SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i decommissioned my wife's 2001 360k kms v70 because of high mileage wear on the front end components.
The cars steering was just too numb for my liking and i decided to rebuild/replace most everything to try and regain some on center feel and tonight was the struts turn to be dissected.
I removed what was probably the original Sachs and was surprised to find that only one was blown and had no gas pressure and neither were leaking fluid.
The replacement I'd chose were budget Meyle but upon inspection and comparison i stumbled across what I think will prove to be a reason why the original Sachs will be hard to beat.
As the struts serve as steering and suspension pivot points, build quality will play a major roll in how well they're going to work.
What I found is the original Sachs have a 1" diameter strut rod,, pretty heavy, stout piece indeed.
But the replacement Meyle show up to the party with a .875" diameter rod... yep .125" smaller.
So if you're deciding to replace your struts on a budget you'll probably have a hard time beating the Sachs for price and build quality.
I believe Volvo did their homework when they designed these cars and it'll be hard to beat their cost effective research for all round durability and reliability on most stock replacement components.
Just my 2 cents
cheers

·
Registered
18,347 Posts
So i decommissioned my wife's 2001 360k kms v70 because of high mileage wear on the front end components.
The cars steering was just too numb for my liking and i decided to rebuild/replace most everything to try and regain some on center feel and tonight was the struts turn to be dissected.
I removed what was probably the original Sachs and was surprised to find that only one was blown and had no gas pressure and neither were leaking fluid.
The replacement I'd chose were budget Meyle but upon inspection and comparison i stumbled across what I think will prove to be a reason why the original Sachs will be hard to beat.
As the struts serve as steering and suspension pivot points, build quality will play a major roll in how well they're going to work.
What I found is the original Sachs have a 1" diameter strut rod,, pretty heavy, stout piece indeed.
But the replacement Meyle show up to the party with a .875" diameter rod... yep .125" smaller.
So if you're deciding to replace your struts on a budget you'll probably have a hard time beating the Sachs for price and build quality.
I believe Volvo did their homework when they designed these cars and it'll be hard to beat their cost effective research for all round durability and reliability on most stock replacement components.
Just my 2 cents
cheers
You get what you pay for. Sachs for oem ride and bilstein touring for a just slightly better handling car with oem build quality.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Can somebody school me on which of the two are the better strut....Sachs or Bilstein Touring?
I ask because the Bilstein cost more than the Sachs.
But it sounds like the Sachs have the better "Quality level" rating. This, according to IPD.
https://www.ipdusa.com/catalog.asp?CAT_ID=1093&numRecordPosition=0&categorycrumbs=987

And which of the two would you guys recommend as being preferable for winter driving/snow drifts, (if this even a consideration).

thanks!

·
Registered
18,347 Posts
Can somebody school me on which of the two are the better strut....Sachs or Bilstein Touring?
I ask because the Bilstein cost more than the Sachs.
But it sounds like the Sachs have the better "Quality level" rating. This, according to IPD.
https://www.ipdusa.com/catalog.asp?CAT_ID=1093&numRecordPosition=0&categorycrumbs=987

And which of the two would you guys recommend as being preferable for winter driving/snow drifts, (if this even a consideration).

thanks!
Bilstein.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Bilstein.
I agree, just put in the tourings on all four wheels, definitely stiffer at 105k miles new than the sachs are at oem...comparing that to a 2003 v70 that I replaced the oem struts/shocks in a few years ago at around 120k miles... on rails compared to that

1 - 5 of 5 Posts