SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:facepalm:

Installing the SNABB intake spacer the brittle plastic valve cover vent tube that goes to a pump under the manifold broke. I took it for a test drive after buttoning everything else up and put a clean piece of paper towel to see how much oil/vapor are being vented out the valve cover out that tube.

No issues at all, the paper towel looks unused/not dirty...I don't want to rip the intake off again to replace that crappy tube for another one that will get hard and brittle later. Could I just undo the clamp that holds it on the valve cover and just toss a Auto Zone job small air cleaner and then block of the supply side the that pump under the manifold which I can get to easily without taking off the manifold again.

It isn't causing any problems driving wise, not effecting power or stability of idling at all. So was thinking the resolution stated above would/could be a cheap and easy fix, what else would i need to do or can do to either turn off the pump by fuse or something seeing it son't be drawing anything in from that supply line that's broken.

Answers/ideas???

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
"valve cover vent tube that goes to a pump under the manifold"

You mean the hose that runs from the valve cover(next to oil cap) to the black plastic breather box below the manifold??

No you can not leave it open, you need to replace the hose with a new one and make sure it's connected properly. If the hose was that brittle you might want to check the overall conditon of the rest of the PCV breather system like the acutal box and drain ports to block, the hoses running to the manifold and intake, PTC valce, etc....

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...Yeah, that tube...

I can't run any other option or remove it completely. Maybe add a catch can and re run everything going to that and through it?

???

I really don't want to have to remove the manifold at all costs to fix this issue (even though it's running the exact same as if it were there.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Uro, you dont need to remove the manifold, just remove the pipe from the intercooler to the ETM. Then try to do it without ETM remove. In your model, the tube that goes on the crankcase box or called "oil trap" goes on the left side of the box so i know is a bit difficult to access but believe me you can do it.

You will not see a lot of vapor/oil from the tube in just a few min of driving, it will after a few hours and hard accelerations where the engine is producing pressure and need to be directed somewhere.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Darn... looks like it'll be coming off to be replaced. Without the manifold in place it does give me more room but is a pain in the butt to tear it all off because of a dried/brittle plastic tube.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
yes, believe me i replace my oil trap about 3 times and alos the elbow abotu 5 times lol, i learned to do everything even with the ETM in after all that, takes me about 30 min. My advice is, buy a huge beer, somw gloves and start. It will take a few hours but you can do it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have done this in the past. Yes, I used a breather filter at the valve cover and plugged the hole in the intake pipe really well. Never had a problem.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hose/tube for PCV venting will be fixed by way of IPD. Also changing the oil to 0W30 Mobile Synthetic oil and Mahle oil filter, installing a O2 sensor Boss Spacer to turn of CEL. And the car will be back to tip top shape.

(Once I also install the strut bearings in the front and the spring seats {HD} and that will complete the whole 94K mi.'s tune-up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts