SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody!
2005 XC90 2.5T AWD
I was only 1/4 mile from home and there was a loud snap in the engine followed by some loud rattling and the power steering went out. The engine seemed to be working normally so I turned around (very difficult without the power) and went home. By the time I got home the noise had stopped and the power steering came back so everything seemed okay.
I got in my other car and traced my route to look for parts or fluid but there was nothing.
I opened the hood and everything looked normal except for this pulley without a belt on it. It looks like it was being used but I don't how since it's the only one.
Then I noticed that the serpentine belt is severely cracked and in very bad shape. I looked around the engine compartment and found some pieces of it and realized that that is what I heard.
So I am really curious what that unused pulley is for. Did I lose something? Or is it for an optional ad-on? Thank You!
Tire Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is your alternator.

Don't start the engine until you get it replaced (along with the belt, obviously)
Thank you. But where is the other pulley for the belt? I only see the one. Everything else has the other belt on it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow. I see now that that is the pulley for the alternator and it has come loose and the belt jumped.

·
Registered
404 Posts
- What is the odometer reading? Is it > 160K miles...

- Search forum but there is a split year re PN. Get the Bosch alternator.
There is a split year in 2005 when different alternators were used.
BEST is to look at your existing alternator (assuming it is Bosch original).
Then buy exactly the same.
Avoid Chinese alternators at local auto parts store, you will likely replace it again.

- READ this thread re 2005...

- Check FCPEuro for parts.

- You have other issues (if not already done): timing belt, WP etc. etc.

DIY: 2005 Volvo XC90 2.5T 110K miles: Timing Belt, Water Pump, Serpentine Belt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts