SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My imagination let's me believe that there will be an SUV in between the XC60 and the XC90.

I already believe that the XC70 will get demoted to the V70 Cross Country, since the V40 Cross Country is already there. That leaves 2 SUVs in the line, and that is not enough.

I assume that the XC90, which is coming out really soon, will be pretty large and very luxurious, but what will it really compete against?? It is the same problem that Audi has. The space between the Q5 and the Q7 is too large.

Mercedes is setting the trend for sure.... GLK < ML < GL

I feel that BMW will make this too, X3 < X5 < X7

What do you make of this???? Should Volvo not be in last place in entering a segment? Should Volvo finally wake up and smell the coffee and realize that there isn't a huge market between Mercedes Benz and Chevrolet? Should Volvo go for the big prize? I'm feeling it!

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Nothing!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I don't really see Volvo adding a third SUV between the XC60 and the XC90. There are far too many assumptions in your theory. You assume that Mercedes is setting a trend that others will follow and that Audi will fill in the gap between the Q5 and the Q7. From what I've read, Audi has not made any plans to slot something between the Q5 and the Q7 and is instead focusing on the Q3. BMW has made no indication that they're developing an X7 either. Considering the XC60 and XC90 are good competitors size wise to the X3 and X5, Volvo, if anything, will be better suited moving towards the smaller end and having a competitor to the X1 and Q3 which some may argue the V40 Cross Country could do.

With Volvo's engine strategy moving forward expanding the size of the XC90 and adding a third SUV/crossover would not make sense. The new "XC80" as you call it would likely be the same size as the current XC90 as there really isn't room between the two current offerings for a third model. Since the XC90 is already a seven passenger SUV making an even larger 7 passenger doesn't make sense. Volvo does not need and likely does not have the resources to produce a second 7 passenger vehicle.

It should also be noted the Volvo would likely be unable to manage such a car on import. They'd have to build it here like Mercedes builds the GL here.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
The Mercedes GL hasn't sold very well, has it? I didn't think there was a lot of room in that market. American automakers have it pretty well cornered.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/25/bmw-mulling-seven-passenger-x7-crossover-again/

I think it's pretty weird to have the X5 feature a 3rd row.

plus I believe an XC80 would be a bit smaller than the current XC90, and only feature 2 rows of seating. I wouldn't suggest to Volvo making 2 SUVs with 3 rows of seating. Once there is a bigger flagship sedan, I think it would make more sense...
An Autoblog article from over a year ago is hardly a reliable source. I'm talking test mules, announcements, etc. BMW has test mules running all over the place for various models but nothing has shown up in regard to the supposed X7.

Why do you think it's weird the X5 has a third row? It's slightly larger than the XC90 and the XC90 has a third row.

I just don't see the room between the two. The XC90 is 189.3" long and the XC60 is 182.2". Their wheelbases only differ by 4.4". They're the same width and the XC90 is 3 inches taller. Just doesn't seem like enough room for a third model in there.

The Mercedes GL hasn't sold very well, has it? I didn't think there was a lot of room in that market. American automakers have it pretty well cornered.
Apparently they sold over 25,000 of them in 2011. I don't know how well they've sold in 2012 but I wouldn't be surprised if it was even higher. Those aren't that high compared to what the XC90 has sold at times but it's a significantly more expensive vehicle. I'm a little surprised because I feel like I don't see many of them around. I see the GLK and ML far more often.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
The GL is a best seller in the mid-size premium SUV segment (other cars there are the Q7, MDX, GL, M, X5, XC90, JX, Lexus LX, Infiniti QX).

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
The GL is a best seller in the mid-size premium SUV segment (other cars there are the Q7, MDX, GL, M, X5, XC90, JX, Lexus LX, Infiniti QX).
Wouldn't the GL, along with the LX and QX be considered full size? I would even potentially lump the Q7 in there.

·
Registered
558 Posts
who knows......has Volvo considered a coupe SUV, like the BMW X6? I here Mercedes is making one of those
How many X6's do you see on the road?.......................Not many. So short answer isn no.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm actually a bit shocked in realizing the X5 is a bit longer than the XC90. The idea with the X6 is not to produce large sales directly, but large sales indirectly. Mercedes S Class is not money maker direclty, but it builds on the brand.

This kind of SUV intrigues me but I am not suggesting it for Volvo right now. You all seem to be off putting
:(

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Wouldn't the GL, along with the LX and QX be considered full size? I would even potentially lump the Q7 in there.
No, Suburban, Excursion, etc are full size.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
That "thing" remins me of an older Subaru Legacy Outback sedan and we all know how well that sold.......:facepalm:
(Personally I think that photoshop gives the S80 some personality, of which now it has NONE)!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
No, Suburban, Excursion, etc are full size.
Where do you get that from? I'm asking out of genuine curiosity because I've always considered vehicles like the LX, QX and GL to be full size. The Excursion doesn't even exist anymore so the only full size SUV on the market would be the Suburban and Yukon XL. Plus, wikipedia (which I acknowledge is not the final say in accurate information) lists them all as full size.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I agree on the LX QX GL thing being full size. The Chevy Traverse and Buick Enclave is where I draw the line between full size and mid size

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,286 Posts
It sells quite well. 25k $75k+ SUV's add up to a pretty significant chunk of change annually.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts