SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 V70R M66 with just under 86k miles. I picked it up a couple months ago and had it looked over by my Volvo dealer (like a pre-inspection) and it was found to be very clean. Visually everything is in great shape. To be safe I did the Timing Belt, idler, and tensioner a few weeks after purchasing.

I've noticing while driving with very light throttle (think cruising in 4th at about 3000 rpm) the car occasionally hesitates. This morning while accelerating hard around 50-60mph (near WOT for a moment) the car basically lost all power for a fraction of a second. It startled me as the change from deep throttle power to no power caused the car rock forward. I obviously then backed off throttle and it recovered. This was the first time this has happened deep in throttle. No check engine light, no message in info minder.

Assuming the plugs were last changed per Volvo recommended service interval of 60k miles, does it seem likely they are toast 25k miles later? Or is it just as likely one of the coils is failing?

Would a generic code scanner give me details on which cylinder is misfiring (if that is even the problem)? I'm not really looking to get a Volvo scanner setup. I can always take it back to Volvo to scan, but if it is a misfire I'd like to give the plugs/coil replacement a try. I don't presume this kind of issue would be the TCV?

Thanks for any input. I'm hoping these two scenarios are indicative of something obvious.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
That's what a misfire sounds like. Coils are always a good choice... However, in the 288k miles my R has been driven the plugs have never been changed at a 60k interval... It's always been less than 20k from the service records I have... Whether or not this matters I have no idea. Check the plug gap. And I'd suggest getting VIDA if you're in it for the long haul. An ebay VIDA costs as much as a single scan from Volvo...

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
A coil will feel like a power stutter, and it will usually only happen at wide open throttle.

What you describe sounds much more like the fuel pressure sensor going bad.

Only the volvo scanner will give you misfire information. Then again as I discovered when I had a coil going bad causing the power stutter, even the dealer couldn't figure out what was up when I got stumped and took it in for them to scan. It appears it takes a pretty bad coil failure before a misfire will be registered.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And I'd suggest getting VIDA if you're in it for the long haul. An ebay VIDA costs as much as a single scan from Volvo...
I was always under impression I needed a laptop to use the scanner. Maybe that is only the real DICE scanner. Are you referring to the "iCarsoft i906" scanner on eBay? Do you find it useful? Curious about its "live" monitoring. Does it give boost pressure? I don't want a boost gauge as I don't think they look tasteful unless OEM inside the main instrument cluster, but I would like to confirm if my car is making proper boost.

Regardless of boost readout, is this the scanner you recommend? I like how it is a standalone unit similar to other generic OBD-2 scanners.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
I was always under impression I needed a laptop to use the scanner. Maybe that is only the real DICE scanner. Are you referring to the "iCarsoft i906" scanner on eBay? Do you find it useful? Curious about its "live" monitoring. Does it give boost pressure? I don't want a boost gauge as I don't think they look tasteful unless OEM inside the main instrument cluster, but I would like to confirm if my car is making proper boost.

Regardless of boost readout, is this the scanner you recommend? I like how it is a standalone unit similar to other generic OBD-2 scanners.
No. You need a laptop/desktop for VIDA/DiCE. I would stay away from the iCarsoft whatever junk. A cheap eBay thinkpad and VIDA are what I'd do if I didn't have a laptop. It's been a year and I'm still trying to find a boost gauge I like. I'm thinking of just building one with a pressure transducer and a microcontroller. I want a bar graph boost gauge, not a dial or a number.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts