SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
chucking 264$ in the garbage.
There are many HID kits here on the market but it's impossible to find out who manufactures the ballasts, and most, if not all I could find, were 35w.
Btw, Would I need a BOW Eliminator with a 55w kit too??
It looks like DDM stopped carrying the 55w slims? Weird. Not sure what to say about that. I buy my ballasts from hid50.com but they are $250 (shipped).

There's nothing saying you *need* a proper BOWE harness to run HIDs, and there is no guarantee that something will go wrong if you don't hook one up. All we're saying is that there's a much greater chance something will go wrong without a BOWE, and the cost of fixing the problem is an order of magnitude greater than the cost of prevention.

55w kits draw more current in each pulse, so in theory it would be worse to run a 55w kit than a 35w kit without a BOWE. I'm not sure why one would do either...

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
The 6000K's are now starting to show a little more yellow in the beam with age but to be expected. I've been running them for over a year now.
...somebody tell me that's normal and not a sign of something else? :)
When operating correctly, temperatures above 3500k and below 7300K don't change with age because the capsules are not dyed. I bet if you pull one of the bulbs you'll see red or yellow droplets in the arc envelope. This indicates the tube is running outside it's parameters and could change it's color. I've had HID retrofits for 6 years now and, disregarding the initial "burn in" change, the colors have stayed the same.

I have the error cancellers in a box but have never fitted them.

I've been thinking about using a dedicated wiring harness and re-routing the earthing strap but I think the earthing issue is not as clear cut as I would like.

Could somebody write up a step by step "preferred" installation guide/method with references to any additional equipment which is not part of a HID kit?

Thanks everyone, great input from all :)
I don't know what error cancelers you have but you should probably read through the thread linked to in my signature before installing them. There is a how-to on installing the kit, it's linked to in the sticky at the top of the fourm.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I'd have to agree with Shadow, no guarantees but its a cheap solution that increase the reliability of your ballasts, bulbs and reduce the chance of WWM failure.

I personnaly believe this is one of those areas that you get what you pay for.

@Guru, are you planning on doing a projector retro-fit as well? Otherwise the 55W kit will just be obscene to oncoming traffic with the stock projectors and as kyle said a 35W with proper projectors is literally like night and day.

·
Registered
222 Posts
@slrising, Unfortunately in Europe you can't just tinker with your car as you please so a fully blown-out xenon retrofit with lenses and such is out of the question, anything introduced in to the car has to be ISO norm approved for that car make and model and with TUV certificates... ect. for it to remain road legal, specifications are coded in to the vehicle identification card. for example, I can't fit 19" wheels because they are not approved for my car make and model, not that I would want to btw., and getting anything extra approved would mean tons of paper work and long waiting times.

So, to keep things simple and easily reversible, I've just ordered a 35w slim "digital" HID kit with 5000k discharge bulbs and a pair of BOW cancelers and i'll see how that goes. A friend has had the exact same kit fitted to his V50 for two years now without a problem, and I'll be keeping a pair of H7 halogens in the glove compartment just in case the traffic police start breathing heavily down my neck...

·
Registered
9,124 Posts
Sorry to hear, I definitely understand the reasoning in making "modifying" your car so regulated. I do enjoy the freedom to play with my cars like a paint canvas, however some of the mods I see other people do are very unsafe and in that case should definitely not be on the road.

We technically arent legally allowed to alter our lights either. But even if a qualified inspector looked at my car theres no way they could tell they were aftermarket since they are factory components just retrofitted to the vehicle :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
@Theshadow, reading through your wonderful posts about low beam conversion and HID bulb-out-warning fix how-to made me put my HID kit order on hold because I just found out that I have ordered the exact same "not up to the job" BOW eliminators that Kyle had and which he sent to you for a pathological dissection and analysis of organs to determine the cause of their death. :confused:

So, other than building one's own BOW canceler, I double Jason's Q, is there a place to order a BOW canceler from? BOWs which have up-to-the-job caps and rectifiers??

And what about buying an independent battery harness for the kit? would that make a difference and add further protection?

Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
It looks like DDM stopped carrying the 55w slims? Weird. Not sure what to say about that. I buy my ballasts from hid50.com but they are $250 (shipped).
DDM Tuning is getting out of the HID business and apparently moving towards LEDs.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1583933

"....A lot of the products we sell now, we are not going to be selling anymore. Some things we sell we will sell a lot more of and most surprising of all, we are going to move out of HID and a lot of other lighting products within the next several weeks. By the time we get to March 1st which is Apexcone's 10th anniversary, we will be doing something mostly different. - Jim aka owner of DDM"

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
That's a shame about DDM - I guess we'll need to find a new supplier of $30 HIDs. Hopefully the've saturated the market sufficiently to allow the price to remain down.

As for where to buy an appropriate unit... Well, that's an issue at the moment. The company which was slated to start production of an P1 BOWE, Sensolutions, backed out about 6 months ago. I'm not entirely sure why, it could be that there wasn't enough interest at the time. It couldn't hurt to drop them a note asking about the status of the BOWE, but I get the feeling that they're out of the game.

That leaves DIY. Y'all know where the do-it-yourself guide is. I would offer to do another batch but it really doesn't make sense to do less than 5 because shipping from the supplier is $40 or so, and last time I had 7 people say they wanted one and 3 ended up paying, which is annoying because I sold them for cost and was in the hole $250 for months until the others were picked up one by one. If there's serious interest I'll think about it...

And what about buying an independent battery harness for the kit? would that make a difference and add further protection?
Nothing wrong with battery harness, someone (Ion?) has been running this for a while. Only issue is the "Bulb failure" message which would drive me nuts. This would actually be the best solution if not for the warning message.

·
Registered
9,124 Posts
I couldn't live with the message. That says to me I didn't do the job as best I could have haha.

Doesn't surprise me DDM is dumping China built hids. My buddies at 2020 stopped selling them because they got tired of constantly replacing them for free under the parts warranty which doesn't cover their labor to mess with them all the time. They are cheap quality.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thanks for the replies people.

Theshadow, in my case, It's not only the shipping costs and such, I don't think I'll be ordering anything from the US any time soon now, regulations and procedures for receiving any goods from the US are sooo complicated, I have just received a notice from the customs office that my poor rear anti-SW from Elevate is being held in a cold and damp customs office 160 miles from where I live! and that I should come and collect it in person after paying custom dues, they refuse to send it an inch closer :mad: so sometime during the coming week I'll be making a 320 mile round trip just to collect a steel bar! :(

I know this concerns only me, but I just had to ventilate, that's all... getting a RSW is complicated, getting a decent set of HIDs is complicated, getting them to work properly is more than complicated, finding the correct harness to hook up a Parrot MKi9200 is next to impossible... f*ck this, I'm taking up knitting instead.

·
Registered
9,124 Posts
Haha sorry to hear ur having such issues. There's tons of focus performance parts online stores like pumaspeed where u could pick up some parts without ordering from the states.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
regulations and procedures for receiving any goods from the US are sooo complicated
I bet if you had a Volga instead of a Volvo you wouldn't have trouble finding parts... Blame the communists.

·
Registered
222 Posts
@Kyle, I'm aware of that web site and of the focus scene in Europe, but with a 2.0D under the hood, there are only a few common suspension parts and such, but thanks anyway, I appreciate it.

I bet if you had a Volga instead of a Volvo you wouldn't have trouble finding parts... Blame the communists.
lol, communism has long gone, it's a capitalist open market here now, and it has been so for the last 20 years or so, anything coming in to the EU has to go through customs, not just to Slovakia.
Btw., the russian Volga was never that abundant here in central Europe, these people built Tatra and Skoda along with the Czechs ... then the Germans came along, bought the Skoda factory and Skodas became cheaper VW, Tatra hit the dust, but even so, Skoda is still considered the patriotic set of wheels, so no trouble what so ever finding any parts, new or old, for that make.

Back on topic, I ordered 2 BOW eliminators today for H7 HID kits code named HID-elim :confused: , once I get them I'll try to dismantle the casing and take a peek inside the shell before hooking them up to my car along with the HIDs. I'll take and upload a photo if the the shell can be dismantled without damage.
Oh, and I called a friend today who has a friend who knows a person in high places... The result> the R anti-SW will be shipped right to my doorstep next week :cool: so no 320 mile round trip for that cause.

·
Registered
9,124 Posts
Oh right, I totally didnt think about that. Should have guessed that, since theres no diesels in the states doesnt generally cross my mind.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Thanks to theshadow for the BOWE, I installed it today and everything seems to be working with 35w DDMs.

Unlike that other thread, I did not find the E46 projectors to be a direct drop in. However he used the BiXenon and I have the lowbeam only ones. Instead I used a set of bixenon E55s which went in with minimal modification to the projector. No modification of the headlight was necessary.

Now that I have everything working there are a few issues that I still need to sort out. The back covers to the lights no longer fit and I'm not sure how I should secure the ballasts. Also how have you sealed the headlight back up without the rear cap?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Thanks to theshadow for the BOWE, I installed it today and everything seems to be working with 35w DDMs.
Good to hear!

Now that I have everything working there are a few issues that I still need to sort out. The back covers to the lights no longer fit and I'm not sure how I should secure the ballasts. Also how have you sealed the headlight back up without the rear cap?
You have to drill a hole in the back cover for the power and HV wires, and use a grommet to seal the hole. Aftermarket bulbs come with this grommet but with a retrofit you probably have to do it yourself. The grommet looks something like this (random hijacked picture):

·
Registered
222 Posts
So my HID set arrived today, still waiting for the BOWEs.
Out of curiosity I opened up one of the ballasts to see how it looked like inside, does this look like a quality build? :confused: This is a 90$ kit on sale claiming to be digital, orig. price was 160$ ... Your thoughts please:

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
That's a standard 4th gen knockoff from China. Exactly the same inside as the $40 DDM kits (which they no longer sell :() Since you broke the adhesion, make sure to put more heatsink compound on the thermal transfer pad before you seal it back up.

It is digital meaning that the ballast controls current through the bulb using a microprocessor. Digital does not mean that it talks to the car in any way, or that it is better for the car than an analog ballast. It's like saying you have a HDTV instead of an analog CRT TV - regardless of the TV technology, it doesn't change how a standard SD channel is displayed.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.