SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1998 Volvo V70XC Before I remove the bolt the is located below the water pump on the right hand side just left of the crank I wanted to find out what it is for. The bolt has a large molded washer in the the head and not sure if it is a drain bolt or holds something in place that will be a pain to reinstall if I remove the bolt. I am doing a water pump, timing belt and etc. and wanted to remove the plastic cover to clean everything up but did not want to remove this bolt until I can identify what it does. See attached picture with the red arrow pointing to the bolt in question.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

·
Registered
16,980 Posts
holds the cover on the bottom

also its where the hydrolic tensionar mounts also well that one and the one up to the right.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: What is the bolt below the water pump on RH side used for? (oregonxc)

Ok so that is where the timing belt tensioner dampener would bolt on for cars that have them. On my car I only have the timing belt tensioner and no timing belt dampener so looks like this bolt is only there to hold on the plastic cover, correct?

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
That's correct but the timing belt tensioner and dampener are one and the same- some retailers call it a tensioner dampener. I re-read your post- I understand now- you have the mechanical tensioner- the one you use a allen wrench with... I have the one that has a pin coming up through it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: What is the bolt below the water pump on RH side used for? (oregonxc)

Yup I have the tensioner that you use the allen wrench with. Makes sense now that the plastic shield is probably same over several models of car and the bolt they filled the hole with on my car is a little weird with the large thick washer head to fill the hole in the plastic shield. Thought I would ask though before I wrenched it out to remove the plastic shield for cleaning.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts