SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was bored surfing the web and ran across this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-x6-H4666-H4651-H4656-CRYSTAL-PROJECTOR-HEADLIGHT-H4-/271045574189?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f1b933e2d&vxp=mtr#ht_6725wt_1297

Despite the cheesy LED that makes for pretend HID's I thought it would be pretty slick to have projector lights on my '85 240 as IMO they illuminate better. Has anybody tried?
If you want to be goddy there are the angel eyes! lol... :rolleyes:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/95-97-CHEVY-S10-BLAZER-CRYSTAL-HOUSING-CLEAR-LENS-HALO-HEAD-LIGHTS-LAMPS-H4-BULB-/300770749794?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4607556d62&vxp=mtr

It says for suburban or blazers but it's just a standard fitment of the H4656 right?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Your 85 has quad rectangular headlamps. 4x6 headlamps are larger and are for vehicles with single headlamps...won't work. If you truly are contemplating upgrading your headlamps for illumination reasons, the way to go is with single glass e-code headlamps. They look similar to the large rectangular lamps used here from 86 on but...they produce MUCH better visibility.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your 85 has quad rectangular headlamps. 4x6 headlamps are larger and are for vehicles with single headlamps...won't work. If you truly are contemplating upgrading your headlamps for illumination reasons, the way to go is with single glass e-code headlamps. They look similar to the large rectangular lamps used here from 86 on but...they produce MUCH better visibility.
I got a new headlight from Wal-Mart to replace a blown out lamp and it seems to work much better than what was originally on the car. (new one is a sylvania). The bulb out light stays on though when the headlights are on. Has anybody put HID's on their 240?

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
I got a new headlight from Wal-Mart to replace a blown out lamp and it seems to work much better than what was originally on the car. (new one is a sylvania). The bulb out light stays on though when the headlights are on. Has anybody put HID's on their 240?
HIDs will burn up the bulb receptacles over time.

To get the "Bulb Out" light to go away install an identical new bulb in the other headlight.

George Dill

·
Registered
568 Posts
HID's will do no such thing. They pull LESS power than conventional bulbs. I've run HID's on my 144, 245 and 760 with zero issue. Generally, they pull 35 watts versus the 55 or 60 watts of a conventional low beam. However, I've only run them in all glass e-code assemblies as they do run quite warm.

New conventional sealed beams are bound to burn brighter than 20 year old ones.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts