SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a simple question here: why is it that in the face of all the recent posts here with critiques of Volvo's car offerings, the decline in sales and more (like the note from the WSJ that Volvo could very well be out of the US market), that there's no response from Volvo to either deny or suggest things are otherwise? Is it fair to assume that by their silence that they too are in agreement with these suggestions? Why wouldn't they as a company want to get out ahead of these negative notes and say hey we are full well planning to remain a major player in the US with great cars, great support programs and more? Why wouldn't they want to show the new XC90, the newer XC60 or the newer updated S60? Just wondering?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
There are probably tons of reasons to stay a little silent on the issue. They may not be done with the designs of the vehicles and thus don't want to show them when they aren't finalized.

Showing cars too early can have very negative consequences for a company. For one, it discourages upgrading. If I'm driving a 2003 XC90, want a new SUV and want it to be a Volvo I'm either going to buy a newer XC90 or buy an XC60. That's one sale towards this months numbers. If I see an image of the forthcoming XC90 it makes that vehicle more tangible and I may hold off and keep the XC90 longer. It gains them a sale later but hurts their bottom line right now. It's the same reason why iPhone sales drop ahead of every new release. People are waiting for the new model instead of buying the current one to replace their outdated version.

It also means that anyone who doesn't like the design will go somewhere else. A lot of vehicles, especially vehicle interiors, come off differently in a photograph than they do in person. If someone sees a picture of the new XC90 and they aren't sure they like it Volvo would benefit from having that vehicle in a showroom so that people can check it out in person and get a real impression. If I see a picture of a car I've been waiting for and I end up disappointed I'm going to move on to a competitor if I have nothing else to go on. Without a physical model I can't experience the different textures and visual layouts of an interior and I can't appreciate the different contours and lines of an exterior.

So...those are two possibilities that I've thought of. There's also a certain level of trouble that comes along with admitting you have a problem. Both customers and suppliers may lose confidence in Volvo even further if they publicly announce that acknowledge declining sales and related issues. Those are usually comments you hear individual representatives make in interviews or off the cuff. They tend not to go into press releases which are usually reserved for legally required announcements and positive news.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
As far as commenting goes it's Volvo tradition to stay silent on these types of things, but as far as exposing new models that can be a bad thing. Ford was taunting us with the new Fusion for YEARS ahead of its debut and only to have a lukewarm response at its revealing. The same thing could be for Toyota/Subaru/Scion with their new BRZ/GT86/86/FR-S because people thought of it as annoying that the actual car didn't come out already and were a bit put off by its price tag.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Just a simple question here: why is it that in the face of all the recent posts here with critiques of Volvo's car offerings, the decline in sales and more (like the note from the WSJ that Volvo could very well be out of the US market), that there's no response from Volvo to either deny or suggest things are otherwise? Is it fair to assume that by their silence that they too are in agreement with these suggestions? Why wouldn't they as a company want to get out ahead of these negative notes and say hey we are full well planning to remain a major player in the US with great cars, great support programs and more? Why wouldn't they want to show the new XC90, the newer XC60 or the newer updated S60? Just wondering?
Like the other posters shared, Volvo has been traditionally shy about giving away its up coming products. They are Swedish after all, saying things once and meaning them. Personally i am worried at how they are underperfoming at the moment. BUT, I am aware of their upcoming products. Here are my favorites...
-2014 will bring new S60 and XC60 front fascias with upgraded LED day time running lights.
-2014 will bring the new to America 2.0 liter 4 cylinder engines that will outperform even the BMW mpgs and 0-60 times since it will be coupled with...
-the new 2014 8-speed transmissions.
-2014 will unleash the ALL new XC90 at last.
-2014 S60's MIGHT come equipped with the gauges found in the European V40.

I can't wait.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts