SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finished my OSD and in the black leather booklet of documents, there is a "Certificate of Origin for a Vehicle". My dealer told me today that they need to keep the original document. Is this standard practice? Since I am the owner of the vehicle and the certificate has my name on it, shouldn't I get to keep the original? Thanks for any clarification!

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Hi Vaz,
Congratulations. This Certificate is yours, and you will need it to register the car in your local DMV. However, a dealer might need it, if the dealer handles your registration.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
I finished my OSD and in the black leather booklet of documents, there is a "Certificate of Origin for a Vehicle". My dealer told me today that they need to keep the original document. Is this standard practice? Since I am the owner of the vehicle and the certificate has my name on it, shouldn't I get to keep the original? Thanks for any clarification!
It all depends on who is going to handle your registration. If it's going to be you, then you keep it and (as Gascos80 pointed above), you will need to take it to your DMV office and complete the registration. That Certificate of Origin will become a title.

If your retailer is going to handle your registration and give you plates, then they need it in order to complete the registration within your state.

If you are financing the car, then the CO stays with whoever is going to process your registration because the title will be sent to the lienholder, not to you, until you pay off the loan.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks very much Gascos80 and GrecianVolvo for the detailed explanation! I better take a good picture of the CO tonight since I will never see it again. :)

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
You can think of the Certificate of Origin or as it is also known Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO) as the birth certificate for your car.

Whenever possible I make a copy of this for my customers.

However as it has already been pointed out the original version is needed by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to register the car in the USA.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can think of the Certificate of Origin or as it is also known Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO) as the birth certificate for your car.

Whenever possible I make a copy of this for my customers.

However as it has already been pointed out the original version is needed by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to register the car in the USA.
Thanks William! I will make a good copy of it so I have a good record of my XC90's "birth certificate"! :)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
When you purchase a new car from a dealer, the certificate of origin is made out to the dealer ... and they provide that to the RMV / DMV to pass title to the car in your name. Because the OSD program you are purchasing the car directly from Volvo (actually VCNA) the certificate of origin is made out to you, and not the dealer. But as others have stated - the process is the same: either you or your dealer on your behalf provide that CO to the RMV / DMV to register your vehicle and get a title for it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts