SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Sonic Blue R and I haven't tinted the windows yet. I can't take it anymore I have never driven a car that wasn't atleast 5-10% tint really dark. My 350Z ,g35 coupe and STi were all that dark. My freinds say NOT to go this dark with the R because it won't suit it especially in Sonic Blue and that I should go Smoked ..? <br>Anyone have a picture of a Sonic Blue with Tints are make some sugestions on a good %tint for this colour.<br>Thanks

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
Re: What is "smoked tint" is there a % number that defines this? (zigger)

I'm sure your friend meant a light (grey) see thru tint with 35% or less

·
Registered
18,762 Posts

Get a black carbon based tint, heat resistant properties without metal dust that may hurt your radar detector range or satellite radio. <p>I have a platinum based tint, and it doesn't hurt my Volvo nav. <p>WHATEVER you do, compare the tint to your windshield and sunroof tint color to make sure it matches color tone. I reccomend 35%, anything darker (18%) will make visibility at night very difficult.

·
Registered
604 Posts

I went with 35% on the front doors and 20% everywhere else.<p>I like the back darker than the front.<p>If you go with 35%...I would use 20% on the back window. It realy cuts down on the glare of headlights at night.<p>Remember it is not as dark looking out than looking in!

·
Registered
633 Posts
What is the verdict in most states on tint?<br>I live in PA, obviously, but do not want to have to pay to have the tint removed and reapplied on my driver and passenger side windows every year.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Re: (Eric_H)

Usually the cops do not bother you JUST for tints. I am not saying it doesn't happen but I'd say rarely. I think the only way they can legitimately tell you to "take off" your tint is if they use a light meter and give you a ticket that way, correct me if I'm wrong of course. <p>Then again, all you need is that one cop who is having a bad day...

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Re: (Eric_H)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Eric_H</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What is the verdict in most states on tint?<br>I live in PA, obviously, but do not want to have to pay to have the tint removed and reapplied on my driver and passenger side windows every year.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>most of the time i have no problems in NY, one of the strictest tint law states. but front window visibility isnt part of our yearly safety inspection.<p>recently got two equipment violation tickets for my front windows, but that was after getting clocked at about 35mph over and getting chased for 7 miles. the tint tickets were the only ones i got, the HP unit did not have tracking history (was going the other way, had to exit, cross over and overpass and reenter and did not catch up to me for a good 5 minutes)<br>pretty much he ticketed me for tint since he had to nail me for something.<br>

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: (SilverS60RNYC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>SilverS60RNYC</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>most of the time i have no problems in NY, one of the strictest tint law states. but front window visibility isnt part of our yearly safety inspection.<p>recently got two equipment violation tickets for my front windows, but that was after getting clocked at about 35mph over and getting chased for 7 miles. the tint tickets were the only ones i got, the HP unit did not have tracking history (was going the other way, had to exit, cross over and overpass and reenter and did not catch up to me for a good 5 minutes)<br>pretty much he ticketed me for tint since he had to nail me for something.<br></TD></TR></TABLE><p><br>Sounds like one time I got pulled over by a cop going the other direction on Rt. 78. I was in a pack of about 4 cars going 15 over, and a cop came over the crest. I took the next exit to try to hide, but unfortunately he must have seen me and followed me down the ramp, and pulled me over in front of a gas station. He asked me why I pulled off the higway since I was in western NJ, heading east, with NY plates and a car full of stuff (semester break). I told him I had to go to the bathroom. He said, well in that case, I'll be fast. He was. About 2 minutes later I had a ticket for going 79 in a 65. He then watched me drive into a gas station and go to the bathroom.<p>Prick.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Re: (HJZ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>HJZ</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Usually the cops do not bother you JUST for tints. I am not saying it doesn't happen but I'd say rarely. I think the only way they can legitimately tell you to "take off" your tint is if they use a light meter and give you a ticket that way, correct me if I'm wrong of course. <p>Then again, all you need is that one cop who is having a bad day...</TD></TR></TABLE><p>here in NY its just a straight equipment violation, not a fixit ticket...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts