SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is this plug for? Should it be plugged in? Picture is taken of area behind the drivers side headlight? Thank you

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Not sure why it's hanging down, but that should be near clipped in near the dummy panel. Not sure where I'm looking at in the R with this abstract angle LOL

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is the dummy panel?

Currently have the “service chassis settings” message. Read a bunch of threads on the topic and began checking around for loose connections. Made an appointment to have the car scanned at a volvo indy.

Was wondering if this plug could be the cause of the“service chassis settings” message.
Is it related to one of the front accelerometers?

Was surprised how poor the car handles without the 4C magic.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Dummy panel is in the engine by the intake, does nothing but to fill in the engine bay behind the front driver side light. On further inspection, this doesn't look like it's taken under the hood, but behind a fender liner? Still trying to figure out what part of the car we're looking at.

This might help you.

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/tech/2004r/R5-Four-C.pdf

·
Registered
67 Posts
There is an an accelerometer right under the driver side headlight, you must remove the bumper to access it. This is not as big as a job as one may think, with a good write-up, 15 min and 2 guys the bumper is removed. The plug has probably not unplugged itself, so if you said that the 4C WAS working, an unplugged accelerometer is not your problem.

Look for bent accelerometer bracket on the front shocks, they tend to bend down and the sensor is not leveled. This condition of being non-leveled makes the sensor beleive it is broken because readings are out of range. Try bending it upward a bit, and don't forget to recalibrate the suspension module ( SUM Recal. ) Before you attempt to observe any amelioration

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@DevolvR The pic was taken from underneath the car looking up toward the drivers side headlight. I think the bottom frame of the pic would be the front of the car. Thank you for the link. I had come across it before. It’s a great overview of the system.

@MartinD 4C was working perfectly. I was doing some heavy cornering last week when the service chassis message popped up. I had a bunch of stuff in the trunk and thought that maybe something flying around may have dislodged that rear accelerometer, but it looked fine.
I then checked the accelerometer brackets on the front shocks. The passenger side was bent down very, very slightly and I did bend it up a few millimeters. I did not realize at the time that a SUM re-calibration would be required.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Yes, this is from the bottom. If you look top left of the picture, that is the screw to adjust the bumper slide that grabs the back lip of the bumper. Bottom left is the connector for the fog light, where the two connectors mount to the bumper.
My guess, is that this is the connector for standard S60's and the non HID lighting? I'll do some more digging through diagrams to try to figure it out.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I would put a guess that its AUX lights also.

My 4C connectors are near the shocks, more so towards the firewall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
180 Posts
i'm in with JoJo that this plug is probably for the HID headlights. I seem to recall having a similar female plug with no male to plug into in a similar location.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts