SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

41 - 60 of 2211 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Is that an S60 or S80 next to your 90? Beautiful red! What did you clean the engine with?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Thanks man! it requires a lot of work to keep it looking good though, that's my S60RD, the XC is the wife's ride... I use Chemical Guys orange degreaser + Meguiars protectant wipes afterwards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Would SeaFoam work the same way? Or is yours a wipe-on? I'm good about my interior, and exterior, but my engine compartment is REALLY dirty.

·
Registered
253 Posts
It is a spray on, like a windex or pledge bottle.

I think any over the counter at your local store degreaser would work nicely, just spray it over the engine, scrub with a soft brush and let it soak. Afterwards rinse the engine with a hose (not a pressure washer).Do this only when the engine is cool to touch. Later on you can apply a plastic protector like Armor All, Meguiars, etc.

Seafoam engine cleaner is for the internals of the engine, introduced through the engine vaccum lines to remove carbon deposits. Not for the plastic trim on the outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I figured as much on the SeaFoam, but people have used it to unstick rusted bolts so it might work for really dirty engines. The angle gear problem was from power washing, which forced water where it shouldn't have been. I think a simple, very low pressure, rinse would be no different from driving in rain.

·
Administrator
55,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
parts for the interior trim refresh arrived: 2014 R-Design aluminum inserts, fresh boot, knob and sport steering wheel.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I think I found your broken part!!! LOL good luck man!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Changed my oil 1,500 miles early. It was looking really, really dark. Winter comes around and for some reason my oil doesn't last as long :D Something to do with turning DSTC off... Also tightened up my passenger door. It had a rattle right near the lock rod. Turned out to be the clip that holds that corner in place. So I added a bit of foam and voila! Rattle gone! Now I can listen to my music without driving myself nuts!

·
Administrator
55,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
swapped the interior aluminum trim this evening. Its amazing what you'll will find underneath the cup holder! If you have some funky smells it might be worth looking there, haha! :)

I still have the shift knob and boot on my list to refresh. The install is fairly straight forward, remove two torx screws on the glove box and gently pull; there are six torx screws holding the top of the center console down. Hardest part was squeezing the plastic hinge nuts that hold the cup holder cover/lid ... and cleaning up the nasty food and crap that fell under the lid. :(

2007 (top) vs 2014 (bottom) aluminum trim:

·
Registered
219 Posts
I finally found a reasonably priced xc90 R instrument cluster at a salvage yard, 150.00 shipped to my door arrived this afternoon- for anyone that is curious, this swap into my 08 "Sport Refresh" project (I've decided to add every factory sport option now that there are 0 mechanical issues or maintenance items left- the original to R instrument cluster option took all of about 15 minutes to remove and replace. Worked flawlessly and the look of the dials is really a very nice touch. I Had a V70 R for a while back in the day and this cluster seems better somehow, not sure but it looks like the led vs older incandescent lighting makes the difference. Highly recommend the mod if you come across a compatible cluster. The R steering rack is on its way, 19" vulcans and latitude 25/50/19's and the front and rear suspension goodies are on, then it's on to ordering the aluminum interior trim in lieu of the wood, install the R steering wheel I already have and she's be done.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I finally found a reasonably priced xc90 R instrument cluster at a salvage yard, 150.00 shipped to my door arrived this afternoon- for anyone that is curious, this swap into my 08 "Sport Refresh" project (I've decided to add every factory sport option now that there are 0 mechanical issues or maintenance items left- the original to R instrument cluster option took all of about 15 minutes to remove and replace. Worked flawlessly and the look of the dials is really a very nice touch.
What year is this cluster? And what Model Year car did you put it in?

Did you not have to program the DIM to match the original mileage of your car to this cluster? If you did, how did you do that?

·
Registered
219 Posts
What year is this cluster? And what Model Year car did you put it in?

Did you not have to program the DIM to match the original mileage of your car to this cluster? If you did, how did you do that?
it's a 2010 V8 cluster into a 2008 V8 no programming required picked up the miles temp and fuel I believe it's stored in a secondary location in another ECM to prevent simple swaps for roll-back - there is only one plug on the back it's a really easy swap

·
Registered
810 Posts
I dig the aluminum trim... the woodgrain in ours is cracked (including the steering wheel). Is there a decent place to source used replacement parts or did you just order them new from Tasca or similar?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I dig the aluminum trim... the woodgrain in ours is cracked (including the steering wheel). Is there a decent place to source used replacement parts or did you just order them new from Tasca or similar?
Actually I just Pm'd Chris for the pN's looks like about 150 plus shipping for the front trim from just about any online OEM source, there are a couple of panels in the back. here are the pN's for the front ( Thanks Chris)
*2014 VOLVO XC90*
SHIFT PLATE - 1287717
CUP HOLDER LID - 1287716
Glove box - TRIM MOLDING - 31332257

I have an R leather wheel yet to install if you want to stick with the wood I'll have one that's in perfect condition- no nav.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Perfect, thanks for passing those along.

I'm not sold on the wood wheel, but if I lose that battle with the wife (she likes it and it is her car) I may be interested if it's out of a black interior car.

41 - 60 of 2211 Posts