SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

2381 - 2400 of 2423 Posts

·
Registered
2005 XC90 2.5T AWD, 219k miles
81 Posts
New front suspension components and rotors/pads on the 2.5T yesterday and today. Hubs/bearings, lower control arms, ball joints… I bought inner/outer tie rods to do “while I was in there” but they old ones were really stuck in there and with everything out of the way I could inspect them properly and they look great —no play and no tears or weather cracking in the boots.

Replacement of the wheel hubs went really quick and I thought I would finish everything in a day, however I really slowed down when removing the ball joints and control arms. Beating those suckers out of the knuckle is tedious with only hand tools.

Reinstalling the first ball joint took 1.5-2 hours. I learned getting the receiving socket clean is critical to installing the new part, that and a good hammer.

Unfortunately for me, when I checked the giant box that the control arms arrived in I only inspected one CA. As it turns out, the control arm I inspected was correct for our car but the other looks like it was meant for a truck. The parts came from Rock Auto, so while the prices were great the customer service is hands off, I may not go this route again. The correct CA will not arrive until Thursday and my wife needs the car for driving to work. I checked some auto parts stores around and buying from them either costs more than we want to spend or has its own shipping issues. I’m going to reinstall the old CA for the week and tear it all out again next weekend. I think I can remove the lower CA without removing the brakes and disconnecting the knuckle. If that can’t be done and I have to disassemble it all, then that’s how it goes.

I was really forward to a joy ride this afternoon with everything done, ah well. Delayed gratification for next weekend.

·
Registered
2005 XC90 2.5T AWD, 219k miles
81 Posts
Wrapped things up today. Installed a new ball joint, the old control arm (drat), new brake pads and rotors. I cleaned the rotors and bled the brake line but they seem soft and the car is slow to stop. I’m hoping this gets better after some miles, if not I will bleed again.

The thumps and clunks when driving over bumps are gone (yes!). I suspect the ball joints fixed that, even though the ones I replaced looked fine. The front wheels still shudder when making full lock and near full lock turns, I was hoping this would be remedied with controls arms, but it must be CV related. The CV splines looked great, as did the boots. Ah well, it’s manageable right now and we are just trying to get another 2-3 years and 15-20,000 miles out of our ownership.

The car will need to get an alignment. All that banging on things to remove parts seems to have jostled the rack enough that the steering wheel wants to sit about 10-15 degrees clockwise when driving straight. There’s no play, it’s just off. I didn’t even notice it for a while because I was so focused on other things (brakes, listening for noises). I may try changing out the tie rod ends again since I’ll be paying for an alignment.

Next weekend will be rear brakes, driver control arm, tie rod ends (maybe), and the timing belt, if time permits.

·
Registered
2009 XC90 V8
316 Posts
Good combo, I've got a matching passion red C30 to go with my XC90!
Awesome! I keep telling myself to stop getting black cars, because they are dirty as soon as they get cleaned. But black is the best color for any car, hands down. Or "shade," for you artists :D

·
Registered
107 Posts
Fixed the key fobs spring mechanism so the key releases like a switchblade. Bought the pieces on ebay. No need to cut the side...can use a fine flathead screwdriver to pry open the halves.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
I replaced a switchblade key in January trying to split a case, transponder glass cracked. Great if it worked for you, I usually cut the original case but crack donors open with a screwdriver (transponder in them does not matter and it gives more surface area to do the re-attach). If you glued it back together, I'll be interested in hearing how long that lasts before the case starts to separate (key flexes and twists when you use it). See this link for some other ways to do the case reassembly, I found that using screws on the case stopped the key flex completely. I sold my '05 in February with a 2 year old repaired keyfob.
Fix a Volvo flip/switchblade key - DIY, pics and advice (matthewsvolvosite.com)

·
Registered
33 Posts
More of a what I want to fix post. One of my side view mirrors has play in it. Not the actual glass delaminating. But there is side to side play where it pivots. These are the type that retract with the button. Has anyone ever taken one of these apart to get to the inside mechanism?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Interested to see what you find. Mine dont have play, but retracting with the button definitely gets the passenger side out of whack
Used mine to tow home a new little brother!

View attachment 126043
Trying to do the same thing! Im a fan of the facelift C30's rear though.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
My sister’s 04 T6 had the tranny crap out. What is the best thing to do? Should they source a new tranny? If so, what year? And can they use something besides that crap Chevy tranny?

Update- getting it rebuilt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Does anyone know the connector number, name, company ANYTHING for the 3rd brake light? It looks close to AMPs MQC connector but i can't find an exact match

·
Registered
2005 XC90 V8, IPD sways and endlinks, currently shod with Pirelli Scorpion Verde
540 Posts
At 104,6XX miles

Valve cover gaskets.
Valve cover grommets.
Intake manifold gaskets.
Fuel pressure sensor.
CVVT solenoid seals.
Power steering hose o-ring.
PCV Valve and (crispy) hoses.
Fuel-injector o-rings.
Serp belt, tensioner and idler pulley's.
Top motor mount.
Expansion tank.
and a Leak Detection Pump to fix the P0455 EVAP code....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Decided to rotate tires today among a few other odds and ends. Discover a broken sway bar end link on passenger side. I drive like a grandma so how did this break?

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
That rear LCA bushing doesn't look quite right....

·
Registered
2004 S60R & 2006 XC90 2.5T Real Volvos have 5 cylinders!!
282 Posts
Performed an atf flush today. Car was at 93k. The old fluid was pretty black coming out. 12qts barely got me to the fresher looking fluid, but thats all I had. Took a quick test drive, and all is well.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Decided to rotate tires today among a few other odds and ends. Discover a broken sway bar end link on passenger side. I drive like a grandma so how did this break?
View attachment 127034
You have something going on there.. that rear bushing is toast and your axle boot has a weird wear pattern on it. Also, that bar looks like it bent before breaking, they should be straight.

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
I've been puzzled over that bend in the link, and just don't see how it could compress enough to collapse. The usual failure mode is the ends wearing out, AFAIK. Maybe a tow truck hooked it with the J-Hook they use to tie cars down with?

·
Registered
2009 XC90 D5 185 R-Design, winter, summer, comms and family packs
142 Posts
Nor been well so not driven mine for a week. Went out and wiped off the guano and put the battery on charge.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I dont know. I've never seen anything like it. This vehicle has been in an unreported front end collision so who knows. I've got replacement links on their way. Ill investigate the bushing a little further when I replace the endlinks.

2381 - 2400 of 2423 Posts