SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ladies and gentlemen
I have an 2005 R sadly auto
I want to know though how much hp can I get?
Will I get a better fuel economy?
And is it worth the $900 for it?

Thanks Matt

·
Registered
329 Posts
I've always given iPd first consideration whenever I've thought about tuning a Volvo, first with my 2002 V70XC, and now with my R. I never pulled the trigger on my XC, but after I've had a few months to sort everything out properly on my R, I'll likely go with a "mild tune" (mostly stock setup.) I've not made my mind up yet as to who I would go with.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I've always given iPd first consideration whenever I've thought about tuning a Volvo, first with my 2002 V70XC, and now with my R. I never pulled the trigger on my XC, but after I've had a few months to sort everything out properly on my R, I'll likely go with a "mild tune" (mostly stock setup.) I've not made my mind up yet as to who I would go with.
Just remember that Lucky was behind of ipd and tme flashes, now lucky has hes own company called ARDideas. Matt call Robert Arnold at Ard you will be mor than happy to deal with him

·
Registered
337 Posts
Just remember that Lucky was behind of ipd and tme flashes, now lucky has hes own company called ARDideas. Matt call Robert Arnold at Ard you will be mor than happy to deal with him
Don't make this crap up. Lucky did no tuning for neither IPD or TME. IPD has always been reselling tunes prepared by Marco of MTE.

Also, $600 for a tune where you have to send in your ECU isn't really that competitive. For another $200 you get a softloader from either IPD, RICA or AutoTech.
Why did ARD's tunes go from $400 to $600 in less than a year's time?

·
Registered
614 Posts
30 hp 30 tq give or take a few I believe (I would think more along the take a few lines). You might as well get a cheap custom turbo back system, some sort of DIY intake system, and just spring for the "stage 2". Though I was told by Frank, last summer, that Rica's "stage 1" and "stage 2" are both 20 psi, but the stage 2 has a different fuel map or something along those lines. I know you are asking about the MTE tune but I figured I would throw that out there anyways...

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Short answer is I don't know, but a bhp increase alone should not be your only consideration. I can tell you a proper tune changes how the power comes on in a good way and you can get rid of the nasty torque neutering the 04/05 GT's have. Getting your caR to a stage II setup is quite desirable though: Tune, FMIC, DP/exhaust combo and it will feel like a different car in terms of how the power builds.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
No.

Don't make this crap up. Lucky did no tuning for neither IPD or TME. IPD has always been reselling tunes prepared by Marco of MTE.

Also, $600 for a tune where you have to send in your ECU isn't really that competitive. For another $200 you get a softloader from either IPD, RICA or AutoTech.
Why did ARD's tunes go from $400 to $600 in less than a year's time?
Yes.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Short answer is I don't know, but a bhp increase alone should not be your only consideration. I can tell you a proper tune changes how the power comes on in a good way and you can get rid of the nasty torque neutering the 04/05 GT's have. Getting your caR to a stage II setup is quite desirable though: Tune, FMIC, DP/exhaust combo and it will feel like a different car in terms of how the power builds.
I was just looking into this the other day, I'm sure removing the "torque neutering" alone would be quite the boost in terms of performance on my 2004 GT, let alone the additional boost from the tune itself. I'm sure this has likely been discussed elsewhere, but do any other tunes aside from iPd address the torque neutering on 1st and 2nd gear on the 5spd GT cars?

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
The IPD tune is well worth it. You get the soft loader and the under rated data logging ability, which is very nice when troubleshooting or fine tuning. Just keep in mind that you need a computer running XP or W7 Pro and XP mode.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I'm sure the Rica tune (and probably others) address the torque neutering as well.
Rica cannot remove the torque limiter on all the GTs. They were not able to remove mine as well as others. I returned my Rica tune and went with ipd, the ipd tune is great and the torque removal is a must.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I was refering that when you call ipd for flash info who was the person to contact at ipd?. Simple answer right? Or the costumer call directly to tme?. I NEVER said who made the tunes, just mention who was in support area at ipd. I know because for long time i did contact ipd for my t5 tune i was trying to compare tme with bsr but ended on keeping the bsr tune for a while. I was interested in the data log that tme offers. Thats the great things about this market you can do with your money whatever you want. For some people theres is just company to go with but everyones has the right to know different choices. About the data log now you can get dice and make everything you want too.

Cheers

·
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks you guys I appreciate it

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
About the data log now you can get dice and make everything you want too.

Cheers
Have you tried to data log with DICE? If you know how to export the data in a useful way, let me know. IPD data logger exports very nicely and is easily opened and sorted in Excel :)

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
The IPD tune is well worth it. You get the soft loader and the under rated data logging ability, which is very nice when troubleshooting or fine tuning. Just keep in mind that you need a computer running XP or W7 Pro and XP mode.
And not to adjust your wastegate.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Adjusting your wastegate is fine. It's when your wastegate unbolted and the line pops off that you have problems.
:( I have to say I am rather pumped to see what you end up building. Definitely need to set up a meet when the time comes.

·
Registered
47 Posts
There's a lot of experience on the boards, s it depends onwhat you want to do. My R gets about 25k miles per year and i wanted more occasional oomph wihout getting crazy with the budget. I enjoyed the stock setup for about a year while stalking the board. I gt a k&n air filter and the IPD Stage1 with no "neutering". Iwas a little worried about the tranny, but since I don't meep my foot in it, i haven't hadany issues in last 30k mikes. The datalogging is a cool feature as is the trouble code id and clearing feature (i use an OLD laptop from salvage for the OS). Cost was under $1100, and unbelevable benefit when i get into it!
I just dropped abt $600 to upgrade pads, rotors, and the tranny torque and strut brace mount. I would do it again, nice benefits.
If tis is your daily driver and "toy", you will like the tune, being an engineer i am usually a numbers guy, but i focus on results...any tune will make you smile, the torq limit delete for GT will blow your mind, and mpg is only a slave to your driving style. (You are gonna use more gas for a while getting used to your new fun-factor! It took me months to get back to 24mpg combined cycle.)

BYW I freakin' love my R!!!!!!!

·
Registered
329 Posts
There's a lot of experience on the boards, s it depends onwhat you want to do. My R gets about 25k miles per year and i wanted more occasional oomph wihout getting crazy with the budget. I enjoyed the stock setup for about a year while stalking the board. I gt a k&n air filter and the IPD Stage1 with no "neutering". Iwas a little worried about the tranny, but since I don't meep my foot in it, i haven't hadany issues in last 30k mikes. The datalogging is a cool feature as is the trouble code id and clearing feature (i use an OLD laptop from salvage for the OS). Cost was under $1100, and unbelevable benefit when i get into it!
I just dropped abt $600 to upgrade pads, rotors, and the tranny torque and strut brace mount. I would do it again, nice benefits.
If tis is your daily driver and "toy", you will like the tune, being an engineer i am usually a numbers guy, but i focus on results...any tune will make you smile, the torq limit delete for GT will blow your mind, and mpg is only a slave to your driving style. (You are gonna use more gas for a while getting used to your new fun-factor! It took me months to get back to 24mpg combined cycle.)

BYW I freakin' love my R!!!!!!!
Thanks for posting your experience with the tune, I'm really leaning toward the iPd tune when the time comes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts