SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious to see what other cars you guys own, wrench on, and drive? Me, I'm a BMW guy for the most part, but nothing newer than 1991 is very interesting from Munich, so when it came time for a new car, the V50 was my choice. Owning an auto restoration shop has it's challenges, and the biggest one seems to be finding time to work on my own project cars, rather than all my client's cars. So, in no particular order, here's the rest of my fleet:

1977 BMW 630csi. This is a 2 owner car from San Diego, sold originally by Cunningham BMW. It's a Karmann bodied car, which usually spells rust, and lots of it. This car is an exception, and is probably the cleanest Karmann bodied car I have EVER seen, period. I bought it needing interior work, an engine, and a transmission. Still waiting patiently for the work to be done, but it will get done in the next year or so.

Next up is my 1981 BMW 323i. This one is special, as they were never sold in North America. It shares the body with the US spec 320i, but has small bumpers, and a 6 cylinder, 145hp engine, amongst other goodies. Mine is even more unique, as it came from the UK, so it's right hand drive, and has a close ratio, dog leg 5 speed in it. I've been plugging away on this one for nearly 2 full years now, and hope to get it done later this year.

Finally, my last beast is a 1967 BMW 1600. I bought it a couple years ago, drove it up from Portland area, and fixed a few things on it. I later sold it to a friend, who fixed a few more things, and then I bought it back, and fixed a few more things. I'm currently negotiating to sell it back to the guy I bought it from! Poor little car.

So, anyone else? We've also got a bunch of customer cars kicking around here, from a 72 2002tii, to a VW Scirocco, my old 533i, and even a very rare black over black 88 M5, and a 71 2800cs.

Al

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Re: What else do you guys own and drive? (Al Canuck)

1999 Ferrari F355
2003 Ferrari 456GT
2004 Ferrari 360 CS
2006 BMW M5

.... oooh sorry, I must have been dreaming!

But seriously, my Volvo is my only car.

Nice collection of cars- have you ever owned the original M3?
The last gen 5-series was pretty bad-ass. Love that car.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Re: What else do you guys own and drive? (eurotrash)

Lol Eurotrash. Throw a Gallardo and a carrera GT in that mix and youve got my garage*

*dream garage that i will never have, i drive a 2001 explorer waiting for an s40 t5.

·
Registered
298 Posts

here's mine, it's a daily (my wife drives the V50 mostly) It's been mostly converted to "euro spec" (bumpers rad support, lights, shaved marker lights, small tails, etc), it's no 2002, or BMW for that matter but I like it. Not a very good pic but the only one I have resized at the moment....

What year is the scirocco? 78 to 81 is my favorite, and hardest to find, I used to had an 81 but it was beat up (and the reason I bought a rabbit, just as fun to drive but easier to find parts).

Modified by TFS at 9:00 PM 4-9-2006

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: What else do you guys own and drive? (TFS)

Eurotrash,

That would be a helluva nice garage! Maybe one day. I've never owned an E30 M3, although I've driven a few, and have had the opportunity to one them before. Friend of mine daily drives one, and also has an M1. I have had the opportunity to drive a 2002 with an S14 from an E30 M3 as well, talk about a riot!

TFS,

I'm a long time Rabbit owner myself, having owned over 12 of them in the past 15 years. First car was an 84 GTI. My ex-girlfriend still drives this one -

I built that car for her about 3 years ago. It's got a bunch of suspension stuff, GTI brakes, 10:1 1.8, 5 speed swap from automatic, and we also sewed a complete blue denim interior for it a couple years ago. Scirocco in the shop is an 83, which we're just completing an ABA swap in. I also like the early Scirocco's, having owned 2 79's in my day.

Al

·
Registered
433 Posts
Cool question! Me, a 1990 Mustang GT. Simple bolt-ons in a meager attempt to keep it as close to stock as possible. I'd consider it one of the cleanest ones you can find in Michigan, although it has it's minor cosmetic problems that are unavoidable when driven daily!

Short throw shifter, x-pipe, Flowmasters and Toyo tires. Nice, simple, and loud enough to make my neighbors ask me whether or not I've sold it yet every time I bring it out.

I'd like to sell this for the LX notchback model or an older car to restore. But something tells me I won't.

·
Registered
70 Posts

1994 Land Rover Defender 90
1971 Mercedes Benz 300sel
2006 Volvo V50

+ a couple motorcycles

Looking at my list makes me realize I'm out of touch with reality. I don't have time for all these vehicles!

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Re: (davidklaw)

I have a 97 pontiac sunfire conv, with many mods, 200 hp stripped interior 2600 lbs . 145 mph top end. my V50 T5 is sold but the bsr stage 3 is still on the way as well as the 3" DP and exhaust. next toy LS2 GTO , want to get it into 10s. might get MX5 for kicks , as well as a 850 (starting to like the older volvos) loved the 90 5.0 Lx mustang, might have to look into this as well

·
Registered
1,205 Posts

Just Volvos (look at sig
)

I wrenched on Hondas and Acuras back in the days, but converted to Volvos.

·
Registered
298 Posts

Wow Al that rabbit is MINT! If you ever think of selling please let your fellow Volvo owner know
, I'm a short drive away . Someday I'd like to upgrade from the GTi to a nice clean E30 (325is would be nice) but they are getting harder to find or people seem to want a lot of money for them (rightfully so I guess).

Edit: Oops, I just noticed you said "EX" girlfriend, I guess you won't be selling it then

Modified by TFS at 3:23 PM 4-3-2006

·
Registered
94 Posts

My other AWD Turbo baby.......except I can get a front wheel off the ground when I launch that one right

1 of ~4,700 Typhoons made......definately a blast to drive.

·
Registered
536 Posts
1998 Acura EL for me. It was a poshed up Civic available only in Canada. It served me well from high school thru university.
The S40 is my second.

Al, your BMW 1600 looks awesome. If you were a little closer I'll be asking you to lend it to me for my wedding! Me and my financée are looking for a classic car from the 60s or 70s to use haha.

Your 323i is looking good too! Post pics when you're done with it!

·
Registered
98 Posts

I currently have a 2002 Boxster that I will be leaving me in a few months

at the Cadillac Ranch
I just bought a 99 Mazda B4000 4x4 Pickup. Its not super fancy but it will be fun.

I had a 98 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 that I had Supercharged, it was a ton of fun and surprisingly fast. I had planned on paying it off and getting a sports car, but when I saw my little Boxster, I talked about buying it on a whim and was able to make a great deal!

Cheers
MichaelD.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Re: What else do you guys own and drive? (hiwinds)

I have the following:

2000 Hyundai Starex Family van (not sold in the States)
2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac
2003 BMW M3
2004 Honda CR-V (for the wifey)

and the 2004.5 S40....

I would have the admit, I love the Bimmer the most!!!

·
Registered
84 Posts

My 2005 XL883C It's an old pic but thats my summer ride, my poor s40 is going to be bored this summer sitting in the driveway.

-Jason

Modified by LT_T45 at 6:17 AM 4-21-2006

·
Registered
233 Posts

Well it's not exactly a daily driver but my dad and I have been fixing this up for about 18 years...still fast as hell...1953 Jaguar XK120

·
Registered
137 Posts

Well I drive a '98 Audi A4 2.8Q. I absolutely love it, just put PhatNoise in it to go along w/ the Bose. That my daily driver, the wife takes the S40.

And.. its not my ride but I do "wrench" on it, lol F/A-18E/F Super Hornet

I used to work on the Tomcat, but its goin' away

1 - 20 of 44 Posts