SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all-

I'm under the C30 changing the oil and noticed this on the bottom of the tranny (6 speed). There was some there last oil change which I wiped off and now it's back again. The car only has 25k. It's still under warranty, but it's a bit disconcerting to have a leak with so few miles.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Well, that is the drain plug, and it looks to have a crush washer in there. The casing is normally sealed with a gasket, so that's an interesting spot for it.

Were any of those bolts loose? They should be tightened too much, just snug. I had a small engine oil leak on the pan, so I tightening the bolts in that area, and it's been gone for a year.

Is it dripping down from somewhere else? Finally, are you sure it's tranny fluid?

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, that is the drain plug, and it looks to have a crush washer in there. The casing is normally sealed with a gasket, so that's an interesting spot for it.

Were any of those bolts loose? They should be tightened too much, just snug. I had a small engine oil leak on the pan, so I tightening the bolts in that area, and it's been gone for a year.

Is it dripping down from somewhere else? Finally, are you sure it's tranny fluid?
I made sure the plug was tight the first time around but didn't check the others.

And yes, there is zero fluid coming from anywhere else - I checked with a fine tooth comb!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Check those two around it. Snug them up if loose.

·
Registered
838 Posts
It almost looks like you have two washers, Is there a copper washer there also? do you replace the washer with every oil change?

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It almost looks like you have two washers, Is there a copper washer there also? do you replace the washer with every oil change?
That's the transmission fluid plug, not the oil plug. And the pic is deceiving - the shiny part under the head is part of the plug, not a second washer. I'll be making an appt. with the dealership, but I wanted to see if others experienced this so early on. Pretty disappointing considering the '05 V50 I recently sold with 125k didn't have a single leak in its lifetime.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Get rid of that copper washer! Those are for the steel pans on older engines. Use one, fresh aluminum one on ours with each change.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Yes. That's been touched. I thought so too about the washer. Standard is aluminum for oil and tranny. Not copper, which yours appears to be.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, looks like the dealer will have to deal with that as I'm not about to replace the fluid on the tranny myself!

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Sure it isn't fluid from the hydraulic motor mount? I believe the C30 uses hydraulic on that side as do the later S40, V50.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sure it isn't fluid from the hydraulic motor mount? I believe the C30 uses hydraulic on that side as do the later S40, V50.
Yeah there is no sign of any other fluid anywhere but on the very bottom of the tranny right around the plug, so it looks like the culprit. Making an appt. with the dealer anyway.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update: the shop foreman (the only one allowed to work on my car!) said I need a whole new transmission. Apparently something on the casing is cracked. First time he's seen this. LOVE warranties, but HATE the idea of ripping my car apart. :(

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Hey! Good news! That's really good that you caught it. Good job checking it out man.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey! Good news! That's really good that you caught it. Good job checking it out man.
Well, yes because I get a new tranny, but not really because it means tearing the car down. :(

·
Registered
656 Posts
Well, yes because I get a new tranny, but not really because it means tearing the car down. :(
Yeah that's bitter sweet. However, you have no alternative, so at the end of the day it's the best thing. At least it's still under warranty, thus no cost, and will be done at the dealer with OEM parts. -Best possible scenario, aside from the casing not being cracked...

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Yeah that's bitter sweet. However, you have no alternative, so at the end of the day it's the best thing. At least it's still under warranty, thus no cost, and will be done at the dealer with OEM parts. -Best possible scenario, aside from the casing not being cracked...
Yes. That's what I was referring too. Haha I'm sorry your tranny is bad. But happy you don't have to pay for it.

The weird of the failure. I wish we knew more because they are normally solid in these cars.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I misheard the advisor. When I went to get the C30 today (I have to take it back since they need to order the tranny) I spoke with the tech. Basically, the seal between the casing halves is leaking and Volvo doesn't let them open up the tranny to reseal so they simply throw a whole new one in. Go figure.

I thought it weird that the casing itself was somehow cracked.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I misheard the advisor. When I went to get the C30 today (I have to take it back since they need to order the tranny) I spoke with the tech. Basically, the seal between the casing halves is leaking and Volvo doesn't let them open up the tranny to reseal so they simply throw a whole new one in. Go figure.

I thought it weird that the casing itself was somehow cracked.
Sorry to revive this!

My same seal is leaking on my S40... What did you do about it? Did you buy a seal and if so where? Did you install it or have it installed? How and/or how much?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts