going EST Touring system but need an installer.

Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Does anyone know of a good exhaust installer in the Vancouver, BC Canada area. I was thinking of going EST Touring system but need an installer.

Thanks
If you have a couple ramps or 4 jack stands its a easy 2 person job. If your winters are as bad as mine in Winterpeg be prepared to drill or cut out the bolts that connect the downpipe to the exhaust.

The 2nd last hanger before the muffler was completely rusted off.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Check out the EST sport if you want a bit deeper, more raspy note, I have had both the resonated and non resonated versions of the EST R Catback with a 3" catless DP and both sound great but I prefer the Sport version with the resonator removed, it's civilized when needed but rips once you open it up, sounds great!

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you have a couple ramps or 4 jack stands its a easy 2 person job. If your winters are as bad as mine in Winterpeg be prepared to drill or cut out the bolts that connect the downpipe to the exhaust.

Thanks for the tip Lunch_Box. I've been to Winterpeg in February and it's no picnic that's for sure. Our winters in "lotus land" are really mild so hopefully I won't need to cut out any bolts. Deep and Throaty rumble.....yeah that's what I'm looking for, that Touring system looks great on your ride ! I'll be on the lookout for the next EST Exhaust sale .

·
Registered
446 Posts
I personally went with a 2.5" cat back with a removable magnaflow muffler for when I want to pretend I am hot **** and set off car alarms.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
only reason i made a point about it is that i have one of the louder catbacks made for the p2 cars. It has 2 resonators.. no real "mufflers". Cold start idle sounds pretty beastly, but unless you live in the middle of 6-7 acre plot, your neighbors will hear it. Also for those that have a manual it makes you feel kinda silly rowing through all the gears just to keep up with traffic since these cars are geared for a weak low end power. These engines sound great and all, but too much of a good thing can be bad, especially on long trips.
Quiet long trips? That's what the XC70 is for... :D

Not to mention that now a days these cars aren't really anything special performance wise. I love my car, but i'm not going to sugar coat it. Also, in a yuppie state, if its loud, it isn't going to be long before you get popped with a fix it ticket.
As loud as my straight exhaust can be, when I was pulled over for my tint (I have a prescription so didn't get a ticket for that) the cop didn't seem to even notice my muffler-less exhaust. Of course I was pretty darn careful to keep it quiet once I saw him coming. :D

·
Registered
130 Posts

Lunch_Box, you wouldn't happen to have a video of your EST Touring Exhaust System would you ? I've been searching you tube and all I can find is the sport version. Today I went to a custom shop and the guy suggested removing the stock muffler and just running with a tailpipe, he did it so that the muffler can easily be put back . That was a disaster ! Muffler goes back on tomorrow morning !

1 - 20 of 33 Posts