SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this sound for a while and it is very noticeable while driving. Does anybody know what this could be? Where I focused the camera is where i think it is coming from

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
I don't hear anything terrible. U mean that high pitched whining noise? This is with the key in what position? Does it change when you run the engine? Does it continue after shutting the car off and key out?

·
Registered
66 Posts
sounds like fuel pump wine or a high voltage coil. But fuel pump is in the tank.... got me. Is there an electric smog pump on these cars?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I don't hear anything terrible. U mean that high pitched whining noise? This is with the key in what position? Does it change when you run the engine? Does it continue after shutting the car off and key out?
Yeah it's the whine, it is on in all positions, it gets louder when I am pressing the gas pedal. After I turn the car off it stops. I am hoping its not the fuel pump, that sounds like a very expensive fix. The car does not need to be running to hear the sound.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Right, in-tank fuel pump means that's not the cause of this particular sound.

Two things come to mind here, ETM and purge control valve. You have the camera focused on both of these, I'd unplug the purge control valve and see if the noise goes away. Go from there.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
ETMs don't make noise
If a fuel pump makes any noise, the pitch NEVER changes
I couldn't hear a thing but you may have a clogged breather system

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
It's a very high pitched whine, sounds electronic to me for sure. Some modules and such do make feint noise under different circumstances.

You say it's louder when you hit the gas, even with the engine not running? like does it vary with just throttle position with the key on?

Does the car run okay? anything else happen when it makes the noise?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
In the video the car is not running but the key in the the II position. It gets louder when the car is running and I hit the gas. When I am not touching the throttle is gets very quiet. The car runs perfect.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts