SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this on another forum.What do you think?<P>let me begin by saying i am a drag racer thru and thru. i have always owned and modified hi-perf cars. my 2001 C5 has been an absolute joy to modify and race both on track and the street. i look for every opportunity to safely drag race others. well, tonight, i was on a local freeway here just west of Portland, Or, (freeway 26) heading back into town. this freeway is an excellent place for a highspeed assault because it is straight and becomes a lightly traveled rd as you head towards beach. so, as i am heading back into town i notice a very shiney Bright Yellow Ferrari coming down an on ramp to the freeway, heading the other way out of town. i was way over in the left lane, so, i checked around me and shot over to the off ramp, got off the drove over the freeway and got back on heading west, after this most prestine prey!! goddam the adrenaline was pumping like mad already and i havent even caught up to him yet!! so start my usual ceremonious routine of turning on the nitrous bottle opener, checking the pressure, getting all switches in right position, charging the line. DAM, the bottle was only at 900 psi, since i have only been in my car ~ 10min. oh well, i was pumped to the gills anyway!! so, i drive like a bat out of hell. im drving and driving, but couldnt find him!! i started getting bummed thinking he got off somewhere. i drove what seemed like 20 miles!! i was clipping along at 90mph, too. finally, i see ahead the unmistakable rear brake lights of an F360 Modena convertible (spyder)!! goddam it was so ****in beautiful! ive seen a lot of pics of them, even saw one at a car show last year. but it is a whole nother story when it is on the road! i was starting to shake from the adrenaline!! i was thinking that it would be my luck that it be some old ******* that wont want to race. i finally catch up to him. he was in the fast lane so i pulled up to him on his right, looked over to see it was 2 gentlemen, ~ my age (mid 30's- where do these guys get their $$$?!?!). i clutch so i could rev the motor. i revved my car, he revved his. dam is sounded so good. i was almost afraid to race out of shear respect for his beautiful car. the passenger rolls down his window, so, i let off thinking he wanted to shout something. i roll down my window, and as soon as the passenger starts to lean his head out the driver punches it. almost snapped the poor dudes neck!! of course with the racers blood in me, i got immediately pumped. IT'S ON!!!! he's flyin, i mean really flyin!! but before i could even think he jumps about 5 lengths. what a sight and sound. beautiful. anyway, i slam into 3rd and punch it. no nitrous yet. i wanna see what i can do against this goomba-made italian beauty before humuliating his $260K car. well, let me say this, i wasnt going to catch up to him any time real soon!! it seemed as if i wasnt making up the distance at all, in fact. we were dead on same rate of increase, except he was 5-7 cars ahead. well, i knew it was time to get it on. armed the nitrous, and since i was WOT, it kicked in immediately. AHHHHH! this is all my cause needed!! i caught up to this guy in about 5 seconds!! i blew by him at about 160. what a feeling!! i wish i could have seen their faces right then. after i got a few in front of him i let off the gas (nitrous turned off) thinking he was done. NO WAY!! he kept on coming!! this was turning into a high speed land record!! peddle back to floor!! nitrous kicks back in!! IT'S ON, AGAIN!! this time i dont let off or look back AT ALL!!! all the way to a new high speed record for me.... 217 mph as indicated on my HUD in the windshield!! he was about 15+ lengths behind be at this point. this is where i let off. GODDAM is that fast!! too fast for dusk, too!! well, as soon as an exit came up, i got off because i needed to turn around. they followed me off. at the top of the ramp i pulled off and shut down as he did the same. turns out to be a cool dude named Hoyt (who names their kids hoyt!?) with a thick accent. real nice. we looked at eachothers cars. he was very impressed with my performance. he kept staring at mine, i kept staring at his. i even proposed an even trade!! he just smiled. his car was just so dam beautiful. especially under the hood. he said he was interested in nitrous and wanted me to install it!! i gave him my #. i drove home. wow!! what a race. i doubt anything like that will ever happen again. i highly recommend it!! and dont worry about the cops. do you think they would even try to catch up to two high end cars doing 200+?!! LATER!! <BR>

·
Registered
40 Posts
Doubtful.It's obviously highy illegal to street race in the first place no matter how deserted the roads are.If it was at a track with number's to back it up,Maybe.American versus Italian, I would go with the Ferrari.Ferrari's are perhap's the best engineered vehicles built in the world that's why there extremely pricey.But you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
408 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jesse850GLT:<BR><B>...and dont worry about the cops. do you think they would even try to catch up to two high end cars doing 200+?!! LATER!! </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I wouldn't worry about a cop. I would worry about all his friends a radios distance away.<BR><P>

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I'm going to have to call BS on that entire story. The top speed of the Ferrari 360 Spyder is only (I use the word "only" in exotic supercar context) 175mph accodring to Car & Driver.<P>As far the Corvette, I believe the LS1 Corvettes had a 3.45 rear end and a 6th gear ratio of 0.62, which calculates to a top speed of less than 200mph. And that's before factoring in the aerodynamics of the car.<P>Nitrous will not increase your top speed like it did in that friggin movie, it will only help you get there faster.<P><BR>Now, in a 1/4 mile drag between a nitrous-boosted LS1 and a stock Ferrari, I'm always going to pick the LS1 to win, even if it's only running a mild 75- or 100-shot. I don't doubt the fact that the Vette could have pulled past the Ferrari after the nitrous was activated (remember the Ferrari, although technologically advanced, is low-displacement and still doesn't have that much torque). <P><BR>I do think his 217mph speed was complete BS though. As was the story most likely. You could put me behind the wheel of a McLaren F1 and I still wouldn't have the balls to get close to 200mph on any public road.<P>

·
Registered
353 Posts
It's total BS<BR>My home is in oregon, the highway that he's talking about only has one stretch that's two lanes each way that would allow for those kinds of speeds.<BR>Also, he would have been caught by the PO since they were heading right for the metro area.<P>Oh, also, there isn't an overpass within 45 miles from where he was talking about, and it's been raining for the past 2 months (very unseasonable) I wouldn't F#ck around at 100+ in drag radials in the rain, would you?<P>What a jackass<BR>David<BR>850 T-5R Sedan <p>[This message has been edited by fhdt5r (edited 01-13-2002).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts