SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

2181 - 2200 of 2211 Posts

·
Registered
2009 XC90 V8
128 Posts
Dual rear fog lights! Thanks to this thread:

https://forums.swedespeed.com/#/topics/270233?page=1

Ordered harness (#8693010), popped in a bulb, and voila. Ordered some LEDs in the same flavor (H21W) but we’ll see if they cause a lamp error message.
Glad it worked for you too! Welcome to the dual rear fog light club!
Thanks! LEDs didn’t work out - they work, but once the switch is turned off, I got the dreaded error message. Needs resistors?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Are those 3mm LEDs??? I really want to do this and I want it as close to that look as possible.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Coded Alternator is out of the Sport, I took my time and probable pulled some extra stuff I didn't need to in order to make extra room. I stripped the angle gear in this vehicle in 2016 and got a "new" style which included a newer heat bracket over the right side axle, that prevented the alternator from coming out. I removed the heat shield and the axle support bearing block, then it was sorta reasonably easy to get out (I followed another post and detached all the fuel line supports including on the back bank). Bosch reman alternator arrived late tonight, I'll get everything put back together tomorrow. I'll put a cooling duct on this one and try to put it back, that's gonna be interesting. When I'm done I'll write up any observations on the V8 thread, if not on this job then with the VOR when I do it in a couple weeks.

IMG_3080.jpg

IMG_3083.jpg

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Is that timing cover seep or leftover from the PS pump?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I drained the water for the last time after changing the head gasket and oil cooler exploded oil into my coolant system. Was a lovely milkshake mixture but i persevered lol. Added some lovely blue coolant and now all is right with the world... For now lol

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Is that timing cover seep or leftover from the PS pump?

Both. Once I'm done I'll give the bottom a decent wash, gonna be tough to show how clean the rest is until then. VOR is going to be similar I'll suspect. I have yet to pull the belly pan (have space for only one vehicle at a time in the garage) but I'll guess it's that way based on the close mileage.

I'm intending to try the duct, let's see how it works tomorrow. It's tight up there, I'll have to figure out a good angle to get it in and up while I gently thread the bolts in. On the ground.

One thing I wanted to mention about pulling the belt today. I replaced my tensioner a couple years ago and kept the holder. Best thing around, you only need to pull around 3/8 inch before the tool slips down on the spring frame. While you still have to take your time on the tensioner (slow and steady is the key), less travel of the fluid filled center damper is better than more travel in my opinion. Another good reason to save your holder if you use new.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
If someone has been successful in getting a ducted alternator installed from a garage floor without dropping the subframe, PM me. Think I may need to loosen up or pull the rear manifold, have a set of gaskets from another job lying around and will use them if I do. Already loosened the motor mounts and jacked the engine up a few inches but between the manifold and the top alternator bolt casting on the block, I cannot get the alternator to go all the way back. I'll take another stab at it tomorrow, I would like to see how difficult it is to get an alternator with a duct installed, then I'll decide what to do with the VOR.

·
Registered
804 Posts
If someone has been successful in getting a ducted alternator installed from a garage floor without dropping the subframe, PM me. Think I may need to loosen up or pull the rear manifold, have a set of gaskets from another job lying around and will use them if I do. Already loosened the motor mounts and jacked the engine up a few inches but between the manifold and the top alternator bolt casting on the block, I cannot get the alternator to go all the way back. I'll take another stab at it tomorrow, I would like to see how difficult it is to get an alternator with a duct installed, then I'll decide what to do with the VOR.
Can you leave the duct on loose (screws loosely started) so that there is some wiggle room, or

install the duct after by getting the alternator started with one bolt, but not fully installed?

I would avoid pulling the rear manifold ... bolts and nuts like to get rusty etc etc

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
No way of sliding it through the hole you took the picture of if removing the rear control arm bolt?

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
New alternator went back in as it came out, no revised duct. I expended 3 hours this morning to determine that it was not going to work "as was", original cover got put on and installed. If someone can install a ducted alternator from the floor without dropping the subframe, send me proof and I'll not only hold you in high public esteem but you'll get 12 ounces of the finest raw honey my bees can produce.

I'll noodle on this a awhile and do a write-update in the V8 thread. I followed the customary workflows and probably removed some stuff that I didn't need to but it's done and the code is gone. VOR will need one at some point (I bought two), now I have practice.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Knocked out the serpentine belt and idler pulleys. One of them was making noise since I bought it. All of them needed changing but one in particular was really gritty when spinning by hand. I also replaced the brake booster vacuum switch. No more buzzing from the pump and no more pulley whine. I can finally hear the V8 without the added noises!

·
Registered
2009 XC90 V8
128 Posts

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Plugs, both air filters and the fuel filter along with an oil change. I also am happy to report that I took the opportunity to inspect the rear valve cover on the v8 and there is no wetness. Slight seep along the gasket edge but I was expecting more. Ps pump however does appear to have begun its leak. I also shimmed the upper torque mount. I took it off, removed the cover and used sections of a plastic putty knife to shim the rubber left to right. There is very little movement in the engine now.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Sunday drive to check out the alternator repair, I found myself with a lowish tank in front of a Gull on Camano Island yesterday that sold no-ethanol 92. I'm sure it's me but the response of the V8 seems a lot more zippy.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Sunday drive to check out the alternator repair, I found myself with a lowish tank in front of a Gull on Camano Island yesterday that sold no-ethanol 92. I'm sure it's me but the response of the V8 seems a lot more zippy.
Oh man.. Italian tune up time!!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Don't we do Italian tune ups every time we drive our V8s? :D:-D

2181 - 2200 of 2211 Posts