SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm not going to cry foul yet with Volvo, but I think my rear bumper is deforming with heat and age. Along the bottom of the taillight it looks like it is starting to bow out. Bumper has never been hit, and pushing in that area it doesnt feel it has any fasteners in that location....unless it is double sided tape or something that is coming loose. Here is what I'm talking about.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Volvo XC90 T6 R-Design with air suspension and B&W Sound system
647 Posts
Have the same with my 2018 XC90... was actually thinking of adding some double stick tape there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm fairly certain it was not this way a year ago, but if your 2018 suffers from this then we are looking at a design flaw.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just noticed this same exact thing on my 2017 when I was washing it last week. Definitely was not like that previously. We’ve had a hot summer here in Austin.

·
Registered
7,511 Posts
If you ever took off the bumper cover, the claws (tabs along the edge) are quite slim. Though they are not built to bear any weight but still...

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pretty sure volvo would deny warranty based on the 12k rattles and adjustments warranty, but I may take it in and log a complaint anyways, cause who knows what it will look like in 5 years.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Here is a pic of mine.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok yeah that's crap

·
Registered
80 Posts
2018 Volvo XC-90 R-Design package, Bursting Blue Metallic - grocery hauler and long distance cruiser
2015 Fiat 500e - commute car
I wonder what is your reasoning for not using Volvo as your commute car? Is it just historical reasons (Fiat came first), gas saving considerations or something else?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Fiat is long gone... but used it for car pool lane access back in the day. I updated the signature to show the Volvo as my commuter. ;)

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I'm fairly certain it was not this way a year ago, but if your 2018 suffers from this then we are looking at a design flaw.

Mine looks the same and on the same side (left). It has been since new - you probably didn't inspect that small edge by the taillight and it's been there since new for you as well. Although I first noticed it at delivery once stateside, here's a picture where I could have noticed it if I were looking for it just 3 days after delivery at the factory.

I had attributed it to a botched hitch install at the factory during which they had also not properly re-aligned the cover and it was rubbing with the tailgate. My home dealer re-installed the bumper but they couldn't get that corner to be flush with the taillight.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I just noticed this problem in my 2016 XC90 (purchase date July 2015) on both sides. Not planning to take it to the service yet but I wanted to let others know. We should try to figure out how common the problem is if we can.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I just noticed this problem in my 2016 XC90 (purchase date July 2015) on both sides. Not planning to take it to the service yet but I wanted to let others know. We should try to figure out how common the problem is if we can.
It's probably a few or they've addressed it for newer models. I just took a look at a new 2019 loaner I have and it's cover is perfectly flush with the taillights. I'll need to remember to check out a few at the dealer when I go to pick ours up from service.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Here is a pic of mine.

Yep, that's what my 2016 looks like too. I noticed it a few days after purchase. I attributed it to early build growing pains. I have noticed that the problem seems to have been solved in later model years that I have looked at on dealer lots.

To the OP- if your issues with this car are only cosmetic, consider yourself lucky.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep, that's what my 2016 looks like too. I noticed it a few days after purchase. I attributed it to early build growing pains. I have noticed that the problem seems to have been solved in later model years that I have looked at on dealer lots.

To the OP- if your issues with this car are only cosmetic, consider yourself lucky.
not sure why I should consider myself lucky for manufacturing defects. I see this continuing to bow and look like a cheap kia in 8 years.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not trying to downplay your problem, my bumper looks like this too, I have other issues as well, I get it.

It’s interesting that the problem seems to be getting worse. Did you go to the dealer with this? I remember your sunshades were falling apart too, ever get that addressed at the dealer? Just curious

·
Registered
820 Posts
I have a similar type problem with the bumper cover on my V90, but on the right side of the car (between the wheel and the tail light) where the corner of the cover meets up with the tail lamp. Like that since new and the dealer indicated that it is within tolerance. I wonder if it is a clip that is bad. But, I also wonder if the fix is worse than the problem - mainly if it requires a new bumper cover that would not have the VIN sticker.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not trying to downplay your problem, my bumper looks like this too, I have other issues as well, I get it.

It's interesting that the problem seems to be getting worse. Did you go to the dealer with this? I remember your sunshades were falling apart too, ever get that addressed at the dealer? Just curious
The sunshade is getting fixed this week.

·
Registered
418 Posts
During my walk in the city today, I saw four parked XC90s and interestingly two of them had this problem. Not as bad as the pic above, but also not perfectly smooth with the taillight. I will report back when I complete another study with a larger sample size :))

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have a 2018 XC90 and both sides are perfect. Will post pics in the morning.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts