SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is this noise?! It sounds like a pneumatic drill or hammer drill. It only makes the noise during full acceleration above 5000 RPM or so. I took my 2012 Volvo S60 T5 to be serviced, but Lehman Volvo didn't find anything wrong with my car and informed me this is the noise that the T5 makes. They tightened a heat shield and I didn't hear the noise for a few weeks but it only does it under full acceleration and I usually don't need to floor the gas pedal.

http://youtu.be/P1WlzfcR_EU

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe it didn't pick up well in the recording; like I said it's only above about 5,000 RPM's so it's only audible a second or two before shifting gears. My two passengers were startled by the noise when it occurred... you can FEEL it reverberate through the car. My 2007 S40 T5 never made that noise. I love the sound of a five cylinder, but not when it sounds and feels like a hammer drill. :confused:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I could hear it on the video, sounds like a cow mooing at the top end of the rev range. Most likely a resonance caused by something in the engine bay being a little loose and 'drumming'. Could be the heatshielding on the firewall between the motor and the cabin, as that's just a large, flexible foil sheet. Also check the intake snorkel on the airbox, is it a loose fit into the airbox itself? It's surprising how much racket they can make at certain rpms.

Blu-tak is a great help in these situations. Have a poke around under the hood, lift the engine cover and see if you can spot anything.

·
Registered
219 Posts
pay a quick visit to Volvo maintenance. Don't do full acceleration with such a situation, the engine might brake-down.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My '12 S60 T5 was in for service on Monday and once again the mechanic didn't hear the "drilling" noise. I took the service manager for a spin and he heard it loud and clear and seemed shocked by the sound. It seems that the mechanic didn't get the message that the car pretty much needs to be floored to hear the noise. I got the impression that Volvo has no idea how to diagnose or correct the issue (just like the Adaptive Cruise Contol failure I mentioned in my other posts). Anyway, I'm taking my S60 for it's 4th service appointment since I purchased it 2 months ago and up to this point none of my issues have been resolved. I loved my '07 S40 T5 and initially loved my '12 S60, but I'm quickly losing my love for Volvo :(

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
My '12 S60 T5 was in for service on Monday and once again the mechanic didn't hear the "drilling" noise. I took the service manager for a spin and he heard it loud and clear and seemed shocked by the sound. It seems that the mechanic didn't get the message that the car pretty much needs to be floored to hear the noise. I got the impression that Volvo has no idea how to diagnose or correct the issue (just like the Adaptive Cruise Contol failure I mentioned in my other posts). Anyway, I'm taking my S60 for it's 4th service appointment since I purchased it 2 months ago and up to this point none of my issues have been resolved. I loved my '07 S40 T5 and initially loved my '12 S60, but I'm quickly losing my love for Volvo :(
Sorry to hear that John :(
I can hear it very clearly in the video and would be very worried as well.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Could that be a turbo dump valve, or wastegate opening?? The problem with dealerships is that they rely too heavily on computer trouble codes and TSBs. When these tools fail most simply throw their arms up and try to convince you the symptoms are normal. What you need is a mechanic that can use his brain, not just the vehicle's or manufacturer's.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
What is this noise?! It sounds like a pneumatic drill or hammer drill. It only makes the noise during full acceleration above 5000 RPM or so. I took my 2012 Volvo S60 T5 to be serviced, but Lehman Volvo didn't find anything wrong with my car and informed me this is the noise that the T5 makes. They tightened a heat shield and I didn't hear the noise for a few weeks but it only does it under full acceleration and I usually don't need to floor the gas pedal.

http://youtu.be/P1WlzfcR_EU
I, too, have a T5 and have not noticed that noise........I hope they can figure it out!!! I feel your frustration! Please keep us posted on how this issue gets resolved.........

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
The sound is very noticeable. I'm surprised that the technican couldn't diagnoise it. I would hope that this isn't something serious.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Noise fixed! It was a flimsy intake tube that was vibrating at high RMP's!? Replaced under warranty of course.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts