SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had engine/head warp issues causing gasket sealing issues for a few years now which I tracked down to mainly being caused from the block being warped and never been pulled to have it decked, so ive been chasing my tail FOREVER wondering why i keep having to replace headgaskets and afterwards still have issues with extreme pressure in the cooling system after driving which has recently led to a radiator & 2 hose failures over the past 6 months...

My question is everyone's opinion on reusing TTY cylinder head bolts?
The first time I did the headgasket, I reused the factory bolts, and blamed the issues I was running into from reusing the stock bolts. I then last year had the head rebuilt, surfaced, and purchased new bolts from IPD, and still having headgasket/pressure in cooling system issues the entire time...

So from my experience, and I can say whether or not it is really not worth the time & money to reuse bolts because of my inconclusive issues. I am now having a block decked & checked to swap in and getting ready to install new headgasket again with the surfaced block, but not really wanting to buy another set of new head bolts...

Is there anyone that can attest to actaully having or experiencing issues from reusing stock or aftermarket TTY head bolts? Theres definitely not reusable ones as far as I have looked, and not going to look into studs because they require a retorque procedure which obviously is not worth it on these engines...

fyi this is pertaining to a 97 glt 850, but was really looking for general opinions on this...

one other thing I wouldnt mind getting some opinions on, is whether or not its worth keep trying to fix this thing, selling it, or sending it to an auction...
I have had nothing but trouble with this car since I got it as you can see, it was passed down to me from someone who overheated the motor and wanted nothing to do with repairing the car, so after it had already been ripped apart and diagnosed it was given to me and I "attempted" to bring it back to life.
Car now has close to 215k mi on it, body is ok i guess, paint is horrible, needs tires, sun/moonroof motor needs replaced and now the glass wont close properly due to the tracks and leaks when it rains & almost entire back section of headliner is falling down now. Heater core will need to be replaced, needs another engine as described above hoping that once repaired with everything this time it gets rid of the engine light with misfire code that has been on since i got the car years back, will need a new coolant resevoir & low fluid sensor, one of the rear tail light assemblies is malfunctioning and will need to be replaced,transmission has never been serviced, I already put a used turbo in it that I got from someone on volvospeed, and the only other things ive ever replaced on the car has been the brakes/rotors which are now new, and a front tie rod. Car will also need at least one new front axle soon because the boot is ripped and its only a matter of time before it dries up.

what do you guys think, should i just suck it up, and just slowly repair the important things and run this thing into the ground? I dont see myself getting any money for the car if I try to sell it, just seems like tooooo many things need to be repaired, and it is not a clean car at all. My dad keeps telling me to try to take it to the auction and get a couple hundred bucks for it, but that kind of angers me and cant find myself doing that. Ultimately I'm trying to save and get a nice 05-07 v70r 6spd, i just want to choose the best direction to point myself in right now considering my particular predicament with my current car :(

·
Registered
305 Posts
So you bought new bolts when installing a head gasket on a known warped block and now that its been properly decked you wanna shortcut by reusing old bolts? I would think your gonna be happier doing it all right this time

Sent from my rooted, rommed Galaxy Nexus....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no, i never knew the block was warped, and as far as i checked with a straight edge, i could not find any low spots but im not a machinist or good with that stuff, i thought it was from reusing the stock bolts the first time i did the HG, i thought installing a new gasket, getting the head cut & installing new head bolts would fix the problem, i was wrong so now im assuming the block must be warped

·
Registered
305 Posts
i see you added to the post. fix it and get rid of it. i had a 97 glt that had lots of issues. wifey did it in by hitting a deer, but glad that ones gone!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol i wish i could only be as lucky... everyday i buckle my seat belt and pray to god that someone plows the F*CK into me :)
I have not come to terms with putting full coverage on it and a tree jumping out in front of me just yet :(

·
Registered
305 Posts
deer dont count in these parts. dont need full coverage, just comp.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
coolant overflow cap broke apart while driving from all the pressure always building up and all coolant pushed out and car overheated severely, now headgasket is clearly leaking now because i can feel it missing, but will barelly even start up now, took me 30 minutes to get it started to limp to my shop last night

currently have no car now and the motor im sure is trashed :(

·
Registered
41 Posts
When the head was off did you check he block?
Also there are passages in between each cylinder which pass coolant through if and of them are collapsed high I'm goin to guess they are then throw the engine in the garbage and go onto car parts.com and buy another motor.
Hope this helps.
Oh I have been with volvo over 20 years. Just trying too help.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Never re-use headbolts. I suggest getting another vehicle. Good $$$$ chasing bad investment in repairs. Once headbolts installed correctly, engine operated through normal driving, heat/cool cycles, bolts stretched!

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you need a block I've got a 96 GLt parts car with a good "block" car spun a bearing. if you drop a set of bearings in it it will be good to go. Just saying....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts