SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been focusing on the Momentum, mainly because it's the least expensive option. On the build & price, I came up with $55805 (Momentum +, wheels, and Convenience). Then, just for the heck of it, I built the R-Design and ended up at $57,155 (just Convenience). That's only a $1350 difference!

For you R-Design experts out there, how do the seats compare to the Momentum? I thought the Momentum seats were REALLY comfortable, and I'm not sure if the contour seats would feel too tight/restrictive.

Also, does anyone know how the Electric Silver Metallic differs from the Bright Silver Metallic on the Momentum? I can't imagine it could be too much different. I was leaning towards Black/Amber for the Momentum...but I'm afraid the R-Design in Black/Charcoal will just be too much black for me.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
416 Posts
I was never a silver fan but I love Electric Silver. It's a coarse metallic with a blue tint to it, it's very rich looking.

The only aspect of the R-Design that I'm not crazy about is the black accents on the rims.

·
Registered
478 Posts
The R-Design seats are really good, slightly better than the Momentum, but not quite as good as Inscription seats, IMO. That said, any of the Volvo seats are really great, and you would probably be happy in any of them.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
For you R-Design experts out there, how do the seats compare to the Momentum? I thought the Momentum seats were REALLY comfortable, and I'm not sure if the contour seats would feel too tight/restrictive.
Two different types, apples to oranges. R-design seats are a bit firmer and hug your body. Both are good, just in different ways.

Also, does anyone know how the Electric Silver Metallic differs from the Bright Silver Metallic on the Momentum? I can't imagine it could be too much different. I was leaning towards Black/Amber for the Momentum...but I'm afraid the R-Design in Black/Charcoal will just be too much black for me.

Thoughts?
Electric Silver is almost like a pewter, smoky silver. Bright Silver is just a pure, bright silver without any other color hues infused in it (Electric Silver has a little blue in it, as mentioned by someone else above).

·
Registered
440 Posts
Great design, color choices, and interior. A miss by not offering a more sporty suspension upgrade.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I love my R-Design in Osmium Grey. It has a nice luster and the more sporty front and wheels really make the vehicle pop. No real difference in the engine, although the paddle shifting is a big plus. I love having more control over the vehicle and use that function quite a bit. Seats are amazing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I too absolutely love our Osmium Grey R-Design. The seats really are wonderful, and the paddle shifters are a definite plus being very handy at times. Was a little concerned initially about the full charcoal interior being to dark, but after taking delivery all fears were erased. The exterior 'sporty' R-D design elements are subtle, but noticeable enough to set it apart from the Momentums in a very cool way. Couldn't be happier with it and the large moon-roof lets in plenty of extra light to keep things feeling nice and open!

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
If I were you, I'd save the money on the R/Design cosmetic package and either get upgraded wheels, premium sound or the vision package. I just think your money is better spent on features, not cosmetic badging, etc.

We also own a 13 XC60 R-Design. It was not only a cosmetic upgrade, but also had a different tune on the engine. Bumped 25 bhp or so up from the normal T6.
I see why some people like it - I just think the money is better spent elsewhere to get a better experience.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
No seat option is the only thing stops me for R-Design.
If Momentum seat (amber contour nappa) could be offered for R-Design then it is perfect.
And I like the bursting blue a lot, which is only available on R-Design.

·
Registered
559 Posts
If I were you, I'd save the money on the R/Design cosmetic package and either get upgraded wheels, premium sound or the vision package. I just think your money is better spent on features, not cosmetic badging, etc.

We also own a 13 XC60 R-Design. It was not only a cosmetic upgrade, but also had a different tune on the engine. Bumped 25 bhp or so up from the normal T6.
I see why some people like it - I just think the money is better spent elsewhere to get a better experience.
I would second this. If I were you, I'd strongly consider the Mom+ along with the vision package which includes the cross-traffic alert and most importantly, the 360 degree camera options. Will make this massive beast much easier to maneuver and park in tight spaces.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
My opinion for packages:
Get convenience pkg by all means, even if you only go for basic Momentum trim, for ACC and Pilot Assist. ACC is almost like City Safety on highway, and don't forget Volvo is investigating if possible to upgrade it to Pilot Assist at 80mph.
Of course, Momentum+ is next must have, for the Thor light and bending headlight and automatic high beam.
Vision pkg is next, for BLIS and good view at parking.
HUD, Climate, B&W, Air Suspension, all up to your own interest.

Different trims have different level of luxury. The most noticeable difference is seats, interior and exterior decorations. It is again up to your own plan.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Not 100% in agreement here- at least on value. One of the reasons why I chose the R was for the specific wheel upgrades AND the fact that I have kids who would absolutely ruin inscription seats or lighter colored momentum seats. I found the R package to be a really good value actually (if you consider a wheel upgrade on a momentum for example). I went for 4C AIR, Convenience, Climate. Load Bars & Mud Flaps. Absolutely perfect for what I am doing with it (which includes the Sports & Utility in the acronym SUV).

So again, no right or wrong answer here. I'm not even sure what the wheel package upgrade cost would be on the Momentum, but for me I liked the interior additions, R steering wheel, and I do use the Paddle Shifting and the Manual mode on the Gear Shift / Transmission knob (primarily when using the transmission for breaking going down steeper hills). I am also very happy with the standard sound after driving cars with H&K and B&W packages, and had no need for Vision. It comes down to your requirements.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Not 100% in agreement here- at least on value. One of the reasons why I chose the R was for the specific wheel upgrades AND the fact that I have kids who would absolutely ruin inscription seats or lighter colored momentum seats. I found the R package to be a really good value actually (if you consider a wheel upgrade on a momentum for example). I went for 4C AIR, Convenience, Climate. Load Bars & Mud Flaps. Absolutely perfect for what I am doing with it (which includes the Sports & Utility in the acronym SUV).

So again, no right or wrong answer here. I'm not even sure what the wheel package upgrade cost would be on the Momentum, but for me I liked the interior additions, R steering wheel, and I do use the Paddle Shifting and the Manual mode on the Gear Shift / Transmission knob (primarily when using the transmission for breaking going down steeper hills). I am also very happy with the standard sound after driving cars with H&K and B&W packages, and had no need for Vision. It comes down to your requirements.
U could order Blis stand alone don't have to get full vision.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
487 Posts
I should also mention that I was partial to the flush mounted roof rails you get on the R and the Inscription, just another (albeit small) checkbox for me when comparing to the Momentum.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Don't really care for the rippled double chin. Nor the only-black interior. Nor the lower stance.

I guess that really means R-design not intended for people like me. I'd prefer upgrades under the sheetmetal but w/ out the presentation layer.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The R-Design is a bit of a bolder statement with the front end and the wheels. I personally loved it, but it isn't for everyone. There are a lot of extras built into the R-design and interior touches that really make it all come together. If you want a sportier look and feel, go for it. If you want a more traditional or classic design, then the Mom Plus is a beauty too. You really can't go wrong with either. Personal preference.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have never come across any good photos showing the exterior styling differences between the Inscription and the R-Design. You can read the rundown of what is R-Design specific features, but side by side pictures would be great.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Two things easily visible:
The front grill is all black, horizontal dash lines on R-Design.
The side mirrors is always matte silver on R-Design, not same with body color.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts