SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
2681 - 2700 of 2738 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well it wasn’t “exactly” today as it was Christmas Eve. But we took down a deer at freeway speeds with our 04. Thankfully no one was hurt and we made it to our destination. The hit caused a coolant leak on the XC90 as well as the other damage you can see. Currently waiting to hear back from insurance. And spending that time looking at v8 XC90s.
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side-view mirror Vehicle

·
Registered
08V8XC90Sport, 06V8XC90OceanRace
3,462 Posts
Referring to post 2,611 What did you do with your XC90 today? | Page 131 | SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum having been driven in the wet and now snow and ice, the Bridgestone Alenza AS Ultra are getting two thumbs up from the daily driver. I'm happy with the Dueler/Alenza line overall, comparable price and no issues to report over three XC90s and 10 years of driving. I'm sure there are better tires out there, these do fine for me.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Totaled, and still made it home. Impressive!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Motor vehicle Flight instruments Aircraft Vehicle Cockpit

Wood Motor vehicle Floor Flooring Bumper

Vehicle Motor vehicle Gas Fence Armrest

Deep clean reaching the end. Just the carpets removed, 1st and 2nd row seat belts, passenger seat and lots of trim to clean now.

Pretty good interior to pull apart really, although I haven't been in door trims yet.

3rd row seating and associated trim wasn't much fun though, especially on my own.

Bissell spotclean turbo has been a good investment, plus spinning carpet brush for power drill.

·
Registered
85 Posts
winter storm special on new year's day. Was able to verify that the AWD system is still working on my XC90. Not a bad decision to spend that money on fixing the driveshaft cv joint (I was thinking of just removing the driveshaft when the cv joint went bad last time) I am very impressed with this truck on slick roads, it's very stable and always goes straight. It must be the weight and I'm just using regular all season tires.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Received a second "kit" for the emergency brake adjuster.

PN 30793437 for the adjusters (need two) and PN 31445339 for the spring kit (need one).

Got a write-up somewhere around and I think there are a few videos out on this. Did the Ocean Race last year as part of the cleanup but never got around to the Sport. Adjuster replaces the H-link.

This kit pretty much eliminates having to doink around with that PITA e-brake adjuster in the tunnel. To adjust you take a rear wheel off, turn the hub until you can see the adjuster through a wheel bolt hole then use a flat blade screwdriver to make the adjustment. Easy peasy.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yup mine's been installed but not adjusted for a year, but my brakes are toast so planning on doing the adjustment when I replace the rotors, pads and calipers come spring. Most aftermarket kits for the car seem to come with the adjuster instead of the h link.

·
Registered
2005 XC90 2.5T AWD, 219k miles
333 Posts
I still need to adjust mine, the parking brake only holds on slight inclines. If I’d known how much a pain the actual adjustment was I would have done it at the hub when I rebuilt them! The only other vehicle I rebuilt parking brakes on (1964 Mustang) self adjusted when reversing.

Weather looks good this weekend, I might finally get around to it then.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Nice Looking Sport.

Mileage at purchase, what work has been done to date? Check your 3-way washer "tee" if you don't know it's already been replaced (same message for anyone new to a V8).

All the best!

Wood Hardwood Auto part Wood stain Varnish

·
Registered
48 Posts
Nice Looking Sport.

Mileage at purchase, what work has been done to date? Check your 3-way washer "tee" if you don't know it's already been replaced (same message for anyone new to a V8).

All the best!

View attachment 143373
Thanks!
It was just shy of 150,000 when we got it. It rolled to that on the long drive home.
The only service I really know it has had is front brake hose(s) and rear brake caliper(s) thanks to my carfax. That was summer 2020 and about 20,000 miles ago. Too bad all the other entries are vague like “service completed”

thanks for the warning on the Tee. Can you give me a heads up in where that’s located? Or is it pretty easy to spot?
thanks!

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
It's right under the passenger side washer nozzle. I saw a post back a few years ago from a tech who swore that the majority of premature alternator failures he had seen were due to the cap breaking and washer fluid being sprayed straight down in the alternator area. Previous photo is from the Sport, the Ocean Race cap was "whole" but you could see some blue washer fluid dye around the edges so it got replaced as a matter of course (I replaced the washer nozzles as the old ones were looking old). Part numbers probably in this link- washer fluid line broken | SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum . Give the cap a gentle wiggle, the crack in that photo was on the back side. Cap is supposed to be pressed tight (rubber washer and a spring), if it moves at all then it's compromised to some degree. Can do the same for the 2-way but it's the 3-way that gets the repetitive heat.

By 125k, the B8444S motor starts seeping and I'm not sure of many exceptions. Work of interest at your mileage (150k) might have been power steering pump, alternator, starter, and/or various hardened hoses and gaskets (valve cover and/or timing cover). Of special interest to me though is the aux belt. By 150k and 14+ years, the belt plus all the rollers needs replaced. I would suggest this is the most important thing to find out, especially if you think you hear any odd "hollow metallic" sounds coming from the belt path on startup when the engine is cold.

Few folks with V8s on this site and MVS, as you get more familiar with your vehicle you'll find plenty of resources.

All the best in your purchase.

·
Registered
2005 XC90 2.5T AWD, 219k miles
333 Posts
Thanks to @starboard in post #2680, I fixed our driver side folding 2nd row handle. Relatively simple repair complicated by the fact one needs to do some slightly inobvious trimming.

I also replaced our broken glove box handle. The wife is happy

And finally, a job which gives me much peace of mind, I cleaned the cowl. It was actually fairly clean, but I’m glad I did it and it’s one less worry.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Tagging onto the end of this last post. If you live somewhere under a pine tree and don't spend any time on periodic plenum drain inspection/cleanup, you can flood the passenger side in heavy rain to a point where it'll overflow the old and hardened gasketed air intake cowl and dump water onto your passenger side floor. While it's possible to also flood the drivers side in the same way, that plenum cover screws down with a gasket whereas the passenger side cowl clips in a once pliable material on the bottom.

See Sunroof Drain Saturday... with picture! with an explanation plus a link for some photos. This was my no sunroof fabric interior 5-seat 5 cylinder '05, the first XC90 that I owned. Always got parked outside and we have a big pine right next to the driveway.

Really smart to open the flap at the bottom of the drain in the photo as well (both side), especially with pine needles as they can progressively clog upwards from the flap. I learned the hard way and check under the screens more often than not when I have the hood popped and a flashlight in my hand.

edit- couple of typos

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Been a while since I’ve been over on the forum. The wife’s 90 doesn’t get driven much but i decided to go ahead a give it a fresh new battery today since I was replacing the one in the VR also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: The_Vermonster
2681 - 2700 of 2738 Posts