SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone found a good replacement for the overpriced Volvo coolant?

·
2,521 Posts
Pentosin or something like that

·
Super Moderator
8,700 Posts
OEM Volvo coolant, 50/50 Mix w/Distilled Water

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Pentosin Pentafrost NF. Blue in color 50/50 mix distilled water/antifreeze.

Everywhere cares it these days. Seen it at Autozone, Pepboys, ect.

The factory Volvo fill and the Pentafrost NF are special long life coolant, with the schedule drain interval of 7 years.

I have been super pleased with every product I have bought from Pentosin.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Been using volvo coolant with 50% distilled water. Fine so far

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
how come everyone uses a 50/50 mix? i was always told that coolant alone is fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
390 Posts
Coolant alone will lubricate and protect the cooling system components better, but pure water is actually the best coolant as far as taking heat away from the engine and expelling it via the radiator. Thus, cars use 50/50 mix to get the best of both.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
The Pentosin pentofrost will run you $27.70 for a full gallon if you purchase at Advanced Auto.

I choose to run Zerex G-05 from Walmart. Comparatively, a full gallon is $13.88 and it has the HOAT chemistry which is highly recommended for Volvo and I think it's the only real thing that makes the OEM coolant special.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Zerex G-05 here, as it's readily available almost everywhere should I need coolant in an emergency.

Whichever coolant you run, make sure you flush very thoroughly and dilute down to 50/50 with distilled water. Minerals from tap water or additive packages from different coolants mixing are bad news bears. I'd argue that this is more important than the type of coolant being used.

·
Super Moderator
8,700 Posts
how come everyone uses a 50/50 mix? i was always told that coolant alone is fine
http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/2007/2007_S60/07s60_09.htm#pg176

"Changing coolant
Normally, the coolant does not need to be changed. If the system must be drained, consult your Volvo retailer.

NOTE: Do not top off with water only. This reduces the rust-protective and antifreeze qualities of the coolant and has a lower boiling point. It can also cause damage to the cooling system if it should freeze. Top off with Volvo Genuine Coolant/Antifreeze only (a 50/ 50 mix of water and antifreeze)."

·
Super Moderator
8,700 Posts

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
As far as manufactures appear to be concerned, 'lifetime' is the warranty period. After that you are on your own and the lack of proper maintenance is greatly appreciated, lol.

That being said, modern coolants should be able to last as long as your timing belt assuming you only use the right coolant and distilled water to top it off when needed.

·
Super Moderator
8,700 Posts

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
I disagree with the last comment on that other thread, don't pass anything but distilled water through your system at any point. All the minerals and chemicals in city or well water are going to love chemically binding with a lot of the surface area in your cooling system and then contaminate the fresh coolant you put in right after.

There is a reason you only want coolant and distilled water in there after all.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts