SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this isn't exactly R specific but this R audience is likely to want to know this stuff more than anyone else...

There's 3 reasons to add gauges to a car:

1 - appearance, "trick it out"
2 - monitor the health
3 - understand how to acheive better performance

I believe that in this age of ECU and CEL etc. that the manufacturers take care of (2). It's (3) that is the important one. Done properly, gauges that serve (3) satisfy (1).

So let's examine (3). Some time ago I proposed a combination Boost/AFR gauge and that's still on my own possibility list but let me explain what IMO are the important gauges.

Boost - some would say you can't do much about boost but in fact you can do things to help build boost. Some of my other postings ramble on about those techniques.

AFR - air/fuel ratio - again the ECU should handle this well but Johann's recent reports show why it may be good to monitor that and perhaps most importantly, you'd never want to have it go lean.

I/CT - intercooler temperature(s) - you can either measure the outlet only or both the inlet/outlet temeperatures. This is a good one to watch if you're trying to make sure you will be able to develop max HP at a given point. I have even heard of guys that turned their air-con on to force the fans on to try to bring the outlet temp down. A better way to do it is to add a manual fan switch.

I'll be adding some ideas on how to add these to this thread as time goes on...

Fuel Pressure - monitor this if you regularly visit max boost and you want to be cerain that the AFR doesn't go south due to fuel starvation.

Modified by JimLill at 4:02 PM 6-28-2003

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: What Gauges to Add.... IMO (JimLill)

One dilemma is how to mount gauges. I like many of you hate the pods. In-Dash space is at a premium. Another technique is to add all the wiring and /or hoses on a concealble embylical and then had a temporary gauge pack you can plug in and put someplace for that run etc.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts

IPD should be able to supply a boost readout in the computer readout display in the bottom left corner of instrument pod. I believe they already have one for current Volvo turbo engines.

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: What Gauges to Add.... IMO (barrysharp)

not yet owning my R......

what parameters can be monitored on the R with the factory stuff now?

·
Registered
4,044 Posts

Nothing but

Miles to empty tank
Average MPG
Average MPH
Instantaneous MPG
OCP text messages and Cell Phone data if you have OCP and activate Cell phone

More info at http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/ (see last but one posting)

More info at http://www.sct-tuning.com/ (this site sells the Boost readout of Bar and PSI)

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: What Gauges to Add.... IMO (barrysharp)

Quote, originally posted by barrysharp »

More info at http://www.sct-tuning.com/ (this site sells the Boost readout of Bar and PSI)

Looks nice but I'd like fast response time, always an issue with digital gauges... (remember digi tachs... yech!)...

·
Registered
414 Posts

Jim - those are pretty fun ideas you layed out
Yannis told me that the digital trip computer display can be used as a digital boost gauge, with iPD upgrade. Personally, I prefer analog gauges, so some kind of a gauge cluster either by the current gauge pod or on central console where the shifter is would be awesome. The main question is, how tough is it to implement the sensors you are talking about. I wouldn't want to have people messing with the engine too much. Would you think that most of this information can be extracted from central computer somehow?

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: What Gauges to Add.... IMO (the_dude)

Quote, originally posted by the_dude »
The main question is, how tough is it to implement the sensors you are talking about.

AFR uses the existing O2 sensor
Boost connects via hose to an existing line (need a tee)
I/C temp is via K-type thermocouples slipped in under (big) hose

So.... pretty easy I think

·
Registered
177 Posts

With a turbo car, one of the more important gauges is the EGT (Exhaust Gas Temp) gauge. That'll tell you rich or lean. It's especially useful with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. But that's more of the 'hard core' side.
I know when I got a boost gauge I was like...so what. Maybe this was a waste. However, I've learned to read the boot gauge in conjunction with the rpm's when launching the car (Jetta is FWD). You don't want to get out of boost...just ride the clutch out.

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: What Gauges to Add.... IMO (boostmiser)

AFR can tell rich/lean too.... I think one or the other... AFR cheaper

·
Registered
1,821 Posts

JimLill,

In all seriousness, I'm very interested, but my requirements are 1. Looks good (nothing cheap-looking - even pillar pods could work if there's no other good solution) and 2. Cheap, relatively speaking... I don't want to spendhundreds on gauges... lastly 3. Easy to install... I'm no pro. I can do quite a bit, but nothing that takes an automobile mechanic.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Re: What Gauges to Add.... IMO (djeuch)

If you want a quality made product that looks like it came stock, get ready to pay some money. I don't know what you consider expensive but here's something for reference. The pic below is for single pod. Without the gauge, it's $240. But it's great quality that matches the interior perfect...looks like it's oem.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Re: (defgh1)

yea, I think pillar pods aren't the best thing... after staring at a large picture of the R interior for a while, I have two ideas. One: if you aren't getting On-Call, you could make a 3-gauge cluster such that it would plug into that rectangular hole for On-Call. Two: You could fit several (3 or 4) gauges rather nicely where the penholder is, right below the traction control switches. I'm not sure what size gauges would go in that space, but I've seen several modded cars (not Volvos) with extra gauges in that location. Wiring should be fairly straightforward with idea #2: as you can see in Valentine 1 Install thread, when you remove the penholder, there's already a hole through which wires can be routed. I may be wrong though. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Re: (the_dude)

On-call is such a fabulous option, I have it - therefore not available. As for below the buttons, that's way too low... it has to be closer to eye level for me...

·
Registered
414 Posts
Re: (djeuch)

i agree... well, another idea is - if you arent getting the navigation system, you could mount a horizontal gauge cluster in your field of view in that place somewhere. It wouldn't be as neat running the wires there, and it would be clearly visible to on-lookers...

i dont know - Jim, it's an interesting issue to think about
you always bring up interesting questions.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Re: (JimLill)

Jim, also if it's only one dual gauge, could it go on the steering column somehow, like the Subaru WRX does it?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts