SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1241 - 1260 of 2211 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
I am thinking of doing the whole kit and struts (feeling bumps a bit) and I am at 180k. Now, to debate which brand to get....

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I am thinking of doing the whole kit and struts (feeling bumps a bit) and I am at 180k. Now, to debate which brand to get....

Blisten HD seems to be the consensus. I'm at 206k, did the spring seats at 170k. Shoulda just done the whole thing. I think having other worn parts made them go again much faster. I think I'm also going to do all the poly stuff around there from iPd

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?488586-IPD-Upper-Strut-Seat-Pad

**Can check integrity of the seats are by taking off the plastic top hat and giving the top strut nut a wiggle with a wrench (21mm I think). If the nut rotates to any real extent, the seat is broken and needs replaced. Can also shine a light under the large black rubber coated washer, check the interface where the seat mates with the center hollow rod and look for significant separation.**

For Sport/RD struts, there's a new PN and a new helper spring is required, both are listed in VIDA.

·
Registered
819 Posts
If you can swing the cost, absolutely do the whole strut. Even if the struts are still "good enough", at 180k miles there's not much doubt you'll notice a difference. A little while ago I found that eEuroparts is selling a preassembled strut kit for a really good price. Once you consider the price of just the coils and struts it's a really good deal. Add on the fact I don't have to fiddle with spring compressors...

https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/88541/Coil-Spring-Strut-Assembly-Kit-Front-102K10248/

I haven't done a lot of looking into other brands of struts yet, but I'll probably stick with OEM/equivalent. Overall I like the ride on these cars so I'm not looking to change it much.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Blisten HD seems to be the consensus. I'm at 206k, did the spring seats at 170k. Shoulda just done the whole thing. I think having other worn parts made them go again much faster. I think I'm also going to do all the poly stuff around there from iPd

Yeah, just a tad bit cheaper to get Sachs...

·
Registered
819 Posts
For anyone else wondering, FCP's selling a pair of the Bilstein HDs for ~$600 while a pair of the Sachs is $240.

After seeing that I did some quick math and the eEuroparts kit isn't the huge savings I originally thought it was, but I think it's still cheaper overall, and the fact they're assembled is still compelling.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
For anyone else wondering, FCP's selling a pair of the Bilstein HDs for ~$600 while a pair of the Sachs is $240.

After seeing that I did some quick math and the eEuroparts kit isn't the huge savings I originally thought it was, but I think it's still cheaper overall, and the fact they're assembled is still compelling.
Holy cow, that much of a difference? I knew the Blistens were better, but they can't be $360 better.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Please don't waste your time on doing anything other than OE on the Sport/RD. This is the tail end of my "variances", have a set of Sachs 314-125 struts on the Sport I put on last Fall that were supposed to be a direct match for the original AE fronts (also Sachs), they are not (front starts to float a little bit when you punch it and hold it at freeway speeds).

New PN (31304066) for AE strut also has a new bump stop/helper spring (31277953), have a set with all new hardware in my garage, will be replaced as soon a I can get to it. I have yet to decide what to do with the Sachs struts, will either sell them outright (super clean, maybe 5k miles on them) or put on the '05 in a year or two.

I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that trying to replace components on the Sport/RD suspension with anything other than OE is a waste of time (and money).

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Please don't waste your time on doing anything other than OE on the Sport/RD. This is the tail end of my "variances", have a set of Sachs 314-125 struts on the Sport I put on last Fall that were supposed to be a direct match for the original AE fronts (also Sachs), they are not (front starts to float a little bit when you punch it and hold it at freeway speeds).

New PN (31304066) for AE strut also has a new bump stock (31277953), have a set with all new hardware in my garage, will be replace as soon a I can get to it. I have yet to decide what to do with the Sachs struts, will either sell them outright (super clean, maybe 5k miles on them) or put on the '05 in a year or two.

I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that trying to replace components on the Sport/RD suspension with anything other than OE is a waste of time (and money).
So do you think the Blistens would work on the Sport? I'm not particularly in love with the OE ones, looking for something stiffer.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Dunno, certainly someone else has them on their car and can comment.

Me, I like how the Sport/RD handles on OE when everything is new and tight, hunkers down on decent G curves and feels super solid. I also know what it feels like when things are not working well (can see my previous posts, at this point literally every moving component on the front end of the Sport has been replaced, including the steering rack) so have a perspective.

Can't stand it when the car is not handling right.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
made a video
Love it, and I think I recognize that road from your earlier muffler delete video circa 2015. What are the main differences between your earlier setup (Borla XR-1 in place of the resonator with muffler deleted) and this, as far as drone and driving enjoyment? :p

·
Registered
819 Posts
Maybe we should open a wheel thread with pictures OEM and aftermarket wheels on their car. Then anyone who's thinking of buying a particular style or size (or painting them, maybe), can get an idea of what to expect. Wheels are such a popular topic and it'd be cool to have a sort of catalog to flip through. It'd also be nice to see all of the OEM wheels that were available.

On a separate topic, I recently came into possession of 10 × 6mm brass acorn nuts recently that I'm not going to use. They fit the studs on our license plate brackets, though you'll need one or two washers behind the license plate as they're not quite deep enough. If you want a better look at them, you can check out this eBay listing. First one to PM me with an address in the contiguous US that wants them, they're yours.

On another this-time-related note, don't buy stainless steel acorn nuts for your license plate. They'll form a lovely patina of rust in just a few months unless you live somewhere that doesn't have...moisture. I've gone through a couple of sets because apparently I sometimes have a hard time learning lessons, or maybe just have a terrible memory. Chrome ones are on the way and hopefully that'll be the end of it.

Edit: nuts are claimed.

·
Super Moderator
8,510 Posts
Maybe we should open a wheel thread with pictures OEM and aftermarket wheels on their car. Then anyone who's thinking of buying a particular style or size (or painting them, maybe), can get an idea of what to expect. Wheels are such a popular topic and it'd be cool to have a sort of catalog to flip through. It'd also be nice to see all of the OEM wheels that were available.

On a separate topic, I recently came into possession of 10 × 6mm brass acorn nuts recently that I'm not going to use. They fit the studs on our license plate brackets, though you'll need one or two washers behind the license plate as they're not quite deep enough. If you want a better look at them, you can check out this eBay listing. First one to PM me with an address in the contiguous US that wants them, they're yours.

On another this-time-related note, don't buy stainless steel acorn nuts for your license plate. They'll form a lovely patina of rust in just a few months unless you live somewhere that doesn't have...moisture. I've gone through a couple of sets because apparently I sometimes have a hard time learning lessons, or maybe just have a terrible memory. Chrome ones are on the way and hopefully that'll be the end of it.
That sort of exists in the R forum. Don't think I've seen a thread like that created in the XC90 forum. If we can create something of substance, I can add it to the main how-to thread for reference.

Also, I sent you a PM.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Worked with a local custom audio shop to bring my infotainment system up to date. Plan on keeping Sven for a while, so figured it was worth the investment. Love it so far, but still have to go through the calibration to get the reverse camera guidelines to show.

Everything is still functional, including the steering wheel controls and reverse sensors (albeit they are much quieter than before).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yeah that looks really neat!

·
Registered
947 Posts
Setting up the lines is pretty easy, just work your way through the Pioneer's menu.

Did they use InCarTech's can bus modules?

1241 - 1260 of 2211 Posts