SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious as to what entails the so-called dynamic trim package. Most obvious is the body colored lower trim pieces, but what about the suspension? Does the DTP have lowering springs and heavy swaybars? Any other hidden improvements?

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
The body trim is different too, not just body colored, as I'm sure you probably already know. Plus on the sedan a rear spoiler is standard. Here's a few pics of mine. Never mind the stupid wheel weights that the PO had put on the Sculptors, I have a virtually perfect set of Serapis whenever the wife wears the crummy Nexen tires down a bit.

Regarding the suspension, there is a difference in the springs and sway bars. There's a thread around here somewhere about it. Funny you mention this because I was reading the sway bar thread earlier and saw you put a rear sway on from a sport package. Pretty sure the sport package is different from dynamic, like beefier, but not 100%. I need to decipher my codes.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought I put on a 'sport' rear sway, turns out it was a dynamic. The dynamic front is 24.5mm and rear 21.5mm.

What's different about the springs? Are they lower - by how much?

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Sway bars ... need Carl (pczeilon) to help here since he seems to know the most about these, but in this thread here: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?212727-2006-s40-t5-Sport-Package&highlight=chassis+code

he says this:

By checking the codes for the shocks & sway bars in the parts book you can determine the suspension "trim" level. It's not as easy as AA=Sport as there are several codes within each trim level. I suppose someone could make a chart with all the possibilities but that's a job for a day when I'm bored.

Conversely, it's what makes looking up "sport" parts for your non-sport car difficult. For example, there are 3 different "sport" rear sway bar choices for the S40. Springs are a total nightmare as they aren't labeled "sport" in the book & there are over 10 possibilities.
I'm not sure Carl what you mean by "parts book", all I have is VIDA, and I see what you mean ... it's crazy! Here's what I see there for sway bars broken down by trim package in the way they are "marked" (I assume meaning from the number on the sticker in your RR door jam).

Front Sway Bars -

• Comfort = 5,7,8
  • Dynamic = 6,9
  • Sport = 4,5,6,A

Rear Sway Bars -

• Comfort = 1,6,9,A,C
  • Dynamic = 1,2,9
  • Sport = 2,3

From the numbers on the door sticker, my front bar is 6 and my rear bar is 2, but from the numbers in VIDA these bars are found in either the Dynamic and Sport trims (why?). I do know for fact that I have the Dynamic Sport Suspension because I have the original window sticker:

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The volvo code system seems arbitrary. Unless we start putting actual diameters to them, there's no way to figure it out. I know that I took bars from a s40 with dynamic trim (but I don't know the trim codes) so I assume the bars are dynamic. They are definitely beefy.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
True on measurements, although I thought I saw those somewhere around here too once upon a time. I finally found my digital vernier caliper tonight and threw it my rear sway and I get 21.5mm too (maybe a tad more but hard to get all the undercoating crud off the bar laying on the garage floor lol).

If the springs are 20mm lower I'm not sure how you figure that out in VIDA or I'm not looking in the right place.

Regarding the ride being rougher ... I find that the S40 rides similar to my S60 T5 which also has the oem sport suspension. Both cars are definitely more firm compared to my S80.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
mine was firm/rough from the start, and i think mine is a base model and didnt have many options.
my suggestion remains just go for the the eibach lowering springs instead of trying to find some 20mm oem. the eibachs should be no more than 31mm lower.. not a huge difference. not sure if thats why your asking but im just throwing that out there. I am curious what suspension my car came with too though.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I measure the dynamic trim at 21.5mm rear and 24.5mm front. That's by far more hefty than the 'sport' bars. Maybe someone with sport bars can weigh-in on the measurements.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I know that the springs are 20mm lower since that is the only OEM option and straight from brochure for our cars.

I wanted something similar to OEM sport springs for my car so I went for Eibach Pro springs which sent her 25mm closer to the ground. In a perfect world I'd get 25mm front and 35mm rear just to level it out a bit. I've seen a C30 with that setup and it looked a lot better but I'm still satisfied with 25mm all around.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts