SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i only ask this because when i had my maxima, the stock tire was 225/55/17. I was able to fit a 235/45/17 on it. My R is due for tires and I want to get 245/40/18 if possible. Im also getting my 6th set of Pirellis p zero Nero MS unless somene can convince me to get a better tire for the same price. I wanted the mich pilot sports but $215 per tire is too steep

Thanks

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Re: What is the widest size tire that can fit on a 18" peg? (j0sie27)

Quote, originally posted by j0sie27 »
i only ask this because when i had my maxima, the stock tire was 225/55/17. I was able to fit a 235/45/17 on it. My R is due for tires and I want to get 245/40/18 if possible. Im also getting my 6th set of Pirellis p zero Nero MS unless somene can convince me to get a better tire for the same price. I wanted the mich pilot sports but $215 per tire is too steep

Thanks

245 tires will fit on the 8" wide Pegasus wheels with no issue. You will experience rubbing, however.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts

Well you can technically put 255's on an 8" Peg, heck, some domestic guys run 275's on 8" wheel but you better stick to 235's due to rubbing my friend.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: What is the widest size tire that can fit on a 18" peg? (George @ ViVA)

rubbing when the car bounces up and down, or when turning lock to lock? I might invest in wheel spacers as well

·
Registered
1,548 Posts

Turning and possibly both depending on the tire and if it has sidewall reinforcement. BTW.. why exactly would you want a larger tire? The 235/40 looks perfect on the 18" pegs, you don't want a 'bubble' tire on a European car.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: What is the widest size tire that can fit on a 18" peg? (xman03)

it doesnt bubble. it actually sucks the wheel inside the tire ever so slightly. looks mean! plus with the wheel spacers every mm counts as far as going wider no?

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts

it doesnt bubble. it actually sucks the wheel inside the tire ever so slightly. looks mean!
... on a Nascar.

What you're describing is exactly what we mean by bubble... the tire bubbles out from the wheel instead of fitting flush with it. European cars don't get setup with balloon tires like Monte Carlos and Cutlasses do...

Just my .02$ of course.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i hear what you are saying. its not as noticeable as you make it seem. i need to dig up pics of my nissan

can someone post pics of a balloned tire and a flush tire. get this party started..lol

Modified by j0sie27 at 11:55 AM 3-10-2009

·
Registered
5,237 Posts

rubbing when the car bounces up and down, or when turning lock to lock? I might invest in wheel spacers as well

if you are going to go +1 (245mm) on stock Pegs, you won't rub when you bounce up and down, but during lock to lock.

We offer wheel spacers to help eliminate rubbing during full wheel lock. I'd recommend 10mm spacers for the front, and either 10mm or 15mm spacers for the rear.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts

i Im also getting my 6th set of Pirellis p zero Nero MS unless somene can convince me to get a better tire for the same price. I wanted the mich pilot sports but $215 per tire is too steep

Thanks

By PZero Nero MS do you mean the PZero Nero All Season? And when you're talking about Pilot Sport is that the P.S. 2 (summer?) or the Pilot Sport All season.

·
Registered
688 Posts

Im also getting my 6th set of Pirellis p zero Nero MS unless somene can convince me to get a better tire for the same price. I wanted the mich pilot sports but $215 per tire is too steep

Thanks

Not sure where in "Earth, NY" you are, but if you're near a Costco, get a membership and get your PS A/S's there. Little bit cheaper and price includes mount & lifetime bal/rot. If you're doing 10k+ miles/yr, that's $300 over the life of the tire.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: What is the widest size tire that can fit on a 18" peg? (Needsdecaf)

yes, i was referring to the michelin all seasons. I have been buying the pzero nero All seasons. i cant complain but since i have dedicated snow wheels and tires i figure i can go a little sportier but i dont want to sacrifice tread life.

as for costco, ive looked at the BJS wholesale by me and they cant accommodate the 18" wheels

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you for the pic!

do you think the 245's will offer slight protection against curb rash?

spacers are soo expensive

oh, if it pleases the board members, i promise not to get raised while lettering LOL!

·
Registered
21,340 Posts

yes, i was referring to the michelin all seasons. I have been buying the pzero nero All seasons. i cant complain but since i have dedicated snow wheels and tires i figure i can go a little sportier but i dont want to sacrifice tread life.

as for costco, ive looked at the BJS wholesale by me and they cant accommodate the 18" wheels

Not sure where you're shopping, the price difference between the two should be less than $50 (still nothing to sneeze at).

Plus I think the Nero A/S are going away.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Re: (j0sie27)

Thank you for the pic!

do you think the 245's will offer slight protection against curb rash?

spacers are soo expensive

oh, if it pleases the board members, i promise not to get raised while lettering LOL!

Slightly more protection than a 235, but the pegs are still very susceptible to curb rash if you are careless. I've had my car for two years with 18in pegs that I purchased new and I have yet to curb any of them. (The 17s that came on the car were curbed to all hell, so I use them as my winter wheels w/ snows)

·
Registered
722 Posts
Re: What is the widest size tire that can fit on a 18" peg? (FRANCIS)

Quote, originally posted by FRANCIS »
i run 245 ps2
i have 10 mm front and 5mm rear spacers
still rub on sharp turn
btw ps2's have very good rim protection

It looks like the PS2s have much better rim protection than my Kuhmo SPTs...

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Re: What is the widest size tire that can fit on a 18" peg? (FRANCIS)

Quote, originally posted by FRANCIS »
i run 245 ps2
i have 10 mm front and 5mm rear spacers
still rub on sharp turn
btw ps2's have very good rim protection

That looks perfect IMO. I'll definitely be going with 245's when the time comes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.