SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that the new MY2020 OSD program requires that the ordering dealer MUST also be the delivering dealer once it reaches the USA. Is this correct? If this is the case, a buyer must choose carefully who to give the OSD order to as this is where the car will be delivered. I have read that OSD orders will come out of dealer allocations. Does this take away any incentive for a particular dealer to make a deal on a MY202 V-60 OSD for June 2020 delivery?
I want to work with a dealer that will allow me to test drive and extended test drive both the V60 and the V60cc to help me choose which V60 to order. I don't want to go around bluffing dealers and getting their hopes up just to test drive a car off the lot I won't be buying. The local dealer doesn't have the car on the lot for me to test drive at this time. I will call today and find out when (or if) they will have one and if it will have the options I am looking for in my OSD car.:p:p

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
26 Posts
In my experience, it has an effect later in the release cycle as some dealers will have allocation to perform your OSD and some will not.

As far as making a deal on an OSD order, you are already getting a significant discount beyond msrp, so your mileage may vary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok.. So OSD may or may not effect a dealers allocations depending on when the order is placed or delivered.
Not looking for a deal on the OSD, as I know that is price fixed. What I am looking for is a willingness to allow me to take extended test drives from their instock cars prior to ordering an OSD. I don't want to play a game with them about it. I don't know if this is a big ask or a small ask?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ok.. So OSD may or may not effect a dealers allocations depending on when the order is placed or delivered.
Not looking for a deal on the OSD, as I know that is price fixed. What I am looking for is a willingness to allow me to take extended test drives from their instock cars prior to ordering an OSD. I don't want to play a game with them about it. I don't know if this is a big ask or a small ask?
I haven’t had experience with an extended test drive, but at my dealer here in Portland, he had me test drive a 2018, and it seemed like it might have been their “preferred tester car” - as in maybe they are intending on keeping it around and selling it used.

I’ve never understood how dealers do extended test drives on new cars since, if I bought a “new” car with 100 miles on it, I wouldn’t be happy with that. I know they do it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Why don't you just go down to your local Volvo store (s) and tell them what you have told us. That way you can guage their reaction and from that choose which dealer to work with. I ordered my XC60 pretty much sight unseen. I didn't have a test drive or spend anytime looking at the car in person. But we are long time Volvo owners and pretty much knew what we were getting into. With that said I absolutely would not order a car from a different manufacture without spending some time with it prior to order. If you do talk with a salesman I'm pretty sure he/they will try and talk you out of an OSD order and just complete a custom order, probably at a price below OSD. I'm pretty sure they will get more $$$$ on a custom order than on an OSD order.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
While seldom (if ever) a car dealer will be honest I think they might take my honest approach seriously. I am going to contact a local dealer and lay it on the line and see what they say.
As for two hour or over night testing.....Yeah, if they have an owners car that they plan to keep as a loaner and sell as a Demo/New I might be able to have that extended test drive. One dealer did offer this to me but that was when he thought I was going to buy one from stock. I'll report back any news I get with honesty is the best policy approach. There's an oxymoron...Honest car dealer!

·
Registered
602 Posts
I understand that the new MY2020 OSD program requires that the ordering dealer MUST also be the delivering dealer once it reaches the USA. Is this correct? If this is the case, a buyer must choose carefully who to give the OSD order to as this is where the car will be delivered. I have read that OSD orders will come out of dealer allocations. Does this take away any incentive for a particular dealer to make a deal on a MY202 V-60 OSD for June 2020 delivery?
I want to work with a dealer that will allow me to test drive and extended test drive both the V60 and the V60cc to help me choose which V60 to order. I don't want to go around bluffing dealers and getting their hopes up just to test drive a car off the lot I won't be buying. The local dealer doesn't have the car on the lot for me to test drive at this time. I will call today and find out when (or if) they will have one and if it will have the options I am looking for in my OSD car.:p:p

Anybody have any thoughts on this?
A couple of thoughts. First is there are no v60 cc currently, 2nd is if you drove a v60 they are t6 engines and the v60/v60 cc will be a t5 engine.

Not many dealers took 2019 v60’s.
Don’t worry about the dealer allocations for what you are thinking. It should only be an issue with the XC40 and some XC90 variants when it comes to allocations.

Also what do you think is an extended test drive? 5 miles or 5 days?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Today I was offered a test drive that will be overnight loan of a V60 MY2020 when they are plentiful in dealer stock in September. No doubt they will have loander demo's that I can take out for a few hours of driving the following day. I am thinking a 150 or 200 miles would be a fair test. My long legs and the high consol in the MY2019 are make for a less than comfortable right leg position. I have to try if out for my than 15 minutes to see if it stays comfortable over a few hours-simple as that. Two local dealers told me there is no issue with an overnight loaner (when the have the inventory). Today the dealer was very happy to work with my on an OSD car that I project to make deposit on early in 2020. I liked the car-But I won't spend $50K and be uncomfortable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My ordering dealer was in California. My delivery dealer was in Philadelphia. 2019 R-Design XC40. Just FYI. I don't know anything about your question specifically.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My ordering dealer was in California. My delivery dealer was in Philadelphia. 2019 R-Design XC40. Just FYI. I don't know anything about your question specifically.
I understood from Barbara at Volvo USA OSD that they changed the program as of April 15, 2019 that ordering dealer and delivering dealer must be the same. I do not have confirmation from the OSD forum administrator that this is the case.
Maybe the Flyvolvo people can confirm????

·
Registered
226 Posts
It’s been stated that due to recent changes, car will be delivered to the dealer that placed the OSD order.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts