SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not too long ago, I was inquiring about at an 08 XC90 at a dealer. Said vehicle is still in the shop for their pre-sale inspection. After having put forward my preliminary questions, the sales rep got back to me and said that vehicle has too many problems to be worthy of a sale so this XC90 will be sold wholesale.

Fast forward to today. In Craigslist there is an XC90 being sold by a private party. Over the phone the seller said that he buys wholesale and sells cars privately.
The VIN is traceable to a Volvo dealer not too long ago and mileage is consistent.

Now I am wary to proceed further knowing that this XC90 came from a wholesale purchase.

So what does "wholesale" imply? Thanks in advance for all replies.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
he buys them at Auction.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
itwontstopsnowin will know best. He bought both of his from auctions. I would PM him and get more info.

·
Registered
836 Posts
he buys them at Auction.
This is correct.

Wholesale is what licensed dealers pay for used cars at auction. Below is a current run list for 6 and 8 cyl 2008 XC90. MMR is the average Manheim price that has been paid for similar cars. Some sell for more, some sell for less, depending on condition, desirability etc etc.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Now I am wary to proceed further knowing that this XC90 came from a wholesale purchase.
Wholesale does not equal problematic. Many franchise dealers acquire their used stock through the wholesale channel.

If the seller is acquiring through Manheim auctions, there is normally a condition report by Manheim inspectors done prior to auction. CR is condensed into a number that ranges from 0 to 5.0 (sort of like a GPA). The report will have itemized descriptions of all blemishes that drop the CR value.

You could ask the seller for the report, but unless it's stellar you probably won't see it. You could ask for the CR number, but there is no way to verify whether it is accurate. Best is to ask for disclosure of any problems and confirm condition with an independent mechanic of your choosing via pre-sale inspection.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Wholesale does not equal problematic. Many franchise dealers acquire their used stock through the wholesale channel.

If the seller is acquiring through Manheim auctions, there is normally a condition report by Manheim inspectors done prior to auction. CR is condensed into a number that ranges from 0 to 5.0 (sort of like a GPA). The report will have itemized descriptions of all blemishes that drop the CR value.

You could ask the seller for the report, but unless it's stellar you probably won't see it. You could ask for the CR number, but there is no way to verify whether it is accurate. Best is to ask for disclosure of any problems and confirm condition with an independent mechanic of your choosing via pre-sale inspection.
Buying from auction is a gamble. e.g. you can't check for "angle gear" problems, transmission/valve body problems, coil pack issues etc etc. The CR score is strictly for visual observations. Everything else ... you're on you own after you buy (although there is an optional 14 day - 250 mile inspection guarantee that can be purchased, I believe).

·
Registered
696 Posts
Classic Andy Rooney segment on what happens to a used car (he followed the path of his trade-in). Manheim content included:

https://youtu.be/Ng8tmfPWg00

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is about a Craigslist listing in Hartford, CT. Trumbull area about an 07 XC90 V8 Sport.

The seller refused to have the vehicle inspected by a mechanic outside of where the vehicle is.
If you bring in a mechanic, he does NOT have a lift for a thorough check.

·
Registered
836 Posts
This is about a Craigslist listing in Hartford, CT. Trumbull area about an 07 XC90 V8 Sport.

The seller refused to have the vehicle inspected by a mechanic outside of where the vehicle is.
If you bring in a mechanic, he does NOT have a lift for a thorough check.
What's your point ...?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What's your point ...?
Just a friendly reminder that Buyer Beware.
I was simply doing my pre purchase diligence.
Hence, I didn't even reach the price negotiation part.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts