SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the years I have seen a lot of information pertaining to adding HID's to the stock halogen headlights. Specifically I heard adding just a HID kit results in warning lights or damage to the wiper motor. That is not worth the risk for me.

So my question is has there been any new advances or adapters made to handle our vehicles in particular?

I would plan on using denso ballasts and a TRS bulb set.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
denso ballast with their external ignitors, as they're oem, you should fine in terms of wiper motor issues. only drawback is not waterproof. would get the bow harness (trs sells them) or if you opt for trs's morimoto hid kit, just select the bow harness) to prevent the bow warning. the new mori's d2s ballast work with an external ignitor, just like the oem/denso to reduce radiofrequency interference that's implicated in the wiper motor issue...and the ballasts are waterproof so you can attach them anywhere in the engine bay.

would highly recommend spending an extra $100 and getting the e46 xenon-projectors to direct the light correctly. trs sells those as well.

your lighting will so much better than stock, you'll wish you did it sooner.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
denso ballast with their external ignitors, as they're oem, you should fine in terms of wiper motor issues. only drawback is not waterproof. would get the bow harness (trs sells them) or if you opt for trs's morimoto hid kit, just select the bow harness) to prevent the bow warning. the new mori's d2s ballast work with an external ignitor, just like the oem/denso to reduce radiofrequency interference that's implicated in the wiper motor issue...and the ballasts are waterproof so you can attach them anywhere in the engine bay.

would highly recommend spending an extra $100 and getting the e46 xenon-projectors to direct the light correctly. trs sells those as well.

your lighting will so much better than stock, you'll wish you did it sooner.
OK cool, I might do that. Do the e46 xenon require much modification to the OEM headlamp, and if so is there a writeup?

·
Registered
386 Posts
OK cool, I might do that. Do the e46 xenon require much modification to the OEM headlamp, and if so is there a writeup?
I did this job last year and it has held up well...I have a bunch of pictures I took but I never put it together in a thread. The projector fits in our headlights with no modifications required and the only thing you need to do that requires any effort is the rewiring to get the high-beams to function and modifying the back cover to fit the ballasts/bulbs. Enough of us have done it or have experience that we can get you any answers to any specific questions you have.

I just remembered that LowEndTorque had a small write-up in his thread when he did his, but I don't have his thread handy. If you do a google search using his alias and this forum it should pop up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts