SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm in the midst of trying to hook up an aux transmission cooler that I got from an 04 XC90 at the yard onto my XC70. Cooler fits like a charm, the challenge is: the hoses.

The cooler takes those double o-ring'd, green plastic retainer fittings so I'm stuck using those to hook the transmission cooler up. Challenge is that the routing of the XC90 hoses was useless to me so I had to cut those. So I now have stubs out of the cooler. The OD of the stubs are 13/32" which is proving to be a pain to fit. If I really use force I can get the existing flex hoses to fit very, very snuggly over the hard metal stub but I can only get it on about 3/8" at most (the width of an oetiker clamp).

I'm willing to live with above but I don't have any length of hose long enough to cut into the existing lines so I may be stuck going back to wreckyard to cut some additional transmission flex hoses and connect them together.

1) Does anyone know if its ok to use regular PVC barb fittings on this - to connect flex to flex?

2) Does anyone know if fuel line is an ok subsititute for the transmission flex line? Someone at the auto store said that fuel lines would get eaten up over time...not sure about that.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here’s a visual:

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70

·
Registered
289 Posts
Barb fittings should be fine. I would not connect the rubber hose to the line without a barb or raised section on it though.

Try using some lube/temperature changes to get the hoses on easier. Power steering hose would likely be the best alternative to use.

I plan on doing the same shortly because stupid AW55 reasons (how are you mounting the XC90 cooler btw)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Barb fittings should be fine. I would not connect the rubber hose to the line without a barb or raised section on it though.

Try using some lube/temperature changes to get the hoses on easier. Power steering hose would likely be the best alternative to use.

I plan on doing the same shortly because stupid AW55 reasons (how are you mounting the XC90 cooler btw)
Thanks, Neil. I'll see if I can source a longer length of PS hose - that makes sense! The XC90 cooler is almost a perfect fit. On the drivers side there is a plastic tab with a hole through it that lines up perfectly and on the passenger side there is a little plastic cube with a hole through it that aligns perfectly with the hole in the cooler. The only very minor challenge is that the aluminum tabs on he cooler need to be bent a bit as it's being installed upside down effectively.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I got about 3 feet of oil-rated hose on Ebay or Amazon and brass hose fittings in Home Depot.

The cooler does not see too much pressure, the transmission has a relief valve inside that regulates the ATF pressure diverted to the cooler.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Did the cooler have two hoses going from it with a screw cap in one end of the one hose and the o-rings fitting in the end of the other hose?

If so I believe they are ro be used in series with the normal radiator cooler 🙂.

Like this:
https://www.volvopartshop.com/oil-cooler-xc90-25t-for-automatic-transmission-16533-p.asp

Edit: I think I misunderstood, i read now you said the routing was off. Not that the hoses wouldnt fit together.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts