SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been scanning the site for something solid on the next-gen convertible after the closure of the plant and the end of the production run for the current C70 design. My own view is that a successor design will be lighter and quicker, as the competing vehicles in the segment are the likes of the Lexus IS 250 and BMW 3 series and Audi A5.

I have read only that Volvo does not intend to leave the cabrio segment entirely, and that the next generation will be on a platform which is an apparent acronym, in any case with no meaning to me. However, whenever executives talk about the C70 there is nothing solid and no indication that a successor will be designed and introduced to the market by the end of the production run of the current design.

I guess I must be a Volvo enthusiast, and my current beloved C70 is about to celebrate its 4th birthday and I can see myself beginning to look ahead to a new Volvo.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Certainly something I'm interested in following; however, we traded our '08 for the '11 we've had almost a year. Our XC60 turns three next week and we're looking to make a little OSD trip in late summer '13. I'm not sure what I would do to the C70 for the next generation, but maybe we'll be ready for a new one in '14 or so if the new one is something we can't live without. ;)

·
Registered
647 Posts
Great topic. The Pininfarina joint venture and dedicated Uddevalla factory were cool selling points for me in my decision, and when I saw the build quality coming out of Uddevalla I became more impressed. So, the closure is disappointing to say the least, albeit understandable from an economic point of view.

I am not optimistic about seeing a replacement anytime soon. At this point, if 2013 is indeed the final year, it will be several years before we see a replacement - I would guess 2016 at the earliest. I have no basis for this statement other than a general understanding that it takes at least 4 years to roll out a new model.

Volvo execs, please prove me wrong.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts