SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Can anyone help me with this noise from the engine? It's coming from the top of the engine. It is most prominent in the last cylinder area. But I can hear it throughout all the cylinders. The sound is rhythmic and increases with RPM. Its on C30 2009 2.4i 220000 km. Here is video of that. The tick was there for almost 2 years. It got louder with time. If anyone can help me point the problem, that would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
177 Posts
It sounds like engine knock. Timing issue?
Is it always, even when the car is warm? Does the knock get worse on full throttle?

Wrong oil being used? Failing motor mounts? Could be a lot of things really... I would recommend getting it figured out. Engine knocks put a lot of stress on the motor and are usually not a good sign.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is the same cold or warm and it doesn't get worse on the full throttle. The sound speeds up with the engine and gets drowned in the engine noise. Volvo dealer told me similar thing that it could be a lot of things and they cannot tell unless they take the engine apart. Of course that would cost more than the car is worth. I've been using the same oil (5w30 Castrol) for 5 years. I tried other brand (Mobil-1) once with no difference. I tried other oil filters as well. What are the most likely reasons for that noise? I can start checking them out myself and learn something a long the way. For the timing, do I just check if camshaft pulleys TDC marks pulleys are aligned with the timing marks on the timing belt cover? Someone told me that it could be due to oil starvation at the lifters and to change O-rings in the oil sump. I did that but it didn't make any difference ( better or worse). The car is not in a best shape visually but it runs fine (except for the ticking). I just want to extend its life. If the motor mounts are worn, wouldn't the noise come from them? Any advise is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
92 Posts
very few things tick in an engine
I'm not sure what the noise is but it could be lifters, valves or fuel injectors
it's probably not a big deal just annoying

·
Registered
296 Posts
Sounds like the valve train has got some play in it. Might need to be shimmed or at least adjusted. You can always change
the oil to a different grade/viscosity/brand and sometimes this will help. Depends on how bad the actual problem is. I would
check oil level first, then quality of oil: is it really dirty etc. Do a proper oil change and put about 1/2 quart of Lucas oil Stabalizer
in and then bring it up to proper level with a good full synthetic. If you run the Lucas under hot tap water for a few minutes it
will aid in the pouring. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. At the end of the day the reason was loose spark plug #4. There was a lot of black carbon/gunk around it and it was 2-3 turns from coming out. Once I changed all the sparks and torqued them, the noise was gone. The engine sounds almost the same as on the day I got the car. I noticed that that cylinder had a lot of black buildup probably because it was too cold with loose spark plug. Will one of those fuel cleaners help clean the cylinder head or it's just scam? Did anyone have good/bad experience with those?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Glad you’ve got it sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 7 of 7 Posts