SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening!

I have found myself charged with selling my father in law's 1998 Volvo S70 T5 Manual. Apparently it has the high pressure turbo, police pack and rally kit options. Or at least that's what my father in law has told me.

The engine was even replaced, at the Volvo dealership 2 years ago with one that allegedly had only 2000 kms on it. I have the invoice from the dealer and everything.

It's a Quebec car, and has been it's whole life, so the body is not exactly pristine, however it does run like a dream.

I'm way out of my element here as I've only driven VW and Audi cars for the last 25 years so I was hoping some of you experts could guide me in the right direction.

What do you think this is worth? I see local ads for various S70s ranging from 500$ to 5500$... Pretty wide spread. None of the examples I have found are manual transmission, which I can only assume is more desirable, right?

I apologize in advance if this post violates any of your forum rules, if so I will delete this post haste!

Pics here: https://imgur.com/a/aSbRkc8

Thanks!

·
Registered
961 Posts
Im not the resident expert on values. I have 2 S70's but they are both automatic. I think the manual tranny in that color is rare. However those are not T5 wheels and the body is rough. I would estimate the value at 1600.00 US dollars. You should buy it and fix the body issues. Maybe you can get a friends and family discount.

·
Registered
16,824 Posts
That’s coral red, I think. If it’s a t5, where is the badge on the back? You send a vin and someone here can tell you what it really is. It would have to have some decent records on maintenance to be worth that. Sorry, not trying to devalue, but cleaned up and small repairs (like the missing fog) will go a long way.

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
Interesting car - SE seats and door cars but no power seat and the base radio. I don't see miles indicated in your post but I'd be thinking a couple grand US +/-, depends a lot on what work needs to be done.

·
Registered
17,305 Posts
Look up it’s book value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
That's probably a $1500 car.
Worth vs actually paying are different things.

Worth at MOST $1,500, mainly due to T5 motor and manual trans, but could easily decrease based on actual mileage, maintenance records and driving condition.

What I would actually pay, is a whole different matter. Maybe $500-$850, mainly due to level of rust, no power seats, base audio system and climate controls, sagging rear suspension, general paint condition and knowing that I would have to spend at least $500-750 in parts to get this to stage 0 to enjoy.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Weird car, weird color and it's a sedan not a wagon!
Not worth a whole lot...(IMO of course, but what do I know :rolleyes:)...

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Not coral red, that's either ruby red (414) or regent red (418), faded. The door jambs are bright, much more likely ruby. Here's my dad's regent red C70:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys,

First and foremost, thanks for all the responses!

I've done a bit more research as well on my end...

The VIN is: YV1LS5349W2445413
The model according to the local dealer is: S70T5M
The colour according to the local dealer is: COR_RED
Delivery date was August 29, 1997
The car was originally owned by my father in law's brother, who then gave it to my father in law. All of the stuff (wheels, seats, etc) are original. Maybe the Canadian market S70s came with some different trims?
The back is sagging in those pictures because the winter tires and wheels are all loaded in the back.
And finally, I have maintenance records dating back to the original purchase in 1997, including the invoice for the engine replacement at the dealer in 2017.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Well look at how wrong I was. Hehe.

·
Registered
1998 V70 T5 with factory m56h; 18t, Green injectors, 50% e85
2,436 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Also the rear of that car is wayyyyy too low, something is blown

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
1998 S70T5 - YV1LS5349W2445413 - MONTREAL.jpg

A T5M with a clean record, but rough car.
A lot depends on how well its been maintained, which I have to wonder about, given the general look.
Maybe a grand USD.

·
Registered
637 Posts
The records and the fact that it's a manual might help sell it to the right person but the condition of the body is going to be a major obstacle. If I were selling it I'd be thrilled to get anything over $1K.

If you do list it you might want to take some pictures with the rear end at a regular height, as you've witnessed here potential buyers will probably beat you up about it if you use those pictures again. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Agree with other posters on price and pics without the back end sagging. $1k to $1.5k seems about right if *all* the mechanicals are in excellent shape. The knowledgeable buyer who can ignore the appearance will grab it at that price.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The only good thing about this car is the manual shifter mated with a turbo engine. We don't know if the clutch has ever been replaced, it should have when the engine was replaced. I assume that the odometer is around 300,00Km (200K miles) given that the reading in 2008 was 200,000Km. The front bumper needs to be repainted, a fog light put back in, and the right turn signal replaced. The headlights probably need to be replaced if driven after sunset. New tires soon.

It is worth about $1,000 US, $1500 Cdn. It will take another $1500 to make it look better, drive better. Add $1500 for a new clutch.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts