SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What happens if one purchases a car via OSD, but then decides not to import it back to USA? I would imagine you have to pay VAT taxes on the vehicle as well as conversion costs to comply with the European regulations. Just curious if anybody has ever done it?

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Probably, but people might not reveal it. Besides all of the above, you also in a breach of contract with the VCC, and might be liable for whaever damages the VCC might have due to that breach.

You can re-import the US car back to Europe. The shipping cost is not that big... and you do not pay VAT on the used car...I was seriously considering sending my old 2000 OSD S80 to my daughter in Spain, but her contract there fell apart and she came back home.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Probably, but people might not reveal it. Besides all of the above, you also in a breach of contract with the VCC, and might be liable for whaever damages the VCC might have due to that breach.
Exactly. The Swedish VAT will have to be paid on the entire purchase price plus actions like that can put the enti OSD program in jeopardy.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Besides all of the above, you also in a breach of contract with the VCC, and might be liable for whaever damages the VCC might have due to that breach.

You can re-import the US car back to Europe. The shipping cost is not that big... and you do not pay VAT on the used car..
I am assuming here that the papers you sign prior to taking possession of the vehicle stipulates that you agree to import it to US? That would makes sense from Volvo's point of view. Interesting. I was just curious as you are the importer, not Volvo NA.

Yes, the cost of doing that would be insanely prohibitive, when you can ship vehicles from the East Coast for $1,500 or so...

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
The OSD paperwork details the repercussions of not exporting in a certain amount of time. VAT would be due.

Sorry, I don't have it handy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts