SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

2361 - 2380 of 2423 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
There's an idea! When I did my fuel filter I spent an hour lying in salt water slush trying to free the rusted things. Is there any particular reason to use duct tape? I have some amazing self-vulcanizing silicone tape that would create a good seal.
One very important reason. It's what I had in my garage. lol
The tape the factory used was something like a papery athletic tape. It tore off very easily (but stayed until I was ready to replace the filter). I'm not sure you need an incredible seal as much as you just want to prevent a ton of crap from building up all over/in it. That said, doing even better than the original tape isn't a bad idea. The thing I would avoid is introducing adhesive material into the quick disconnects, that's why I did the sticky side out layer first. The takeaway really is, anything is better than nothing. I had an absolute battle with the filter on my 07 XC70 because it was uncovered and filled with mud/sand/rocks/etc. I ended up having my indy deal with it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
One very important reason. It's what I had in my garage. lol
The tape the factory used was something like a papery athletic tape. It tore off very easily (but stayed until I was ready to replace the filter). I'm not sure you need an incredible seal as much as you just want to prevent a ton of crap from building up all over/in it. That said, doing even better than the original tape isn't a bad idea. The thing I would avoid is introducing adhesive material into the quick disconnects, that's why I did the sticky side out layer first. The takeaway really is, anything is better than nothing. I had an absolute battle with the filter on my 07 XC70 because it was uncovered and filled with mud/sand/rocks/etc. I ended up having my indy deal with it.
Sweet thanks. The "quick disconnects" were definitely not quick for myself either! The silicone tape I have doesn't use adhesive, it just vulcanizes to itself so I imagine that would work well. Only problem I can see is if moisture gets trapped since this stuff is watertight. On the other hand, I might never need to change the fuel filter again within the lifespan of the car anyway 😂

·
Registered
234 Posts
Traded my V8 Sport in for a loaded 2019 CPO XC60 T8 R-Design. I’ll miss it and it served us well, but the 12-14mpg around the city has been killer as of late.

Now to spend the weekend figuring out how to navigate this new beast!

Thanks to all on this board, you’ve been a great help! Maybe I’ll see some of you over in the XC60 forums!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Was gonna wire in my dashcam today, but got a bit scared of the A pillar handles. Couldn't find any info on whether or not there are screws under there. Just worried because i definitely broke them on my last car requiring a whole new rear hatch cover. Other than that, I found that the lower drivers area plastic pieces weren't put back with care, so the entire bottom piece spanning the door doesnt even snap in anywhere. The part with the hood release is also not secured right, so the wire loom right there may be getting pinched.

All the fun parts of buying used!

·
Registered
284 Posts
There are bolts under each cover on the sides of the handle. Pry up the covers, remove the bolts, and the whole A-pillar trim pulls straight out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
There are bolts under each cover on the sides of the handle. Pry up the covers, remove the bolts, and the whole A-pillar trim pulls straight out.
Aha! I thought so but didnt have the right tool to pry with. Every video i watched online made no mention of it!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Aha! I thought so but didnt have the right tool to pry with. Every video i watched online made no mention of it!
Any small flat head screwdriver will do the job. Might leave a slight mark if you're not careful. Or else there's a "bone trim tool" that Volvo/iPd sell. Very straightforward, I've done it several times to check on the sunroof drain hoses.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Any small flat head screwdriver will do the job. Might leave a slight mark if you're not careful. Or else there's a "bone trim tool" that Volvo/iPd sell. Very straightforward, I've done it several times to check on the sunroof drain hoses.
I have a full set! I just couldnt find them earlier. Now I just gotta figure out where to wire the negative up to. Going in the front where the drivers footwell is

·
Registered
33 Posts
Man. Nice part about owning a car that didnt majorly change for so long is getting junkyard parts. Picked up a bunch of the interior trim push pin things, some wood trim pieces, a visor with the homelink buttons im hoping will just work, and one headlight all for 32$!

The "donor" car also had a trailer hitch im thinking about going back and getting. IT looks VERY integrated into the car at a first glance. Worht trying to take it off or just get a new one from somewhere? I'd like to get a camper at some point and this would be perfect!

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Hitch normally attaches with 4 large bolts, comes out pretty reasonably. If the hitch is "integrated" with an electrical connection then it probably has a trailer module (TRM), run the harness back to see where it goes into the vehicle and unplug the module and harness. I "think" the module is located right below the REM on the left side of the vehicle. Tthe TRM provides an electrical interface to the trailer plus it "notifies" the transmission when a trailer is connected in order to change shift patterns.

Homelink should work fine with power, press both outside buttons and hold (10-15 seconds?) for clearing out any old door data.

Reactions: ace417

·
Registered
98 S70 Base, 06 S40 T5 M66 FWD, 08 C70 M66, 11 XC90 V8, 13 C70 P*
948 Posts
As usual, ggleavitt is spot on. I would go ahead and snag the hitch if you can access it. The challenge may be in dropping the spare out of the way, since you normally have to lower it in order to angle the hitch out/in. I’ve seen a couple of XC90s in the yard with hitches but the wheels are pulled and the back end was resting on the spare.

One other caution is to know which TRM you need. Volvo changed them at least once early on and the wiring harnesses/connections differ. I ordered the wiring harness/TRM for my ‘04 a couple of years after we bought it (the one in my avatar) but didn’t realize they changed in ‘05 so had the wrong one. Fortunately a buddy of mine had an ‘05 and bought it off me at full price so I didn’t have to pay return shipping.

BD

·
Registered
3,139 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
By integrated, it looked like the exhaust hangars were in there in some way. I just took a peek, said "I definitely don't have the tools for that" and put it on my radar. I'll double check for a module when I go back for it. Spare is more than likely in the way but maybe i can get the dudes onsite to move it? Or maybe just slash it if its just the rubber in the way?

·
Registered
98 S70 Base, 06 S40 T5 M66 FWD, 08 C70 M66, 11 XC90 V8, 13 C70 P*
948 Posts
Yeah, you’d definitely need the guys in the yard to lift it for you - slashing the rubber of the spare won’t do you much good. Even if you managed to cut the rubber completely off the rearward third/half of the spare, I don’t think you can clear the back of the hitch.

With the spare out of the way, it’s really pretty quick to remove with a breaker bar. Here’s a decent write-up of the install in the first post of this thread: Trailer hitch installation on a XC90 ( PHOTOS )

BD

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
I was curious to see what's inside a TRM-

The big chips are ST Microelectronics VND920 solid state relays.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Finally

1) fixed my parking sensors... #3 was showing an error... was easy to do. Though I dropped the bolt into the bumper, it wasn't hard to get out, I didn't need a magnet like everyone says... but can use a bent hangar and pull it through the side hole, using a flashlight. Easy peasy. And for all those that think your problem might be the wiring harness.. I doubt it, because my harness looked awful, and works fine, and these sensors fail quite often. I still have 2 original ones, but one failed sometime in 2012, and now #3 in 2018.

2) AND..... rejuventated the cracked and chafed leather seats, and worn leather steering wheel.. Am shocked how nice it came out...look like new again. a company in Virginia named Leather World Technologies sell the dye colorant and match it to your interior leather.

3) AND replaced the burnt out radio keypad bulbs. There's only two.

Now all is left is the exhaust pipe bracket, but might have to weld it.

·
Registered
705 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
More of a what I want to fix post. One of my side view mirrors has play in it. Not the actual glass delaminating. But there is side to side play where it pivots. These are the type that retract with the button. Has anyone ever taken one of these apart to get to the inside mechanism?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

2361 - 2380 of 2423 Posts